Options

OMG - It's the OM-D by Olympus

InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
edited February 11, 2012 in Cameras
Announcement expected Wednesday for Olympus's new weather sealed Micro Four Thirds Camera, with a nod towards the professional market. Looking at the lenses in the photo, the camera isn't a great deal bigger than the Pens.

om-dlenses.jpg

Image from 43rumors.com.

Regards,
J

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Looks like a lot of new options for mirrorless buyers this year-- already we've seen the Fuji x1 pro, the Pentax k-01, now Olympus is stepping up their game.

Whose cuisine will reign supreme?!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    If that is a micro four-thirds, and those lenses work on other Micro four-thirds...that camera must be tiny. It looks like the old OM, but I am guessing that it is half-sized to the original (ok maybe not that much). The OM-1 was always just slightly smaller than other SLRs but this must be no larger than the 620, probably smaller.
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of new options for mirrorless buyers this year-- already we've seen the Fuji x1 pro, the Pentax k-01, now Olympus is stepping up their game.

Whose cuisine will reign supreme?!

I'd say it's Olympus/Panasonic's market to lose; ultimately. However, Fuji is interesting. They've priced themselves at a niche level at the moment. But, whereas Olympus and Panasonic would struggle to produce something compelling at the X-Pro's price point, there's nothing to stop Fujifilm from producing a consumer grade camera and cheaper lenses with the X-Pro's sensor.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1583

Ok I know it's mirrorless, but still, seeing this design, and an EVF? It's just wrong somehow. I don't think I will ever want an SLR with an EVF. Am I old fashioned?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 7, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    ... Ok I know it's mirrorless, but still, seeing this design, and an EVF? It's just wrong somehow. I don't think I will ever want an SLR with an EVF. Am I old fashioned?

Technically, it's not an SLR (Single Lens Reflex) because it lacks a "reflex" mirror design. It is certainly an SLR body style, but I do like the "E.V.I.L" (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) moniker for these cameras.

Ultimately, mirror based camera designs will go away, but for now there is still too much extra delay (lag) in the image data path for some applications, especially sports/action categories.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    I look at this, then over to the Pentax K-01, and it is obvious that Pentax has long since lost the plot.

What a fantastic offering. This and the recent Fuji's are the most interesting cameras to be released in recent memory, for this hobbyist anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Looks great on paper-- I think Oly hit this one out of the park ...
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I am so looking forward to reading some hands-on reviews about this camera...especially with regards to the auto-focusing speed and the improved ISO performance for low light. If anyone reads a full review (rather than a first impressions about specs and style), please post a link!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Took the words right out of my mouth... OM-G!!!!

Posted my opinion here: http://www.slrlounge.com/news-a-classic-film-camera-gone-digital-the-olympus-om-d-dslr-series-cameratalk-w-matthew-saville
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    And something else to consider: Oly (&Panasonic, et al) has been slowly but carefully building up a wide and deep and strong infrastructure for this and other micro-four-thirds cameras. Between adapters, flashes, macro, fast primes, it looks like you can get a lot by buying into the 4/3 infrastructure, moreso than some of the other mirrorless options out there. And of course, with Sigma's renewed interest, as well as Tamron and Tokina joining the party, well, things are looking interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    I am so looking forward to reading some hands-on reviews about this camera...especially with regards to the auto-focusing speed and the improved ISO performance for low light. If anyone reads a full review (rather than a first impressions about specs and style), please post a link!

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusem5/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/07/olympus-om-d-e-m5-micro-four-thirds-camera-preview-video/
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    And something else to consider: Oly (&Panasonic, et al) has been slowly but carefully building up a wide and deep and strong infrastructure for this and other micro-four-thirds cameras. Between adapters, flashes, macro, fast primes, it looks like you can get a lot by buying into the 4/3 infrastructure, moreso than some of the other mirrorless options out there. And of course, with Sigma's renewed interest, as well as Tamron and Tokina joining the party, well, things are looking interesting to say the least.

That's exactly right, Mark. I'm not abandoning my Canon gear...but I haven't added any new lenses to it in years. I love my little EP-1...and the lenses are the best part. So far I have two beautiful lenses (and one okay one)...and I have at least two more on my wish list. Can't wait until the Sigma and Tamron lenses start coming. It is a great system...and, for my purposes, it produces great images. Now if I can pair those lenses with a small camera that comes even closer to matching my DSLR, why all the better!! Whew, though...that money will take me some time to save up!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012

Thanks for this, Matt! You highlighted the things I'm really interested in. I haven't had a chance to try the new, faster autofocus system, so I'm glad to hear that you are impressed with it.
  • Options
    Need2SkiNeed2Ski Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    I don't post much here. More of a peruser. This camera has me very interested. I prefer smaller and lighter and don't really do much action photography so the absence of proven CAF is not a major concern to me. Oly claims something called 3D focusing, which, seems to be referring to some kind of enhanced continuous autofocus and subject tracking. It'll be interesting to see if they are finally able to implement a viable CAF system? Recent lens releases and reported future releases from both Olympus and Panasonic make the system more attractive.