Options

How much is it worth?

LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
edited February 16, 2012 in Sports
I reached out to a very popular motorsports website to see if they were looking for any photog's to cover a motocross series in the north east. They responded and asked me what I wanted for all the race photo's for all the rounds this upcoming season. I shot some of the rounds of this series last season, the one's that were kinda local for me. The series has races in New Jersey up to Maine (about 6-7 hour drive each way) being the farthest. I am pretty sure that this website like's the quality of photo's I take or they wouldn't have responded to my inquiry.
I havent responded to the email yet, as I said I shot a few of the rounds last season and sold a decent amount of the photos. I guess my request for compensation would depend on if I would be giving up the rights to my photo's or if I would still be able to sell the photo's on my own.

Any suggestions?
D300s D90
Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com

Comments

• Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Figure up your costs like gas, and time, then how much you want to make on top of that. If you price this like a pro, it is going to be very expensive. I am going to guess the website will not want a figure that you will actually make money from it. If I were to do an event like this and it was a 6-7 hour drive one way, that is 14 hrs already invested. Then take into the time at the actual event. I would charge a minimum of 2k for the event and I doubt the website would go for that.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    I reached out to a very popular motorsports website to see if they were looking for any photog's to cover a motocross series in the north east. They responded and asked me what I wanted for all the race photo's for all the rounds this upcoming season. I shot some of the rounds of this series last season, the one's that were kinda local for me. The series has races in New Jersey up to Maine (about 6-7 hour drive each way) being the farthest. I am pretty sure that this website like's the quality of photo's I take or they wouldn't have responded to my inquiry.
    I havent responded to the email yet, as I said I shot a few of the rounds last season and sold a decent amount of the photos. I guess my request for compensation would depend on if I would be giving up the rights to my photo's or if I would still be able to sell the photo's on my own.

Any suggestions?

I would say $300-500 per race and let them sell the photos.
    How much did you make from selling photos from the races last season?

Good Luck,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    LRussoPhotoLRussoPhoto Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Last season I was just making enough to cover my expenses. Problem I found was there were people there taking photo's and posting them on they're facebook pages for free. The quality wasnt that good but most of the people who race the series are young and all they want are small size images to post on they're own facebook pages.
    D300s D90
    Nikon 18-105mm,Nikon 18-200mm,Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

http://LouRusso.SmugMug.com
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Last season I was just making enough to cover my expenses. Problem I found was there were people there taking photo's and posting them on they're facebook pages for free. The quality wasnt that good but most of the people who race the series are young and all they want are small size images to post on they're own facebook pages.

This is your biggest competition here. If you can get paid well to shoot an event, and not have to sell your self this is great. Even better is to get paid and still sell photos.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    How many different races are you talking about for the entire season? How many of those require such long travel?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Good luck! My experience with motor sport websites or magazines is they are cheap, very cheap. My suspicion would be that, especially, as an unknown new guy you won't make gas money even if you got 60 MPG.

Normally what you get is free entry and access which can be important, along with a few shekels if they use any of your images.

If you go in with the idea that the access will get you the better shots and increase your sales or you just want to have fun, your in good shape. If you looking to cover your costs and make a profit, I don't think that's gona happen.

Sam
  • Options
    danieloowensdanieloowens Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    If your familiar with atvriders.com I think you will make around 250-350 per race covered. They get all photos. Btw, I think they are looking for a photographer in your area. Hit up Harlen Foley @ webmaster@atvriders.com of your interested.
    Daniel O Owens
    "The Motocross Photographer"
    I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
    My two main clients are NumberOneATV and Dirt Rider Magazine.