Options

What IPTC field do captions come from?

rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited November 11, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I'm a new smugmug user, so maybe I'm missing something. :)

I've uploaded a gallery of pictures that I processed through Adobe Camera Raw where I've added text to the IPTC "Description" field. When I uploaded the pictures, they didn't seem to have any of the text added to their captions as I would have expected. I didn't try anything with the Keywords field yet, but will tonight.

Am I putting this into the correct field in ACR? I looked through all the options but did not see a field called "Caption".

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    rdlugosz wrote:
    I'm a new smugmug user, so maybe I'm missing something. :)

I've uploaded a gallery of pictures that I processed through Adobe Camera Raw where I've added text to the IPTC "Description" field. When I uploaded the pictures, they didn't seem to have any of the text added to their captions as I would have expected. I didn't try anything with the Keywords field yet, but will tonight.

Am I putting this into the correct field in ACR? I looked through all the options but did not see a field called "Caption".

Description - that's the correct place. Are you sure you are saving the information correctly in ACR?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    rdlugosz wrote:
    I've got no ACR, but in PS the field is called description.
    Concerning the keywords: smugmug needs the keywords to be separated by a space. So in order to create a keyword consisting of more than a word you have to put double quotes around it.

Can you give me a link to a gallery with a testpicture? Then enable download of originals and I'll look at your file if I find an error in it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    thx for the quick info - I'll check it out at home and I'll reply again if I'm still having trouble!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    Still having trouble!
    Ok - still having some trouble & as far as I can tell everything is saved correctly in the image itself... Please take a look at the gallery here: http://rdlugosz.smugmug.com/gallery/924760

The first photo (gloved hands pouring drink) does not have a caption. If you save the original and then look at the info in PS, you'll see that it's there. I've also added a screen shot of the file info in PS as well as the photo selected in ACR (where the IPTC info was actually created).

I uploaded with the beta uploader, but also tried the normal HTML Form-based uploader just to be sure - both had the same results.

I appreciate the help!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Ok - still having some trouble & as far as I can tell everything is saved correctly in the image itself... Please take a look at the gallery here: http://rdlugosz.smugmug.com/gallery/924760

The first photo (gloved hands pouring drink) does not have a caption. If you save the original and then look at the info in PS, you'll see that it's there. I've also added a screen shot of the file info in PS as well as the photo selected in ACR (where the IPTC info was actually created).
    I checked here with my PS6 and it couldn't read the info. Also my database program IMatch couldn't read the IPTC info out of the file. Then gave it to a friend to check it with PS CS2 and there he could see the info. Resaving it as JPG with his CS2 I was able to see the IPTC in both IMatch and my PS6.

I guess the issue is how ACR writes the info into the file - could you check the options there, maybe there's is a compatibility option for metadata, so other programs also understand what your ACR writes.

Seems to me like no smugmug issue. ne_nau.gif

Hope that helps,
    Sebastian

PS: Check the Adobe site and forums on the issue - they might already have a solution for it.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    I checked here with my PS6 and it couldn't read the info. Also my database program IMatch couldn't read the IPTC info out of the file. Then gave it to a friend to check it with PS CS2 and there he could see the info. Resaving it as JPG with his CS2 I was able to see the IPTC in both IMatch and my PS6.
    Hm... I do know that in the metadata prefs for ACR you can select between two sets of IPTC fields: Legacy and Today. Okay, well the last one isn't really called "today" but it's not in front of me right now. The fields I'm populating are in the "today" (default) flavor... perhaps if I selected the legacy fields instead it would work with smugmug?

Can't try it until this evening. Anyone else have a thought?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Hm... I do know that in the metadata prefs for ACR you can select between two sets of IPTC fields: Legacy and Today. Okay, well the last one isn't really called "today" but it's not in front of me right now. The fields I'm populating are in the "today" (default) flavor... perhaps if I selected the legacy fields instead it would work with smugmug?

Can't try it until this evening. Anyone else have a thought?
    Did you try it? That should be it - found this on the Adobe forums. Looks like there's a new IPTC standard who's based on the XMP-format used by Adobe. So switching to legacy should do the trick.

Tell me if it worked.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    Did you try it? That should be it - found this on the Adobe forums. Looks like there's a new IPTC standard who's based on the XMP-format used by Adobe. So switching to legacy should do the trick.
    Thanks for the link! I hadn't gotten a chance to try it until just now. Switching to the legacy only didn't make any difference, however opening in PS and saving from there seems to fix the problem.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2005
    Looks like the beta of ACR 3.3 may address this issue. From https://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@638.FPBJf9yAk1b.0@.3bbd1677

Beta 3.3 also includes the following Updates:
    1) Improved redraw speed at some zoom levels, 2) Added warning dialogs when non-selected images, 3)Tuned Bayer demosaic algorithms, 4) Fixed DNG decoding for some camera models, 5) Write "legacy" IPTC data block (in addition to the existing XMP data block) to TIFF, JPEG, and PSD files saved directly.