Options

Post processing -crossing the line?

mark foxmark fox Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited February 1, 2012 in People
Here is a picture of my girlfriend that I took some time ago,

Canon 7D with a 85 1.8 if I remember correctly.

So, prior to getting feedback on another forum, I already knew that the subject was underexposed, the background was somewhat distracting and that it was soft. I know there were a lot of problems with the photo.

Does this cross the line in post processing, and is the result better, worse, or no matter what I do to it, a bad photo? (I did this very quickly)

Comments

• Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Maybe its just my computer but all I see are two small blue boxes with question marks in them. You may need to check your links.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    Maybe its just my computer but all I see are two small blue boxes with question marks in them. You may need to check your links.

Strange, maybe the way I embedded them.

Anyway, I updated the file and made it into one.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    ok cool they are working now

For me I dont think the picture is working in either of those two posted. In the first one like you stated the subject is under exposed. For me the background could work just fine. When you lightened up the second you lost some of the detail in the background that I actually think could work and your subject, even though she is more visible, didnt light up well. She has some odd dark spots in her skin tone on her face and the light seems to have two very distinct lines through her face.

maybe attempt another post process version? I think given enough time in photoshop/light room (whatever your poison is) it could work.

the subject is fine and she looks good. Its just the lighting I think needs to be worked on if at all possible.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    ok cool they are working now

For me I dont think the picture is working in either of those two posted. In the first one like you stated the subject is under exposed. For me the background could work just fine. When you lightened up the second you lost some of the detail in the background that I actually think could work and your subject, even though she is more visible, didnt light up well. She has some odd dark spots in her skin tone on her face and the light seems to have two very distinct lines through her face.

maybe attempt another post process version? I think given enough time in photoshop/light room (whatever your poison is) it could work.

the subject is fine and she looks good. Its just the lighting I think needs to be worked on if at all possible.

Okay, I'll start from scratch and see if I can do anything.

I'm not sure about the lines through her face that you talk about.

I hope I'm exporting my files correctly. I use the sRGB color space, but I've read that I should use the prophoto, but last time I did that, the colors messed up.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    If I may, lol, after my bird picture some months ago. I would open in LR, use the burn brush on the highly exposed area. Hit the O key to make sure you have covered that area, then while in that brush, tic the exposure down about two or maaaayyybe 3. Not on her. then I would close the brush, and hit the overall exposure to bring her up, without blowing out the whitish area (because we burned it). One reason is the background is insignificant, other than being blown. sometimes burning an area, allows for overall leveling of exposure. I would try that.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    I actually liked the vertical lines on the #1, they didn't distract much and gave the image a strong "built".
    As for your general questinon: unless you're shooting as PJ, there is no such thing as "crossing the line" (well, one exception: going nuts with HDR :-).
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2012
    mark fox wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the lines through her face that you talk about.

I really hope you dont mind me doing this but if you look at the area I circled in red, youll notice that there are light spots from what I would assume is some flare from the outside light. caused a minimal hot spot there but noticeable (at least on my computer screen) ne_nau.gif

dgrin-1.jpg
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2012
    Just for Dgrins, lmao, I saved the image and worked on the top one. It was an experiment to see what i could do with it. I sent the PP to Mark, if he wants to repost it, he is more than welcome. Yes, those bands are hard to deal with lol. I have been practicing LR on skin and details, and sometimes when someone needs some extra opinions, it gives me a chance to "practice".
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2012
    I think its worth noting that I picked out my worst photo in terms of technicalities. Although I do like the subject, the photo lacks what really makes a photo.

And I don't want to condone heavy editing because of a badly taken photo; I know that I should be shooting for the photo and not the edit, but in some cases, it can't be helped I supposed. It's all a learning process :)

Well I made another attempt, but it looks quite similar to the previous one I edited but the process was a little different.

I used Knoll light factory in photoshop to try and include some natural light on the face, I added a light vignette and then I changed several things in Lightroom. I also changed the position of the photo by rotating it so that the wall she leaning against is straight, and I also did the same with the background lines. In order to compensate for the crop, I extended the image out on the right hand side and basically used content aware to fill in the rest. The light 'streaks' that someone pointed out going through her hair were left untreated, but I think they are more subtle in this edit.

I think for a photo that is badly taken like this one, heavy editing, (the colored filiters you see on photos) may be the way to go. Although I didn't keep it like that, I might have to rethink it.