Finding old amidst new.

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited February 11, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
I live in a newer subdivision. For miles around there is new construction, new homes, new streets, new stores, new everything. Inspired by many of your pictures here, I grabbed my son, headed out the door, and set out to photograph the oldest things I could find following these rules...

* Must be easily accessible to the public (no fence hopping).
* Must include rust.
* Man made (sorta obvious, but that was the rule).
* One hour time limit, including travel.

Here is what we came up with

1. Abandoned railroad tracks, and my son. Notice, new freeway, new trail, new fence... And new construction equipment, partially responsible for all that new.
i-ZScgX8n-XL.jpg

2. Tracks again. New police station on right, and that new trail and fence on the left.
i-B9PvfMB-XL.jpg

3. Old truck... and a new house. Arghh!
i-ck7sLbL-XL.jpg

4. I can't believe we found this. It was near an old field. All around it was new homes, new apartments, new park, new road, etc. This was the most successful according to the rules. I was standing on a (new) public sidewalk. Nothing really new in the picture except a sliver of fence in the back. I'm a detail sort of person. I loved how the light was shining through the still amazingly intact turn signal, making it seem like it still worked.
i-89XTFFj-XL.jpg

5. I call it "The Moon Jumped Over The Cow." :D Yeah, just threw this one in to throw you. It was in the field next to the truck. Notice all the new homes near the edges of the field? I wonder how long the farmer is planning on holding out. Wish the moon was larger, but this was a 17mm lens. Almost looks like sensor dust.
i-3kmPtKf-XL.jpg

I didn't think they turned out that bad for a one hour time investment. It was a lot of fun. I am sure I'll try it again, but maybe with different rules. Would love to hear your comments.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    A cool assignment to give yourself and you (miraculously) found some 'old stuff' hidden among the new. I like the humour of moon jumped over the cow! Urban encroachment is a serious issue world-wide, even where I live which is a farming community in rural New Brunswick.

LOVE the old truck shots! The house in the background just makes the shot!
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I like the shots and the premise, but in photo #3 and #4 the truck's hood needs a paint job.
    The checkerboard layer is showing through.

#1's your best shot in my view.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Ryan,
    Wonderful wonderful shotsclap.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • JeroenJeroen Registered Users Posts: 447 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Nice. I like nr 4 best.