img9929x2.jpg
4)
img0259xl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I think they're very nice. The photojournalistic-style works well -- very real and not posed, which I assume was the goal. That being said, the B&W one doesn't quite do it for me -- there's a lot of clutter that doesn't add to the picture and it's hard to get a read on the story the photo is trying to tell. For the color ones, they are all a little flat for my taste (I'd pump up the blacks a bit), and I'm not a fan of vignettes. Also the shutter speed was just a bit slow in the 1st shot, leaving a tiny bit of motion blur that I don't thin was intended (plus, if you were able to open up the aperture a bit, I think it would have looked a tiny bit better with some more background blur).
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    First one is my favorite, although a little to soft...like the BG. Second one is nice, but has too many distractions. Clone out the white rag above her head, then the leaf in front of her forehead, and then the rock above her hand. I find those distracting...meaning that your cluttered background distracts from the photo. And, why is there a shadow at her feet.

Third one is nice, and the BW is nice...although for what it's worth, I don't find shots of backs to be aesthetically pleasing, or that they will find their way into a family album. especially when the photo doesn't give us any any clue as to what the subjects are doing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    StinkyGoalieGuyStinkyGoalieGuy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 9, 2012
    Thanks for the great feedback!

Brett, I just got my monitor calibration tool today, so once I get that setup, I'll try playing with the blacks a little. Good point about the shutter speed. I was in such a hurry to get the shot, that I didn't even stop to think about it. Right, these were all candids as they were running around, no posing.

Ed911, thanks for pointing out the distractions. I never would have even noticed. As you can see, I have a long way to go. The shadow by her feet, is from my son (the boy in the first picture). I actually cropped him out. I'm going to try and clean it up a bit.

For the B&W, they were looking at something behind the chair. I wonder if I can crop it differently to convey that.