Lens for 7D

gopher78gopher78 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited February 8, 2012 in Cameras
I've had my Canon 7D for a couple months now. Still trying to determine if the following lenses I have are adequate or if I should maybe get a walk around lens.

Currently I have a
Canon EF 100mm 2.8 IS macro
Canon EF 70 to 200 2.8 telephoto
Tamron 17-50 2.8 wide angel zoom

I do find the need sometimes for something in-between the Tamron and the telephoto and although I can make do with the Tamron I'm thinking it would be nice to have more of a work horse walk around.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited February 6, 2012
    I use a very similar set of lenses for my travel kit, which I also use for social events. I honestly don't recall even noticing any lack from the slight gap between the "normal/standard" zoom and the telephoto zoom. (I generally work in distance "zones", but sometimes with a couple of bodies.)

Many folks do like the Canon EF 24-105mm, f4L IS USM for a general purpose walk-a-round lens, while others genuinely love the Canon EF-S 15-85mm, f3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I prefer the constant aperture zooms of f2.8, and the creative opportunities of the larger aperture with regard to background and foreground blur (bokeh).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I got the EF 24-105L as kit lens with my 5D2 and use it regularly as standard lens, but recently put it on my 7D because my wife took all the other (I almost said "good" instead of "other"..) stuff :D. It's a very nice telezoom for the 7D and it's L-class, solid, with a good image stabilizer. I would not hesitate to add this lens to your collection.

And if you hurry, I saw there is one "like new" available on this forum right now thumb.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    DeVerm wrote: »
    I got the EF 24-105L as kit lens with my 5D2 and use it regularly as standard lens, but recently put it on my 7D because my wife took all the other (I almost said "good" instead of "other"..) stuff :D. It's a very nice telezoom for the 7D and it's L-class, solid, with a good image stabilizer. I would not hesitate to add this lens to your collection.

And if you hurry, I saw there is one "like new" available on this forum right now thumb.gif

+1 on the 24-105. Great do-it-all lens.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    gopher78 wrote: »
    I've had my Canon 7D for a couple months now. Still trying to determine if the following lenses I have are adequate or if I should maybe get a walk around lens.

Currently I have a
    Canon EF 100mm 2.8 IS macro
    Canon EF 70 to 200 2.8 telephoto
    Tamron 17-50 2.8 wide angel zoom

I do find the need sometimes for something in-between the Tamron and the telephoto and although I can make do with the Tamron I'm thinking it would be nice to have more of a work horse walk around.

Any suggestions

Thanks

there are other lens (like the 24-105) that cover the range but they won't be as sharp on a crop as your present lens