Options

Abandoned cell block in the jungle - C&C please.

DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited February 5, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
This cell block is part of battery Baird of Fort Sherman in Colon, Panama. It was abandoned by the US army in 1999 and the jungle is taking over these concrete structures that once housed huge guns. Battery Baird housed 8 mortars of 12" (yep, 12 inch) caliber.

I have been here a number of times before but it is difficult to find the interesting light. I finally did:

5D-813789-XL.jpg
ciao!
Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
my Smugmug site: here

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Nice exposure - you're right, the lighting was pretty good. This one is great, but I actually like the other pic in your gallery better - it shows the wall face more straight on. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Nice exposure - you're right, the lighting was pretty good. This one is great, but I actually like the other pic in your gallery better - it shows the wall face more straight on. thumb.gif

Hi Earache,

Thanks for your comments. Here's the other one you mention; I decided to post the one above because it is the 2nd angle I selected for the subject. I recon the first choice is the one that every shooter would take, making the 2nd more interesting... but sometimes the first choice is best of course :D

5D-807456-XL.jpg
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I think your theory is sound - I just formed a personal preference for the wider composition.
    BTW - It is a treat to see all the green - we are bone-dry and brown here in SO CAL.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    I think your theory is sound - I just formed a personal preference for the wider composition.
    BTW - It is a treat to see all the green - we are bone-dry and brown here in SO CAL.

Ah but you don't have an 8-month long rainy season rolleyes1.gif

I love to go out with a wide angle lens. These shots are the 17-40L but still at the upper range because I couldn't get closer without disturbing the big spiders and snakes eek7.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    I think DeVerm was right with his choice of photo. The second just "is". It's almost documentary in nature, but your closer shot tells the story so much better. You've simplified it, removed the bright patch of sky, and organized the elements into a nice graphic whole. I vote number 1clap.gif
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Crokey wrote: »
    I think DeVerm was right with his choice of photo. The second just "is". It's almost documentary in nature, but your closer shot tells the story so much better. You've simplified it, removed the bright patch of sky, and organized the elements into a nice graphic whole. I vote number 1clap.gif

I agree.

And yep - avoid the nasty spiders and snakes at all costs!mwink.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Crokey wrote: »

Thank you Crokey. It's nice to hear that I am on the right path. I sometimes think that I'm weird shooting this kind of scenes instead of beautiful women rolleyes1.gif

The main feature of the second photo is the staircase that actually goes all the way to the top of the photo under all that growth.

p.s. the orange "stuff" on the walls is lichen. I need to bring a macro lens for that later :D
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    I agree.

And yep - avoid the nasty spiders and snakes at all costs!mwink.gif

Thank you Snowgirl. The thing with the spiders and snakes is that they normally don't come at you unless totally ignoring you. But in the Panama jungle they also have Jurassic versions of wasps, hornets, bees, stinging flies etc. and they love to build their nests in these kind of places. I'm almost ready to spray the deet repellant in my neck too eek7.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.