PENTAX K-01 announcement, mirrorless APS-C

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
edited February 7, 2012 in Cameras
The Pentax K-01 has been announced.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/hybrid/K-01_Black

This is a nicely specified mirrorless body with compatibility for standard Pentax "K-mount" lenses. The sensor is similar to that in the Pentax K-5 (and the Nikon D7000, for that matter) and built-in stabilization. Focus Peaking should be helpful for manual focus (I hope it works in video mode) and video mode supports up to 1080p30 (also 720p60).

Edit: This body supports the Pentax P-TTL standard flashes too. At $800 this will be a welcome addition to the Pentax system and preserves Pentax owners' lenses and accessories utility.

Edit2: I should specifically mention that this is an "interchangeable lens", mirrorless APS-C format body. The interchangeable lens capability is a major feature of this camera.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    It's definitely a very polarizing design. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth over at the Pentax forums.

My take: this was originally a Hoya-led project that Ricoh (new parent company) inherited. My guess is that the original design was more K-DSLR-like, and a designer was brought in at the last minute to give it some visual appeal.

There are some nice things about it: it looks like it has a lot of video-centric features. It also has focus-peaking which is nice for using all those great old manual focus K-mount lenses. And of course, it has more immediately available lenses (without an adapter) than any other mirrorless yet offered.

The lack of OVF/EVF (and apparently no easy way to add one), non-articulating screen, sheer size (It's not much smaller than my K-5) and lack of some higher end features (I need my TAv mode!) kind of ruin it for me. However, it will be interesting to see what the next generation brings.

More interesting is that Pentax has finally released a lens roadmap after a few years of Hoya silence: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pentax_k-mount_lens_roadmap/ there are rumors that some of these lenses may be FF compatible. Ricoh has not announced anything regarding FF DSLR, but they have stated publicly that they are willing to go toe-to-toe with Canon/Nikon. AND they are rumored to be trying to hire back engineers that were fired under the Hoya ownership.

Also, about the new 40mm XS lens-- if it uses the same optical formula as the DA 40 f/2.8 pancake, it'll be a winner. That lens is one of the highest regarded prime lenses that Pentax currently offers:http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-40mm-F2.8-Limited-Pancake-Lens.html
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited February 3, 2012
    Nice assessment, Mark. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I like that it will take all the legacy glass, I have 3 nice lenses. Maybe the focus peaking will be just as good as split-prism focusing? But still I pine for my FF digital MX... or maybe the K-01 is as close as I'll get. :-/

mx_5dii.JPG

regulation baseball, Pentax MX with 50/1.4 mounted, Canon 5DII with 35L mounted.

mx_5dii_3.JPG
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited February 3, 2012
    I like that it will take all the legacy glass, I have 3 nice lenses. Maybe the focus peaking will be just as good as split-prism focusing? But still I pine for my FF digital MX...

regulation baseball, Pentax MX with 50/1.4 mounted, Canon 5DII with 35L mounted.

The K-01 is narrower, and shorter, but significantly thicker than your MX film SLR, which is obviously much smaller than the 5d. Total volume displacement is probably about a wash, for whatever that's worth. ne_nau.gif
    edited February 3, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    The K-01 is narrower, and shorter, but significantly thicker than your MX film SLR, which is obviously much smaller than the 5d. Total volume displacement is probably about a wash, for whatever that's worth. ne_nau.gif

Well, at the mount it's the same thickness. And I think the MX is only taller at the prism. I love that Pentax went at least APS-C with the sensor, but I think a Full Frame digital MX would sell too. Fuji left the door open there.

I wish that kit pancake was 32mm f/1.4. Hopefully one is coming, along with an 18mm f/2.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I have a few Pentax lenses too. This camera looks really nice, actually. Mark, do you mean it doesn't have manual mode? If not, then it's out of the question for me :)
    edited February 3, 2012
    I have a few Pentax lenses too. This camera looks really nice, actually. Mark, do you mean it doesn't have manual mode? If not, then it's out of the question for me :)

Has a manual mode! (PASM, etc.)

