Options

Sigma news

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited February 11, 2012 in Cameras
For all you Sigma camera users out there! Anyone?

Massive price drop on the SD1-- to $2300.

Redesign and re-release of the DP1 cameras with new lenses, better designed bodies.

Poor Sigma-- it must suck to watch another company (Fuji) take your camera recipe: nonstandard, large sensor, fixed lens compact, and have a runaway success. (X100.)

I would love to have a Foveon camera, if only to play with. But their price ranges have traditionally pushed them out of the range of the casual user.

Comments

• Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    To be fair to Sigma, they are offering two, new fixed lens compacts that by some estimations push towards medium format resolution and image quality. Imagine having a shirt pocket camera that probably managers images similar to an older generation (perhaps one or two generations back) Hassy........
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2012
    Oh, I'm a big cheerleader for anyone willing to do anything different in the camera industry.* I think Foveon and EXR are interesting alternatives to bayer sensors, and I hope they find success in the marketplace.

I'm really hoping that they are able to price the DP models attractively.

*Scott Kelby recently had a post about technology from 2001. I saw the Nikon 995 and started screaming "Want!" and pointing at the screen. :D
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    I just received email with the Dick Merril story and this camera
    Sigma DP2 Merril
    I was really temtped a week ago to buy a DP2s at a good price
    A 46mp in a mirrorless design is really interesting.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Well, the problem with Foveon is that the math does get a bit wonky. One can/one can't (depending on who you ask) wholly/partially/not at all compare the three color layers of the Foveon to a Bayer sensor. It is/is not/is sort of like (take your pick) either a 45mp camera or a 15mp camera or both.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »

Poor Sigma-- it must suck to watch another company (Fuji) take your camera recipe: nonstandard, large sensor, fixed lens compact, and have a runaway success. (X100.).

Isn't that the entire base of sigmas business and lenses? Mimicing others' recipes to take revenue?

I do like having price options though, don't get me wrong. :D
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Isn't it $3300? I thought it was 3300 instead of 2300.

Either way, a nice markdown from the MSRP of $9600 mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Isn't it $3300? I thought it was 3300 instead of 2300.

Either way, a nice markdown from the MSRP of $9600 mwink.gif

Sigma's website says $3300. Dpreview says minimum advertised price is $2300.

Looking at the SRPs on Sigma's site for other things such as lenses, the SRP is significantly higher-- like, smoking crack higher eek7.gif*-- than what they sell for at B&H or Adorama. So my guess is that the final price will be much closer to $2300 than $3300.

*An example: the 17-50 f2.8 EX OS HSM sells for around $590. It's listed SRP is $980.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Yeah, I've always rooted for Sigma but never have had the actual need to buy their cameras. I LOVE my Sigma lenses though, and I'll never stop buying those.

If I were a rich hobbyist, I'd be buying an SD-1 right now for sure, and I'd be out there taking some gorgeous nature photos indeed. But unfortunately, I'm a poor starving artist who will probably NEVER have the kind of cash it takes to invest in multiple systems.

(It's ironic that all the blue-collar / white collar day-jobbers whine and whine about how much they hate their job, while they save for their next big frivolous camera purchase or plan for their next big photo safari. *Shakes head*)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    I'm incredibly interested in the new DP series as a personal camera. If I could mount my Canon lenses on the SD1, I would look very strongly at it. But as it is I'd have to buy too much glass to make it feasible. That and the sync speed is a bit slow. Of course, I still want to see what it can do...
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    I'm incredibly interested in the new DP series as a personal camera. If I could mount my Canon lenses on the SD1, I would look very strongly at it. But as it is I'd have to buy too much glass to make it feasible. That and the sync speed is a bit slow. Of course, I still want to see what it can do...

Patrick you bring up a very good point. Whatever happened to the Kodak DSLR business model, where they make cameras in multiple mounts, instead of ONLY making multiple lenses for multiple mounts like Sigma currently does?

I guess Kodak's complete failure at making cameras may just show what a good idea that is, but yeah...

I'm interested, but it's just not in the budget yet...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Patrick you bring up a very good point. Whatever happened to the Kodak DSLR business model, where they make cameras in multiple mounts, instead of ONLY making multiple lenses for multiple mounts like Sigma currently does?

I guess Kodak's complete failure at making cameras may just show what a good idea that is, but yeah...

I'm interested, but it's just not in the budget yet...

=Matt=

Kodak DSLRs were actually fine for their time but the business model is suspect. The real money is in lenses and I suspect the low end consumer lenses in particular are easy money. To this end, I believe CaNikon were able to grow their market by selling their consumer DSLRs at close to cost while laughing all the way to the bank with lenses and other accessories. It's an example of a model where the consumer wins too. Even the less capable, modern digital DSLR kit delivers a lot for the money.