Options

The Leopards of Luangwa

africaddictafricaddict Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited February 27, 2012 in Wildlife
Whilst in Sth Luangwa, Zambia I had a lot of fun with vehicle (hand held) spot lit and -EV/high ISO combined images on night time predators, in trips past I used to use my flash, high bracket mount, remote cord and better beamer
which was a lot to balance and results were very much hit and miss, dependent on getting that BB lined up just right.
With the D3s, that all changed and decided to try the spot lit method exclusively whilst on Sth Luangwa's night drives, I won't be going back to the BB method at least for night drives that's for sure.
I had Patrick Bentley (ex Lion Camp guide and a fine photographer) along with me for the week whilst @ Tafika camp and we had a ball practising this method.
Below are a few images using this method.

Spot lit Leopard on baby Impala
One night on such a drive we heard a bleating and scuffle, upon investigating and after negotiating the heavy undergrowth, we came upon this female Leopard on a newborn Impala, giving me a great down the lens stare.
We spent over an hour observing this very relaxed girl.
I opened up the exp 1/2 stop on the Impala's head to extract a little extra detail, whilst trying to eliminate any undue noise.

D3s 500VR 1/250s f/4 ISO1600 -2EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D316434a-XL.jpg

It almost appears as if this leopard is kissing the baby impala goodnight.

D3s 500VR 1/250s f/4 ISO1600 -2EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D316398a-XL.jpg

The night stalker
D700 70-200VRII 1/160s f/2.8 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 2/3EV. F/F Nsefu sector, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D716133A3-XL.jpg

Lightening cub
A 4 month old leopard cub (another shy one higher up) waiting for mum's return with an electrical storm & lightening bolt in the background .Taken using a high a multiple frame rate (and a lotta luck) during the storm.
D3s 500VR 1/100s f/4 ISO3200 -2 1/3EV. F/F
Chipela Chayumba region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D318427a-XL.jpg

Waiting for mum, Leopard cub portrait
D700 70-200VRII 1/640s f/7 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 1/3EV. F/F
Chipela Chayumba region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D716513-XL.jpg

His sister was well hidden, higher up this Whitethorn tree, we didn't sight her for over an hour!
D700 70-200VRII 1/125s f/8 ISO1600@ 200mm -2 1/3EV. F/F.
Chipela Chayumba, Mfuwe region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

D318538-XL.jpg

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc
WEBSITE
"My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am"
D5|D500
|D810|14-24|24-70|70-200f/2.8|70-200f/4|400 f/2.8E|500 f/4VR|Sigma150f/2.8|Sigma 24f/1.4ART

Comments

• Options
    StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Fantastic!! I'm going to have to put Zambia on the Bucket list! I love the lighting on the cats, but have to wonder if it bothers them? How long are the night safaris?bowdown.gif
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Stunning pictures, wonderful detail.......just gorgeous, nothing more to be said.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    These are terrific! Could you please explain the technique a little bit more. Do you mean the cats were lit by vehicle lights? And how about the -EV/High ISO combined shots--I don't know exactly what that means, but would love to learn. Thanks, Pam
  • Options
    byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2012
    Great Great Great shots.
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    africaddictafricaddict Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Appreciate the comments everyone, many thanks.
    PGM wrote: »
    These are terrific! Could you please explain the technique a little bit more. Do you mean the cats were lit by vehicle lights? And how about the -EV/High ISO combined shots--I don't know exactly what that means, but would love to learn. Thanks, Pam

The leopards were lit by a vehicle hand held spot light only, NO flash.
    -EV/High ISO combined images means setting your exp comp between -2 to -3 value (you're under exposing the image) in combination with changing your ISO value
    (generally above ISO800) to give you shutter speeds (enough to freeze the subject) of 1/100s and greater.
    *This is more suited to semi pro/pro DSLR's giving quality high ISO images from 1600 and above.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Marc
    WEBSITE
    "My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am"
    D5|D500
    |D810|14-24|24-70|70-200f/2.8|70-200f/4|400 f/2.8E|500 f/4VR|Sigma150f/2.8|Sigma 24f/1.4ART

• Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Nice captures. Looks like patience paid off nicely.
  • Options
    NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    That must have been a great experience. The D3s is an amazing piece of equipment as demonstrated with your stuff here. Nicely donethumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Options
    austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    great series and thanks for sharing
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Marvelous set of images with some good info too. clap.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    these are simply superb... National Geographic quality images! i'm envious... i almost made it over to SA to shoot the Kruger NP, but then i got laid off, and my finances never recovered... :(
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    KondwaniKondwani Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2012
    Wow!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    these are simply superb... National Geographic quality images! i'm envious... i almost made it over to SA to shoot the Kruger NP, but then i got laid off, and my finances never recovered... :(

Just found a link to your photos....and I had to register to the forum just to say your shots are wonderful /superb /stunning. Having been to South Luangwa before I can appreciate the skills needed with some of these shots. I can only hope that I get a fraction of images of this quality when I return there in March, to experience life in the "Emerald" season. I am impressed with your spotlight technique as my last attempt was very hit and miss and I was not happy using flash .....I will try boosting the ISO a bit more.....any more tips ?.
    I would also be interested to know if your shots were hand held from the vehicle or did you use a beany / monopod ?
    Once again wow! and thanks for increasing my expectations.
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    I like the effect, especially where there is no lit foreground and the beam is centered on the face of the animal--it becomes renaissance portraiture (chiaroscuro). As LED flashlights continue to become more spectrum-balanced and powerful, and cameras decrease noise at high ISOs, this method should become more useful. Like you, I've found the Better Beamer too awkward to use often. Also, compared with conventional flash, your spotlight method appears to have less image-marring glare (or was this post-processing?). Thanks very much for sharing your technique and fine images.
    ---John
  • Options
    Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Wow! Awesome series of shot Marc, absolutely love the last two of the Leopard cub jun the tree. I share your passion for wildlife, particularly African, so real pleasure looking through your galleries and looking forward to seeing more!