Options

Something about nikon that could affect your Business, and your camera.

Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited March 21, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
http://www.change.org/petitions/nikon-inc-keep-selling-repair-parts-in-the-usa-as-they-have-always-done

Above is the petition. Below is what is written.

"" There's a firestorm running through the community of independent camera repair technicians after Nikon Inc. sent a letter to them on Monday, January 16, 2012, notifying them that the company will no longer supply repair parts to anyone except 23 Nikon authorized repair facilities (NARS), after July 13, 2012. The stated reason is "the technology underlying today's cameras is more complex than it has ever been, and in view of the specialization of technology as well as the specialized tools that are now necessary to perform repairs on this complex equipment..." Nikon states that they will not sell parts directly to consumers, either, so if you need a rubber grip, a battery door or a rubber zoom ring, your access to these simple parts will be restricted. (Update: Nikon retail dealers received the same notice on February 1, 2012)

The total ban on sales of parts to independent repair technicians or consumers has nothing to do with technology, training or even the quality of repairs. Few repairs require specialized software, specialized tools or specialized training that are out of the scope of knowledge that trained, qualified independent repair professionals already have. If specialized software, tools or knowledge were required for the installation of specific parts, it would make sense to restrict only those, not every screw and spring in the inventory.

While you might think that only a factory service center or NARS can provide competent repair, you would be wrong. Most repairs going to Nikon's factory service center are sub-contracted out, some even going across the border to Mexico. Some repairs are good and some repairs are shoddy -- on both sides of the fence. (Check http://www.contacthelp.com/directory/Shopping/Electronics/Nikon?ListingID=48 among others and read for yourself. Reports from the Better Business Bureau suggest Nikon's record on repairs handled through its own facility are not as good as most independent technicians. http://www.la.bbb.org/business-reviews/Commercial-Products-Manufacturer/Nikon-Inc-in-El-Segundo-CA-25750 )

No, this is not quality control. The real story here is restraint of trade. Nikon has been squeezing independents for years with increasingly poor parts service, poor communication, and long backorders.

What does the restriction of parts availability mean for Nikon equipment owners? If you happen to live near one of the 23 Nikon authorized repair facilities (NARS) throughout the United States, you're in luck. But what about the majority who are not near a NARS facility? What about the others who use a local qualified repair professional of their choice? It means access to repairs will become problematic, at best. It means consumer choice and convenience in accessing repair will be reduced. If you are a professional relying on your Nikon equipment, you might not be able to obtain fast repairs from your reliable local independent photo technician. Repairs may be more costly since competition in the field of aftermarket service is reduced. It also means that the value of used equipment may be reduced.

By comparison, Canon does not have this policy and does an excellent job of supplying independent repair facilities with the parts they need for fast repairs. Are Canon cameras so much less technical and easy to repair compared to Nikon? No, they are not.

Members of the Society of Photo-Technologists ( www.spt.info ), which has represented independent camera repair shops for more than 50 years, are asking everyone who has any interest in Nikon to urge the company to rethink this new policy.

In addition to signing this petition, please send a note to the president of Nikon Inc, Mr. Yasuyuki Okamoto, 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064, letting him know that restricting parts availability to a select group of 24 Nikon authorized repair stations is bad for customer service, bad for customer good-will, and bad for business in general. You can also phone Nikon at 631-547-4200 during regular business hours to voice your opinion.""

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    This week I switched from Nikon to Canon because of this kind of stuff. Nikon, in my opinion, has a premium price associated with it. For that premium price I always wanted premium services. I was always jealous of the local Canon shooters when Canon would show up at local events with big glass to borrow, free sensor cleanings, etc. Nikon, non-existent. Now they throw this service policy out there and make it so the _one_ SLR repair shop in my community can no longer take care of my gear should I need them to.

Last straw. I'm not going to write anyone. I'm not going to complain. I "voted with my dollars" and sent them to Canon. Of course, not everyone will go that route. This worked for me and solved my personal needs.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I wonder what the marketing Dept. of Nikoff thought of this move?

Obviously they are trying to salvage some servicing $$ but I wonder at what overall cost to the brand?
    Nikoff have been trying to play catchup to canon since the early days of Digital when they lost the dominance they had with film camera's abut I can't see this move enderaing themselves to any users.