Doesn't have TAv mode, which is only available on the higher end Pentaxes anyway. (K20, K5): Front control dial controls shutter speed, rear control dial dial controls aperture, ISO "floats" based on metering. It's sort of like manual, but not as manual as full manual. If that makes sense.
    edited February 3, 2012
    It has manual mode. I think he wants an auto-ISO shutter and aperture priority mode.

871_1327951879_K01_Black_TopView_large.jpg

(what are those goofy red and green buttons?)
    -Jack

edited February 3, 2012
    It has manual mode. I think he wants an auto-ISO shutter and aperture priority mode.

Yep, it's a stupid reason to buy/not buy a camera. But no one's ever accused me of making good (or even rational!) decisions. :lol
    edited February 3, 2012

871_1327951879_K01_Black_TopView_large.jpg

(what are those goofy red and green buttons?)

Green is the classic Pentax Green button, which does oh-so-many wonderful things. see here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

Red button is for video recording.

Read somewhere that the two can also be custom programmed for other camera functions.
    edited February 3, 2012
    Ok, makes sense. This looks like what I'd want in a canon mirrorless. This is an interesting camera.
    edited February 3, 2012
    Ok, makes sense. This looks like what I'd want in a canon mirrorless. This is an interesting camera.

It is. I'm getting over the looks. The biggest drawback of all CSCs to date is the minimal selection of good and/or fast lenses. This thing lands with access to all Pentax lenses ever made.

So I guess you give up phase-detect AF (non-issue for me as I would be using it with manual primes) and a VF (meh) and a deep grip (meh) in exchange for a somewhat smaller camera that is basically silent and has no mirror slap. This is good. The noise of a mirror and the motion of holding a camera up to your eye can put people off. I'd like to try one.
    -Jack

edited February 4, 2012
    If it has 10x live view magnification, that would be really good for using old Pentax MF primes. They've got some good ones. And they're relatively cheap.
    edited February 4, 2012
    If it has 10x live view magnification, that would be really good for using old Pentax MF primes. They've got some good ones. And they're relatively cheap.

On my K-5 pressing the info button will provide zoom of 2x, 4x or 6x in AF mode, and up to 10x in manual focus mode. I believe that the K-01 will probably be similar.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I'm still trying to get the point of Pentax's latest/greatest. The K5 is exceptional. Why buy a camera that is pretty much as big, lacks an eye level viewfinder and looks like a bad parody of a Honda Element????
    edited February 4, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get the point of Pentax's latest/greatest. The K5 is exceptional. Why buy a camera that is pretty much as big, lacks an eye level viewfinder and looks like a bad parody of a Honda Element????

Well, 1st off, this isn't being positioned against the K5, it's priced considerably more downmarket. And for some people, being able to get K5 IQ with Pentax glass without buying a K5 is the point.

I personally don't care about the looks of the K-01, but I'm not impressed with the moaning and bellyaching about it's appearance. I take pictures with my camera, not of it. ne_nau.gif
    edited February 4, 2012
    Yeah, it's a great way to get K5 image quality (probably better) with Pentax glass while holding a heifer of camera at arms length. Sorry, I'm calling Epic Fail on this one.
    edited February 4, 2012
    Yeah, it's a great way to get K5 image quality (probably better) with Pentax glass while holding a heifer of camera at arms length. Sorry, I'm calling Epic Fail on this one.

Maybe. All this is being discussed ad nauseum on the Pentax forums and elsewhere. I guess I really don't care, except that I'd like to see Pentax successful. I will point out that the 4/3 camera sensors are too small, the K-01 is too big/heavy, the Fuji X 1 Pro is too expensive ... and yet they all seem to find buyers.

Interesting analysis/speculation of Pentax's plans for this camera here: http://www.robertstech.com/blog/?p=541
    edited February 6, 2012
    Some interesting tidbits I've picked up about this camera:

1. AF is very fast and accurate. Faster than my K-5 when it's in Live View mode.*
    2. I've read that AF will work in video mode. This is looking more and more like a very capable video machine.
    3. The 40 XS lens will fit on other K-mount cameras. What isn't clear is if it will be available seperately or only sold as part of a kit, as the current "DA-L" lenses are.

