Blue skies from now on....I hope

peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited January 30, 2012 in Wildlife
Posting this because it's the first photo op I've had in my area in ages.

We're not sure what's been happening around here (Central NJ)....Hurricane Irene, an early snow, a warm winter?...but many wildlife photographers here have noticed a real decline in the wildlife population this winter. The result is a couple months of going home after a day in the field with nothing to show for it. Very frustrating!!!!

Has anyone else ever experienced a real dry spell?

DSC8827-L.jpg

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Part of the answer may be found here. I have noticed a real decline in migratory birds at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge over the last seven years. Last year we experienced a drought and that decimated the vegetation and resulted in the slowest year I have ever seen at the MINWR.

At the Viera Wetlands 2-3 years ago they hired a contractor to spray for mosquito's. The lad used a spray that was a tad too strong and it not only killed the mosquito's but it also killed off the fish and frogs. A couple of wood storks ate the dead fish and they died also. Since there was no food source the wetlands had very few birds hanging around for quite awhile.

Outstanding picture BTW.

I have also observed a significant decline at the wetlands (I would say around 40-50%) as the area surrounding the wetlands was developed.

Last year was a landmark year for extreme weather occurrences and that could account for the changes you are experiencing.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Beautiful bird Pear! The birds seem to be coming back a little early this year. We have Roseate Spoonbills every day, which used to be a rare occurrence. A cousin saw a Brown Pelican the other day, which I have never seen here. I have not noticed a decline in birds here, but I will pay more attention.
  • peargrinpeargrin Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Harry, thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I read the Audubon article you referenced wth dismay. Seeing the quantifiable
    impact of global warming on avian migration makes the problem so much more vivid and alarming. I will pass it along to other photographers in my area. Thanks for sharing it. I was hoping we were just having a bad season, but now I wonder. Thanks also for your very kind review of my bluebird! Very appreciated coming from an expert like you!

Pam, many thanks! I'm so happy like like it! And at least I know we can always travel to LA if the birds run out here.... Spoonbills! Lucky you! I hope you get some great pics, and I look forward to seeing them!

Best wishes,
    Pear