Options

Aaughhh, the cuteness . . .

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited February 9, 2012 in People
This project is a bit outside my normal comfort zone, but here I give you a whole bunch of nursery schoolers . . . .

i-sFvPZ64-XL.jpg

i-xwCG5NW-XL.jpg

i-SbPxrQT-XL.jpg

There is another whole class of 14, but I won't subject you to them. You'll have enough trouble wiping the sugar off your keyboards as is. . . :D
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Options
    3smiles3smiles Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    That's so fun!! As a former daycare provider I LOVE IT!
    Liza
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Although I love the individual lighting on the faces, it really does a nice job on creating shape, I might be a little slow in picking up the treatment.

I'm thinking it's supposed to be standing in front of a chalkboard and those are chalk drawings over their heads? If I missed it completely, it's my fault and not the image. It's Friday, I've had a few barley sandwiches. :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Thanks, Liza. Glad you enjoyed it.
    Bryce, The lighting was pretty simple. a 24" EzBox Hotshoe above and in front, on a boom. Reflectors from my Triflector laid flat on a low table in front. As for the crowns, the kids had drawn them with colored chalk on black paper, and a teacher held them behind each child as I shot. Extracting the kids and crowns was way harder than capturing the images. Scaling and compositing was also a bit of a challenge.
    John :
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I love the concept and think it looks great. But I'm confused... Why go through all the work of extracting and composting? Couldn't they have just drawn on the seamless and you shot them like that? Or lighting might have been a bit trickier, but why not use a chalkboard?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    I love the concept and think it looks great. But I'm confused... Why go through all the work of extracting and composting? Couldn't they have just drawn on the seamless and you shot them like that? Or lighting might have been a bit trickier, but why not use a chalkboard?

Oh Brett, you apparently have little experience with nursery schoolers. It's like herding cats. If you tried to have them all drawing at the same time on a single piece of material . . . unimaginable rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif. And getting good expressions on four or five at one time?? In my dreams, maybe. Actually, I had no control over the crown drawing. I was appalled at the reflectivity of the paper they used, but in the end, it didn't really matter.

The drawings were done a few days ahead. The day of the shoot, we just pulled each child out of class one at a time and ran an assembly line. This way we didn't really disrupt the school day too much, and we did not have more than two little ones in the "studio" at a time. We used six adults, working like crazy for two hours to make it happen. I was able to get decent expressions on all 28 munchkins with less than 200 tries.
    John :
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Great stuff, Icebear, and seriously adorable! I know our nursery school never did anything like this - we just got boring old "school pictures". I think parents are going to LOOOOVVVEEEEE these thumb.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Usually, I couldn't care less about children photography, but these are wonderfully fun. Excellent work and concept. thumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Awwww . . . Diva, Thanks so much.
    And Lee, I'm happy I could give you some enjoyment, and the grammar Nazi in me is particularly appreciative of your phrasiology! One of my pet peeves: "I could care less . . ." Oh really? Me too. :D
    John :
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    LOVE LOVE LOVE them, I want to see the rest please.....
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    John, this is really a fun set... Very creative and inspirational... Even if I only knew one kid in the group I would want this on my wall... it's a bell-ringer
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    lilirishangellilirishangel Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Made me smile a big smile and very creative.. If I was a parent of child in the group I would so buy them.. Very cool
    "MOTIVATION WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BEAT MERE TALENT." Anonymous

www.snaploonphotography.com
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Adorable, and well done.
    And yes: herding cats sums it up perfectly.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Thanks Trudy. OK, will do. Give me a couple days.

Doug, thanks for the nice words.

Colleen (or whatever your grandmother calls you) so glad I could make you smile!

Hi Sara. 'Twas exhausting.
    John :
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    LOVE LOVE LOVE them, I want to see the rest please.....

OK Trudy, here's Darcy . . . I wanted to squeeze her like Charmin.

i-gj4LdBm-XL.jpg
    John :
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 9, 2012
    Great job on these John. They're really adorable. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    oH MY GOSH, look at the dimples on the back of her hands. It seems like they all got along with you just fine too!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700