Options

Old Man on a boat

Mohammed AlayaliMohammed Alayali Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 20, 2012 in People
hii every1 this is my first post :D , its nice to be here i really like this forum & everything is amazing :)

today i want to share with you this shot i took a while back, need your critique !

thanx :)

7h3w9383draft23.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    I love the character in his face... Nice job
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Nice photo. You might try buying a ND filter like a ND (Neutral Density) Fader Filter
    or a Circular Polarizing Filter to cut down on some of the bright light by a few stops.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2012
    well do thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Great shot.

I don't agree with FlyNavy, but the way. I don't see how an ND filter is going to improve your shot. All that would do is potentially allow you to open up your aperture some more, but the background looks nicely blurred out to me, so what's the point? An ND filter isn't going to reduce the contrast between the highlights and the shadows. And I don't think that would've been necessary anyhow. You have detail in all the shadows and have only blown out the highlights in the very brightest parts of his white shirt, which is really irrelevant. It's possible that a polarizer would have reduced some of the contrast, but that really depends on how the light was hitting, and I don't think it would have improved that shot much (if at all).
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Great shot.

I don't agree with FlyNavy, but the way. I don't see how an ND filter is going to improve your shot. All that would do is potentially allow you to open up your aperture some more, but the background looks nicely blurred out to me, so what's the point? An ND filter isn't going to reduce the contrast between the highlights and the shadows. And I don't think that would've been necessary anyhow. You have detail in all the shadows and have only blown out the highlights in the very brightest parts of his white shirt, which is really irrelevant. It's possible that a polarizer would have reduced some of the contrast, but that really depends on how the light was hitting, and I don't think it would have improved that shot much (if at all).

+1.

BTW, welcome to Dgrin and the People forum. Post more! clap.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Welcome to Dg... Nice shot... I agree with Brett... I think I would jump into PS5... Pop on a layet & or exposure mask and just give it a little love... No... Maybe even better... Use that curves thingy... Don't know how to use it? There are some great toots on YouTube... It just needs a smidge of this & that...
    Love the shot & thanks for sharing.
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    Great shot.

You have detail in all the shadows and have only blown out the highlights in the very brightest parts of his white shirt, which is really irrelevant. It's possible that a polarizer would have reduced some of the contrast, but that really depends on how the light was hitting, and I don't think it would have improved that shot much (if at all).

it was a sunny day and the sun was directly at the object .. i tired my best
    thanx XD
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    +1.

BTW, welcome to Dgrin and the People forum. Post more! clap.gif

thank you thumb.gif
    ill post another shot from a body building contest today
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Welcome to Dg... Nice shot... I agree with Brett... I think I would jump into PS5... Pop on a layet & or exposure mask and just give it a little love... No... Maybe even better... Use that curves thingy... Don't know how to use it? There are some great toots on YouTube... It just needs a smidge of this & that...
    Love the shot & thanks for sharing.

well look through it
    thanx for the advice
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    sara505 wrote: »
    Great photo!

thank you sara
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    "I don't see how an ND filter is going to improve your shot. All that would do is potentially allow you to open up your aperture some more, but the background looks nicely blurred out to me, so what's the point? An ND filter isn't going to reduce the contrast between the highlights and the shadows."

Thanks Brett. You are correct.
    J
  • Options
    fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Great "Street" shot. Was that a posed look, or was the man really suprised you took his picture? The caption I see in my head is "Who is this guy and why is he taking my picture".
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout