Options

Kiana (marginally NSFW)

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited February 8, 2012 in People
Some studio fun with my friend, Kiana. Constructive comments are always appreciated.

IMG6996-XL.jpg

IMG7105-XL.jpg

IMG7121-XL.jpg

IMG6969-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-joel

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Oh my. Very nice. Good photography too, BTW.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Quite nice, I like. I think it would be awesome if her lipstick matched the robe on the first one lol. Great job, hard to find anything to not like on these. Lighting, eyes, focal point, all nice to me, thanks. :ivar
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Oh my. Very nice. Good photography too, BTW.

Thanks, John! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Quite nice, I like. I think it would be awesome if her lipstick matched the robe on the first one lol. Great job, hard to find anything to not like on these. Lighting, eyes, focal point, all nice to me, thanks. :ivar
    Thanks very much for the high praise! That's a good idea about the lipstick. Little details like that can make a big difference. nod.gif
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Very nice Joel. Classy and sexy at the same time.

The last one looks perfect.

Using that as a basis I think the 1st could use a little adjustment to darken her hair a tad bit. Also agree about her lips. Just take an adjustment brush and increase saturation of her lips.
    #2 seems a bit hot-mostly noticeable in the face and her hair.
    #3 seems to have a slight color cast- her hair has some pink/magenta in it.

Very nice though. Killing me with all these attractive girls. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    Thanks, Aaron! I agree about #2 being too hot, so much so that I fixed it and replaced the image in the post. In general I think hi-key looks good a bit hot, but that was way overboard.

I don't think #3 has a color cast. That's actually the color of her hair. It's colored with red highlights.

I will admit there seems to be no shortage of good looking girls to shoot in this area. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    What the heck, one more while I'm at it. :D

IMG7040-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    The pics look good. The skin tones look a little off. Her arm is way darker then the rest of her body in #2
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    2 looks much better after the fix, I think that is my favorite of the bunch.
    ok this is just nitpicking but fuel for next time....on two....the wrinkles in the neck could be softened a bit using the clone lighten tool with a soft brush.
    Same goes for the hotspots on the face, clone darken soft brush set at about 10 just lightly bring them down to even out the skin tones.
    Overall good stuff. The light feels a little flat to me but that is individual taste.....nice work.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Really nice job.

I'm going to be experimenting with white seamless this winter so I'm studying these frames reall hard. You did a nice job avoiding flare from the BKG on her.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    The pics look good. The skin tones look a little off. Her arm is way darker then the rest of her body in #2
    Thanks for your comments! These were shot with a gray card for color balance and I'm fairly certain the skin tones are correct.
    zoomer wrote: »
    2 looks much better after the fix, I think that is my favorite of the bunch.
    ok this is just nitpicking but fuel for next time....on two....the wrinkles in the neck could be softened a bit using the clone lighten tool with a soft brush.
    Same goes for the hotspots on the face, clone darken soft brush set at about 10 just lightly bring them down to even out the skin tones.
    Overall good stuff. The light feels a little flat to me but that is individual taste.....nice work.
    Thanks, Zoomer. Nits are always welcome from you and you have a great eye for these little details. I appreciate the tips on how to correct them as well!! bowdown.gif
    Really nice job.

I'm going to be experimenting with white seamless this winter so I'm studying these frames reall hard. You did a nice job avoiding flare from the BKG on her.
    Thanks, Baker! Believe me, I have prior experience in frying models on the backside on previous attempts. The key is, as I'm sure you know, to try to just barely but evenly blow out the background, so that you don't get too much light reflected back. It's worth spending the few extra minutes to get it dialed in.

Ok, last one. :D
    IMG7083-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments! These were shot with a gray card for color balance and I'm fairly certain the skin tones are correct.

I must be blind then.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    I must be blind then.
    I didn't say that, but do feel free to elaborate in what way my skin tones are off and on which pictures.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    I didn't say that, but do feel free to elaborate in what way my skin tones are off and on which pictures.

Ive noticed when I use strobes or speed lights that when women wear makeup and you can see skin that usually dont see there is difference in the skin tone. #2 and the last one you just posted are an example of this. Her face and arm are quite a few shades darker then her lower part of her body. Thats all I was trying to say. Your WB is good and the rest of the color looks great. That just sticks out to me. Sorry if I came across rude.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Ive noticed when I use strobes or speed lights that when women wear makeup and you can see skin that usually dont see there is difference in the skin tone. #2 and the last one you just posted are an example of this. Her face and arm are quite a few shades darker then her lower part of her body. Thats all I was trying to say. Your WB is good and the rest of the color looks great. That just sticks out to me. Sorry if I came across rude.
    Thanks for clarifying. I should have asked what you meant in the first place instead of sounding like I was blowing you off, but I was typing faster than I was thinking. I believe I see what you're saying and I'm not 100% happy with the light balance on some of the shots either.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying. I should have asked what you meant in the first place instead of sounding like I was blowing you off, but I was typing faster than I was thinking. I believe I see what you're saying and I'm not 100% happy with the light balance on some of the shots either.

Cheers,
    -joel

ya sometimes I really love strobes and sometimes I want to chuck them. It should be an easy fix with a hue/saturation layer and mask. The pictures are great though. Really crisp and sharp. What do you shoot if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I cheat and use the dodge burn tools to even out the light....don't tell anybody....
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    I cheat and use the dodge burn tools to even out the light....don't tell anybody....

haha I do as well from time to time depending on the size of the area needing work
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Thanks again, guys. My favorite tool for balancing light is actually the gradient tool in adobe camera raw. Although I do admit I got a bit lazy on these shots in some places. It's best to get it right in the camera of course.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    The pictures are great though. Really crisp and sharp. What do you shoot if you dont mind me asking?
    Thanks! These were shot with a Canon 5DMKII and Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII.