Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
edited February 8, 2012 in People
tenderness03aaaaaaaaaar.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Beautiful shot. For my taste, you over sharpened a bit in processing though. Her skin looks a bit "crunchy". Masking her skin before you sharpen would help, I think.
  • Options
    Mohammed AlayaliMohammed Alayali Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Love the eyes
    /reat job !
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Beautiful girl and I like the B&W treatment. Maybe a bit oversharp, especially for a B&W and I don't get "tenderness" from this. I do get strength, or anger or even interest from her.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Beautiful shot. For my taste, you over sharpened a bit in processing though. Her skin looks a bit "crunchy". Masking her skin before you sharpen would help, I think.

Brett... Do you mean throwing a layer mask on her & then sharpening?
    I have been up to my elbows in learning PS ... Im finally starting to get it & its awesome but tons to learn.
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    Cowboy,

Try this in Photoshop. It's the method I use for almost everything.

At the very end of your workflow (sharpening is always my last step), flatten the image
    Duplicate the image (Ctrl-J)
    Change the blend mode to "Luminosity"
    Apply Unsharp Mask to the copy and adjust to your liking
    If need be, paint over the skin with the blur tool set at around 30% and the "Luminosity" blend mode.
    While you're here, try some very slight adjustment to Brightness/Contrast and see if it helps or not.

Remember, you can always reduce the sharpening effect by changing the opacity of the copy layer.

Reflatten and save.

There are literally hundreds of ways to sharpen in PS but I like this one so much, I set up an action for it with a hot key.

Good luck.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    Cowboy,

Try this in Photoshop. It's the method I use for almost everything.

At the very end of your workflow (sharpening is always my last step), flatten the image
    Duplicate the image (Ctrl-J)
    Change the blend mode to "Luminosity"
    Apply Unsharp Mask to the copy and adjust to your liking
    If need be, paint over the skin with the blur tool set at around 30% and the "Luminosity" blend mode.
    While you're here, try some very slight adjustment to Brightness/Contrast and see if it helps or not.

Remember, you can always reduce the sharpening effect by changing the opacity of the copy layer.

Reflatten and save.

There are literally hundreds of ways to sharpen in PS but I like this one so much, I set up an action for it with a hot key.

Good luck.

Gotcha... thanks John... I'll give that a shot... yes... there are so many ways to do things in PS... I really dig all the video's on YouTube... they have been a great help & have catapulted my use of PS to new levels... it's almost as though I know something now:)

Thanks for the tip
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Brett... Do you mean throwing a layer mask on her & then sharpening?
    I have been up to my elbows in learning PS ... Im finally starting to get it & its awesome but tons to learn.
    That's right. That is what I meant.

I don't usually advertise for other people, but Scott Kelby's book "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers" has great suggestions for different methods of sharpening, as well as a host of other methods for retouching eyes, shadows, lips, skin, hair, etc..... Most are pretty quick. Check it out and see what methods work best for your skills and style.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    That's right. That is what I meant.

I don't usually advertise for other people, but Scott Kelby's book "Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers" has great suggestions for different methods of sharpening, as well as a host of other methods for retouching eyes, shadows, lips, skin, hair, etc..... Most are pretty quick. Check it out and see what methods work best for your skills and style.

Will do... thanks for the tips... I like ole Scott, Matt & the gang... Their video shows are a bit irritating at times though but I watch anyway...headscratch.gif

Cowboydoug
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Each style consists of errors!Thank you!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 8, 2012
    Each style consists of errors!

Great quote. :D