Options

All around Newbie...C&C please

DeputydawgDeputydawg Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited February 8, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi all, First time posting on the Wildlife side but would like to learn more.. I am a all around newbie at DSLR photography (2 months) as well as recently picked up light room for development... Up till now I have only known point in shoot.. I live in the area of South West Florida where I can be at the beach or the Everglades National Park in less than 20 min as well as live out where I often have a couple of bears and quite a few deer that visit the back yard almost nightly.. I have a Canon T3 and my only zoom lens is the EFS IS 55-250mm....my question is I found It was hard to get close enough to some of the things I was trying to shoot.. is there a way to boost up the power (range) or save up for the 100-400 canon (white lens) that has seem to get great reviews.

pelican-M.jpg

monkey-M.jpg

pelican2-M.jpg

gator-M.jpg

gator2-M.jpg

And one of the most wild things in my yard.. Katie Dog...

katie-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CrokeyCrokey Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I like that first shot with the birds a lot, just straighten the horizon! I don't know much about Canon gear, however, I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice to your question.
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Welcome to the forum! I love your photo of your dog. Her eyes are bright, you can see plenty of detail, and the composition is nice--she is off center, and looking off to the left where you left enough room in the photo so that she doesn't look crowded. In your first three shots the subjects' eyes are either not showing or in shadow. I think wildlife photos are much more striking when the eyes are clear and crisp and stand out. I just wish I could have done this well after two months! Or twelve months! Good work! Best, Pam
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Congrats, very good job.
    Try to keep the horizon leveled and your pics. will look better.
    I'm not sure about your question, I'm not knowledgeable about Canon, but if I were you, I'll save my money to buy what I really need.
    You might be able to rent some lenses and later decide which one will do the job for you.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JMHO.
    Ybeer.gif
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Good set and the first 3 responses have good info for you. Welcome to the wildlife forum.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I also like the first shot best. As well as keeping an eye on level horizons, I'd also suggest trying different points of view / vantage points to eliminate the 'tangent effect' ... ie horizon just touching bits of subjects - in this case bird's heads. Different light (direction) mightalso help in addressing PGM's comment about eyes in shade etc

If this location was close to me, I'd visit often, in different weather / light / times of day etc ... as, imo it has good potential :)

Look for cleaner backgrounds, if at all possible.

Yes, a 100 - 400 would be a good (and versatile choice) - but only if that's what's needed for what you want to do / achieve.

pp