Snowy, snowy Owl (aka Davev :-P~~~~ )

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 8, 2012 in Wildlife
IMG9238-L.jpg

IMG9223-L.jpg

IMG9314-L.jpg

Doing my best to embrace this beautiful, mild winter. Went searching for snowy owls, and actually found one!

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Beautiful clap.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Love #1. Soooo freakin' cute on the post.

I wish I had the opportunity to takes photos of birds like that but Illinois is too far south to find them except in extremely rare cases.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,336 moderator
    edited February 5, 2012
    Wow! Beautiful, and what a wonderful creature to see!

--- Denise
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Darn Canadians. :D

Your shots are great Ann.

I chased these darn birds for 5 weekends, and found exactly one, 200 yards away, that with 600mm of lens the bird looks like a postage stamp on a semi trailer.

IMG7976-damn-owl-L.jpg

Should I add that the weather was great on this day also, -10F with 30 mph winds blowing into my face while trying to get this.
    I'd like to say that I'm done whining about this, but I'm not. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    edited February 7, 2012

I wish I had the opportunity to takes photos of birds like that but Illinois is too far south to find them except in extremely rare cases.

Thanks! You'll just have to travel! These guys 'winter' here, meaning they go north in the summer. Kind of mind boggling to think of going north of Edmonton!

ann
    edited February 7, 2012
    Wow! Beautiful, and what a wonderful creature to see!

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise. They are indeed wonderful to see! I was certainly thrilled!
    edited February 7, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Darn Canadians. :D

Your shots are great Ann.

I chased these darn birds for 5 weekends, and found exactly one, 200 yards away, that with 600mm of lens the bird looks like a postage stamp on a semi trailer.

Should I add that the weather was great on this day also, -10F with 30 mph winds blowing into my face while trying to get this.
    I'd like to say that I'm done whining about this, but I'm not. :D

Well, Davev, you do know there is a standing invite to you and your entourage to visit!!! This would be the winter to do so - it's been so mild, so many species are overwintering, lots of birding ops!!!

I had to go check whether the all white feather pattern was related to winter or gender. Apparently, the whiter the feathers, the older the male. Females and juveniles have barred feathers. So my guy is a wise old soul, or an old geizer I guess!

Cheers!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012

There's one down in Redbud, Illinois.

Also one much closer to you. (Chicago-ish)
    http://maps.google.com/?q=41.28237,-88.8825%20%28Snowy%20Owl%20-%20La%20Salle%29
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    There's one down in Redbud, Illinois.

Also one much closer to you. (Chicago-ish)
    http://maps.google.com/?q=41.28237,-88.8825%20%28Snowy%20Owl%20-%20La%20Salle%29

Thanks, Allen!

I think I'll put the top down and take a ride. :ivarmwink.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Outstanding, Ann! thumb.gif

BTW.....what does the sign say? (I'm weird)
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Well, Davev, you do know there is a standing invite to you and your entourage to visit!!! This would be the winter to do so - it's been so mild, so many species are overwintering, lots of birding ops!!!

I had to go check whether the all white feather pattern was related to winter or gender. Apparently, the whiter the feathers, the older the male. Females and juveniles have barred feathers. So my guy is a wise old soul, or an old geizer I guess!

Cheers!

I'm sure we'll get up there again someday, but not this year.
    We'll be heading the other direction to visit Harry and the birds and gators down south soon.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I love #1! the extremely soft background and warm colors really makes the owl pop.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Excellent set Ann, it may be me but the highlights seem a tad hot.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited February 8, 2012
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    Outstanding, Ann! thumb.gif

BTW.....what does the sign say? (I'm weird)

Thanks, Ric!

I don't have a photo that shows the sign text but I'd venture that it marks a pipeline location.

ann
    edited February 8, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll get up there again someday, but not this year.
    We'll be heading the other direction to visit Harry and the birds and gators down south soon.

Give Harry a hug from me, and don't get et by a gator!!! Have a great trip!
    edited February 8, 2012
    I love #1! the extremely soft background and warm colors really makes the owl pop.

Thanks Dave! I love it except for the centered composition. I have some others that have better comp but aren't quite as sharp!

ann
    edited February 8, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Excellent set Ann, it may be me but the highlights seem a tad hot.

Thanks Harry. White bird, bright sunshine, small amount of snow on ground as reflector....

I agree that they look hot BUT according to the Lightroom histogram, there are no blown highlights on these shots. Close, perhaps, but not blown! ne_nau.gif
    edited February 8, 2012
    The whole gallery can be seen here

We first saw him on a fence post but the car in front of us scared him away. Later, after hiking about a mile, I realized I didn't have memory in the camera, so headed back to the car and decided to head to the other side of the lake. Leaving the parking lot we saw the tell tale 'car parked on side of road' that indicates wild life viewing ops. He was in the tree top, flew to the sign, then flew to a different tree stand. Another lady was photographing him, hoping to get an in flight shot, but her companion was not as indulgent as mine, and they left while he stayed put on the sign. I walked toward him and the last sign post shot is full frame, so I got quite close!

ann
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Thanks Harry. White bird, bright sunshine, small amount of snow on ground as reflector....

I agree that they look hot BUT according to the Lightroom histogram, there are no blown highlights on these shots. Close, perhaps, but not blown! ne_nau.gif

I don't know ne_nau.gif. If you shot in RAW how was the histogram prior to processing? I downloaded one of the pictures and I was able to pull some details out of it. If you want I can post it for you perusal.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"