Options

He Wants To Be A Model...

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited February 9, 2012 in People
...Being as I want to be a photographer, it was a match made in heaven. Although not quite as much "fun" to work with, or look at, as the models my friend John NY shoots, he certainly was great to work with. Didn't complain once during countless lighting changes and tweaks.

I did an entire set with this kid both in low key and high key, but was so tickled with this image and how it came out, I just had to share it right away.

I'm sure someone is going to point out some flaws, but, that's the whole idea behind me posting it.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    Another one before I go to bed. In color and a different lighting schematic.

6838889273_3a548779b2_b.jpg
    Black Male With Fedora by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I love the second one so much! Your lighting seems perfect to me!
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Gee Bryce, should I mention the clipped elbow or just say GREAT work?headscratch.gif

He's not Cindy or Vanessa for sure but these are really good. Of the two, I prefer the color version. The B&W is a bit stark across his face but that may just be the nature of the B&W finish. I still like your tinting methods.

To hell with it
    BEAUTIFUL light and great work.clap.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Nice job with these, maybe take a small crop into the hat on the first one.
    If the elbow clip on two bothers you take more off the bottom, so it becomes a crop instead of a clip. Looks ok to me as is.
    Good job!
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    I like that smile on the 2nd, to me that made the pic lol. His eyes are also sparkling in #2. If I may, what would the 2nd look like in B&W? Great looking young man and great techniques for sure. Loove the contrast.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    First one is softer than I can live with (compression from attachment?) - I find myself looking for clarity somewhere in the image so my eye can "land".

Second one is FABULOUS!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    First one is softer than I can live with (compression from attachment?) - I find myself looking for clarity somewhere in the image so my eye can "land". Second one is FABULOUS!!! thumb.gif

I was just about to point out the same thing, first one is too soft.. Second one is the best...nice lighting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Thanks for the comments and input folks!!!!!!!!!!!

I now see the softness in the first....In the excitement of the moment, I didn't even notice it. There has been a "rework".

Here is another image from this session in "high key". For those interested this is a link to about 13 of the 60 or so images taken that evening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60399337@N06/sets/72157629244955101/with/6846730479/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Last one above is terrific and the set looks GREAT. The hi key setup is really good with your style - you're still doing what you do in the vintage look, but the bright white background and fashion clothes make the image feel very current and high quality. thumb.gif

What are you using to light your background?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    thumb.gif

What are you using to light your background?

Mucho Gracias!

Two Studio Max Mono Lights bounced off of small umbrellas. Doing the high key thing is rather new to me, so there was a bit of trial and error. The major thing I'm going to change next time is with the umbrella's I used. One of the umbrella's is silver lined (this one works well) and the other I had was white. The white umbrella, although not designed to be a "shoot through" did let light leak through and because of the close quarters I work in, it caused a bit of spill onto the subject. Getting another silver for the next time.