I wonder how this move will go with media organizations that have dozens of High end cameras that when they break, they want them fixed fast. The big ones here used to have a decent in house repair facility a lot of the time, I don't think the media companies would apreciate loosing their in house servicing.?

Can't see the company making any PR value out of this move that's for sure.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    I just ordered the d4 and thinking of ordering grips now.. I also shoot d700 and 5dmkii my sb910 flash I just received did come with better packing, case, filters and feels durable and has a stand whereas the 580exii had flash and case.

I'm not a fan of canon as much with 5dii vs d700 cuts svc was always good with Nikon but now ehhh, I haven't dealt with canons
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Media orgs are nps, so they get loaners, testers, fast service and preferred treatment
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    wow! a shame. I have been a die hard nikon shooter since 1996! with this news, I might have to go to canon. no experience with canon though, but I need a company that will back up their product. gonna go check out some canons tomorrow. ugh! shame on you nikon
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    I don't like this kind of corporate manipulation.

In future I'll be looking to Canon to replace my current equipment.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    I had parts on order and asked the tech he did confirm it, I asked if he had grips for the d4 to order them so I can replace when the unglued he had none :)
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Since this thread has popped up again, might as well add a bit about my switch to Cannon now that I'm a couple weeks in. I saved over $2300.00 in comparative costs to Nikon. I spent that money on more Canon glass. It took a few sessions to dial in the shooting profiles I needed to match my Nikon rig. The Canon gear is probably a little sharper (not always helpful), but otherwise they are quite comparable. Ergonomics wise, well, that's the one big down side. Nikon is just put together a little better in that regard. I can really tell the difference after 4 hours lugging this brick around. And that is the best way to describe what a Canon SLR feels like, a brick. That said, the sexy ergonomics of the Nikon isn't worth $2300, great local service, better rental options, and a collection of fellow photographers who I can now share gear with. I wish I could have it all. At the end of the day I was surprised how little it mattered and how easy it was to switch.

My meaningless advice: If you're considering moving to Canon, you have about another week and a half to save hundreds of bucks on Canon gear with the current instant rebate going on. If you have a bag or two of glass to replace, now would seem optimal. The price on most Nikon gear remains quite high. It should be easy to unload. Then you can get all that gear back, plus some, with the current sale.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Reminds me about the auto repair business some time back when the manufacturers were trying to squeeze out the independents. Each make had their own diagnostic tools and such. It took an Act of Congress and the OBD (and subsequent OBD II) law of a common diagnostic port to change that. Now all cars sold in the US have a common on-board diagnostic port and software interface to troubleshoot problems, so independent shops need only buy one diagnostic device.

It was all about making sure the car dealers got all the repair traffic and repair revenue. Nikon is pulling the same stunt here.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Bill, I'm not sure it's the same. It depends on what the criteria is to become a Nikon authorized repair facility. I don't believe Nikon owns those facilities. Maybe the "equipment" they need to use is leased or bought from Nikon - I don't know. But, it would be interesting to see what is involved with getting and maintaining that authorization.
  • Options
    FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    I agree, it is a shame that companies absue the power and start to forget that its the customers that helped get there where they are today! Thsi is fundamental in retail. I am shocked to see Nikon behaving in such a way, I just feel that it is another compnay that is going to the dogs.
    “ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Off to ask the nearest Authorized service center...Pho-Tech in Hesston Ks...email sent.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    I am a Canon guy, and have had 2 experiences with their service. Once sent in my new flash, after only owning it a week, the front area that has the red cover, covering the infared receiver, got cracked somehow. They replaced it at no charge. Second time send\t in two camera bodies on Monday (overnighted) after both had issues on weekend shoots. Both repaired and back to me by Thursday. The second time I was a CPS member, but still to have repair both in about 24 hours (received Tuesday shipped back to me Wednesday) was awesome. I had always liked Canon, but that kind of service is just awesome. And they usually have free clean and checks at the major conferences WPPI, Imaging USA for CPS members.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2012
    Yeah Ive been waiting for parts for 3 months now from them. nikon is sucking