*Or maybe not. Jury's still out on this one, I guess.
    edited February 6, 2012

See below.
    So I guess you give up phase-detect AF (non-issue for me as I would be using it with manual primes) and a VF (meh) and a deep grip (meh) in exchange for a somewhat smaller camera that is basically silent and has no mirror slap. This is good. The noise of a mirror and the motion of holding a camera up to your eye can put people off. I'd like to try one.
    -Jack

edited February 6, 2012
    See below.

Accept it isn't somewhat smaller. It's virtually the same size as the K5 and lacks the K5's perfectly capable eye level optical viewfinder. Meanwhile, Kx and Kr owners who just want a step up in ISO/DR performance are given no choice at all. If this camera came with an EVF on par with the best that Olympus and Panasonic offer, it would be far better for the money.
    edited February 6, 2012
    pictures of and with the K-01 (pre-production models with early firmware) http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01-forum/174006-hands-photos-k-01-pentax-singapore-user-group.html
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    As a hobbyist with a lot of Pentax gear, I've been perplexed by their recent offerings. This K-01 does little to clarify things. They seem to go off on tangents without any coherent strategy. The 645D, for instance. The particularly odd Q, for another.

The folks at PF all love the backward compatibility, weather resistance, in-body shake reduction. Autofocus and - until the K-5 - noise, were lagging.

I use one of their odd-ball cameras from five years ago, the mid-level K200D. Weather sealed, top LCD, 10mp, no live view, no video. Decent specs for what it is. The replacement K-x and K-r can't take advantage of the new WR lenses. This K-01 can't either.

I'm very very close to jumping ship to Nikon, as their lineup of prime lenses have really picked up over the last few years, and the D5100 is a better match for me than the current offerings from Pentax.
    edited February 6, 2012
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    As a hobbyist with a lot of Pentax gear, I've been perplexed by their recent offerings. This K-01 does little to clarify things. They seem to go off on tangents without any coherent strategy. The 645D, for instance. The particularly odd Q, for another.

The folks at PF all love the backward compatibility, weather resistance, in-body shake reduction. Autofocus and - until the K-5 - noise, were lagging.

I use one of their odd-ball cameras from five years ago, the mid-level K200D. Weather sealed, top LCD, 10mp, no live view, no video. Decent specs for what it is. The replacement K-x and K-r can't take advantage of the new WR lenses. This K-01 can't either.

I'm very very close to jumping ship to Nikon, as their lineup of prime lenses have really picked up over the last few years, and the D5100 is a better match for me than the current offerings from Pentax.

Why not the K5? It's about the same size as your K200d, and probably getting down close to the price of the K200d new. :-D

I too have despaired over Pentax's lack of direction under Hoya. However, the new lens roadmap is a good start. And keep in mind they were only recently bought by Ricoh, so it's too soon for their stamp to really start showing.

I do think the entire Pentax USA team should be summarily dismissed, and replaced by competent people who understand what "marketing" is.
    edited February 6, 2012
    Why not the K5? It's about the same size as your K200d, and probably getting down close to the price of the K200d new. :-D

K200D was 600 - as much as I like the K-5, it is still 1200 even after some deep discounts, and some aspects of it are overkill for me.

I'm really hoping they slot something more interesting than the K-r above the K-01.

:encore
    edited February 6, 2012
    I do think the entire Pentax USA team should be summarily dismissed, and replaced by competent people who understand what "marketing" is.

nod.gif

I feel like I should buy a new Triumph Bonneville so I can have people tell me they think both my camera and motorcycle company went out of business decades ago. :bash
    edited February 7, 2012
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    nod.gif

I feel like I should buy a new Triumph Bonneville so I can have people tell me they think both my camera and motorcycle company went out of business decades ago. :bash

I have an Argus C4 camera you can borrow if you want. Works great!