Options

Q for Real Estate Photographers

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited February 7, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
When do you normally get paid for shooting a house? Up front? Net 30 days? After the house sells?

I have a non-paying client. I've been shooting r-e for 3 years, but always the same agency, so I'm wondering what "the norm" is in the industry.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I will apologize in advance but posts like this drive me nuts.

Is this a client who hasn't paid you in three years, or is this a client who has paid you in the past but is not currently paying you? If the client has paid you in the past when and under what terms did they pay? If they are now not paying what is the stated reason for non payment?

Sam
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    What does your contract say?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2012
    I'm not sure why you need all that info to answer this simple question - you shoot a house, you send a bill. When does it get paid? I'm just wondering if it is normal for the photographer to have to wait until the house is sold before we can expect payment. i'm thinking not. Whether or not the house sells, or when, does not seem like a risk we have to accept. Surely if the agent wants the house painted or staged in order to sell it, they will have to pay for that service within a normal term like 30 days.

If you must know my business, it is a new agent in the agency I shoot for. The agent has not given a good reason for not paying. Other agents have paid me within 30 days of invoice. I shot the house and invoiced the agent in September, 2011.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    I'm not sure why you need all that info to answer this simple question - you shoot a house, you send a bill. When does it get paid? I'm just wondering if it is normal for the photographer to have to wait until the house is sold before we can expect payment. i'm thinking not. Whether or not the house sells, or when, does not seem like a risk we have to accept. Surely if the agent wants the house painted or staged in order to sell it, they will have to pay for that service within a normal term like 30 days.

If you must know my business, it is a new agent in the agency I shoot for. The agent has not given a good reason for not paying. Other agents have paid me within 30 days of invoice. I shot the house and invoiced the agent in September, 2011.

If your letter-of-agreement, or contract, states that your invoice is due when presented, then it's due when presented. The only time (in ten years) I've ever had to wait for payment longer than thirty days, my client called me, begged forbearance, and explained that she was is a seriously embarassing cash-flow situation. Of course I told her to just put me in line. She eventually paid in full, and I've done a lot of business with her since. If your client doesn't have the decency to come clean with you, you do have a problem. Her ability to sell the house certainly has no bearing on her debt to you.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012
    What would you expect a professional to charge you for work on the house as part of bringing it to market-ready state? LIke a carpenter, plumber, or roofer. Why, they'd be paid when the job is done.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2012

Had you simply posted the first sentence no one would have asked for additional info, but you added a cryptic second sentence which indicated a more specific question and answer.

Your real issue seems to be that you haven't been paid for 4 months, not what is or is not normal. Based on your statement that other agents have paid within 30 days I would say you have already established the norm for this RE agency and your services.

Your real issue is getting paid. First second and third................don't wait 4 months and then ask some cryptic question online.

Sit down with the agent and see if you can find the real reason for nonpayment. See if you can resolve that issue and or set up a payment plan if that's what is needed. If that doesn't work simply inform them you have no choice but to take them to small claims court and do so.

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    I'm very sorry my question offended you. Please accept my humble apology. Thank you for your reply and your time.
    -Jack