DSS 95 -Three Up High - Two Down Low

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited February 4, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
From a beautiful day in San Diego's Balboa Park... Looking for C&C, general preferences, and theme worthiness.

1) One-Way Staircase
20120128Balboa-Park019-22-L.jpg

2) Downtown
20120128Balboa-Park019-7-Edit-L.jpg

3) Fuente del Prado
20120128Balboa-Park019-59-Edit-L.jpg

4) Mirrored Ceiling
20120128Balboa-Park019-26-L.jpg

5) Arboretum Skies
20120128Balboa-Park019-44-Edit-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Very nice! I Like #1, 2 and 3 most, but to be honest, I'm not quite sure about how the theme perspective should be headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I like #1 best as a photo, though it is probably weakest on the theme. Hmmm.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I think number 3 might comply with the theme the most, how would it look in BnW? I like the outward tension of all the eye-lines facing away from the centre(except for that one girl walking on the left, what was her problem?:D).
  • SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I like one the best as a photo but I agree that it might not reflect the theme enough. #3 fits with the theme but I don't know if it has that "wow" factor.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I like #4 and #5 for the up high part of the challenge .. I can't decide which one I like more, but I'm leaning towards #4... just a little more than #5.

It's unique!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited February 1, 2012
    This is hard. #1 puzzled me the first time I saw it because it almost feels two dimensional to me, but it is an intriguing shot.

#3 is clear match for the theme and a good shot, and I like it. But I would agree that it doesn't have the "wow" factor. I wonder whether tweaking the processing on #1 or #3 would help?

Looking at #4, I'm wondering whether a significant crop would help? There is a lot going on in that image and the second set of knees distracts my eye. Hope that helps!
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I really like #3 and feel it hits the theme well. thumb.gif

I would try converting everything but the fountain (from the tiles at the waters edge in) to black and white. I think the slight color left on the fountain will make it pop. But since the color is minimal it wouldn't over shadow the great surrounding elements. This is one of those great images I really want to play with!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I like 1, 3 & 4, in that order. I see the theme fine in #1 - it's got to be a looking straight down shot of some stairs - the footprints are cool. I really like #3, the comp & the processing, but to me the angle of the shot isn't as dramatic so to me it doesn't fit the theme as well as #1 or #4. I think I'd like #4 better if the white round thing was cropped off the left side, and maybe the black thing on the right - but it doesn't distract me as much as the white thing. But I really like the simplicity & color of #1.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I agree with Lillian - 1, 3, and 4.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Thanks everybody! Still thinking and tweaking the pp on a couple. I'm outta town for work this weekend, but have my camera with me if there's any time and I get inspired. I'm glad to see the theme come through in 1. It' pretty simple, but I'm drawn to it, followed by #3, but it needs something...

As usual, the comments are helpful and provide the context for improvement thumb.gif
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I like 3 the best. I like the color and the processing. it catches my eye and keeps me looking.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I like #3. I got the feeling of looking town. I like the colors.