Options

lightroom 3.6 and smugmug publishing

piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited August 6, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I keep getting timeouts and errors on smugmug album publishing via the built in plugin in Lightroom 3.6 (latest AFAIK). any clues?

Also, the workflow for slapping up a web album seems like more work than Google Picasa (my previous album hosting). I've upgraded from my old Canon 350D to a 60D and I want to start working in Raws rather than JPEGs, and I'm quite happy with LR's adjustment tools, but the workflow is just not as easy and smooth

Comments

• Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    You may want to look into this: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smugmug/publish

I find it far better than the built-in publish-to-smugmug functionality (which isn't in LR4 anyway).

--Paul
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    well, I haven't tried that one yet, but I did find the updated smugmug plugin from smugmug and gave that a try. publishing an album of 114 photos from my 60D (shot as raws, and uploading as full resolution), and the first try only got about 1/2 of them, I've restarted Publish a dozen times since yesterday and there's now 8 left... the errors are 'timeouts' usually.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    You need to try the one I linked to.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    You may want to look into this: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smugmug/publish

I find it far better than the built-in publish-to-smugmug functionality (which isn't in LR4 anyway).

--Paul

Our plugin works beautifully with LR4 :)

And we just enhanced it.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

As of today, yes. deal.gif I'll look forward to checking it out.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    When I have had the timeout problems, it has more often then not been a bad Internet connection. I would recommend that if you continue to have problems to check your line status. SmugMug has a tool at http://smugmug.com/test/line-quality/ that I use at the hotels I travel to. Some of the "High Speed Wireless" is slower than dialup which would cause problems. I would recommend checking that as well.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    turns out my upload problems were entirely due to Kaspersky 2012 Antivirus. I disabled it, and poof, uploads worked. So I re-enabled it and added an exception for Lightroom, and uploaded 133 pics last night as an album without a glitch.

in kaspersky, go to 'settings', 'advanced settings' (the cardboard box tab), 'threads and exclusions', and click on 'settings' under 'exclusions', then 'trusted applications' and add "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\lightroom.exe", and set it to 'do not scan opend files', 'do not monitor application activity', 'do not monitor child application activty', and 'do not scan network traffic'. then "OK" your way back out of that rat-maze. Odds are, only one of those checks needs to be set, but I set them all as I have no patience for eliminating this. This is the 2nd time Kaspersky has bit me in the butt, odds are I won't be renewing it and will go back to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). I switched to Kaspersky when my wife got hit with a 0day Facebook trojan that MSE didn't recognize for almost a week.

p.s. line status had already been tested and confirmed as rock solid. I'm a computer/network engineer.
  • Options
    lippyjrlippyjr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2012
    I had the problem last month when I just started and contacted Smug mug and they suggested it was the inter-net connection and after tried from an other location it worked fine.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    my home connection is rock stable, static IP ADSL via a regional internet provider, not the phone *or* cable company. the problem was my antivirus software, since i made an exception for Lightroom, I've had zero problems.
  • Options
    ChuchellaChuchella Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    Kaspersky was the culprit for me too!
    pierce wrote: »
    turns out my upload problems were entirely due to Kaspersky 2012 Antivirus. I disabled it, and poof, uploads worked. So I re-enabled it and added an exception for Lightroom, and uploaded 133 pics last night as an album without a glitch.

in kaspersky, go to 'settings', 'advanced settings' (the cardboard box tab), 'threads and exclusions', and click on 'settings' under 'exclusions', then 'trusted applications' and add "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\lightroom.exe", and set it to 'do not scan opend files', 'do not monitor application activity', 'do not monitor child application activty', and 'do not scan network traffic'. then "OK" your way back out of that rat-maze. Odds are, only one of those checks needs to be set, but I set them all as I have no patience for eliminating this. This is the 2nd time Kaspersky has bit me in the butt, odds are I won't be renewing it and will go back to MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). I switched to Kaspersky when my wife got hit with a 0day Facebook trojan that MSE didn't recognize for almost a week.

p.s. line status had already been tested and confirmed as rock solid. I'm a computer/network engineer.

I had exactly the same problem and I'll be darned if it wasn't Kaspersky for me too!
    Now my uploading is fine.

Thanks for sharing this fix!!
  • Options
    ChuchellaChuchella Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2012
    Kaspersky was the problem for me too!!
    pierce wrote: »

I followed your instructions, but that still wasn't enough. I called Kaspersky and after several go-rounds with them requesting that I send them reports (which was useless), I figured out the following solution which worked like a charm:

You must include "your" Smugmug URL as a trusted URL. Here's how:
    Go to Kaspersky > Settings > Protection Center > Web Anti-Virus > Trusted URL's tab > then....

Cut and past the like for "your" smugmug account into this box and save. That's what finally did the trick for me.