Options

ep1

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited February 9, 2012 in Cameras
Hi all,
A little guidance please.
I'm currently hosing the mini challenge under the "challenges" category here on dgrin.
It's basically photos not shot with a DSLR, so cells, polaroids, point and shoots, 35mmfilm etc.
Someone has posted photos with a EP1.
Please advise if this is considered a DSLR?
I don't believe it is, but I want to make sure.

Thank you,
Liz
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 8, 2012
    The Olympus Pen E-P1 is most definitely "not" a Digtal-SLR (dSLR) because it lacks a reflex mirror, which is key to the SLR concept.

It is a relatively large imager (Four Thirds format), advanced digital camera (digicam) in a rangefinder style body.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2012
    Hi, Liz! As you know, they are my entries...so you can take my comments with a grain of salt! And if you choose to decide the EP-1 is too close to being a dslr, that's fine with me! (I bought the system because it was pretty darn close to being as useful as my Canons!)

If it helps, the Olympus EP-1 is a micro 4/3rds camera using a mirrorless system. It does allow the use of interchangeable lenses. It is similar to the Lumix GF system from Panasonic and the Sony NEX-7 (which is mirrorless, but not m4/3rds). Here is an article from Outdoor Photographer which describes the "new" category: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/cameras/our-guide-to-mirrorless-cameras.html

Even though I don't think of the EP-1 as a DSLR, it may be that it still breaks the "spirit" of your contest. If that's the case, that is fine! I can certainly live with waiting to play another day! :)
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    I think you should probably clarify the rules to "Nothing with a big sensor," so you're not getting people with cameras like Micro Four Thirds or Nex competing.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »
    I think you should probably clarify the rules to "Nothing with a big sensor," so you're not getting people with cameras like Micro Four Thirds or Nex competing.

The problem is defining "big." If 4/3 is out, what about 2/3"? What about film? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Olympus Pen E-P1 is most definitely "not" a Digtal-SLR (dSLR) because it lacks a reflex mirror, which is key to the SLR concept.

It is a relatively large imager (Four Thirds format), advanced digital camera (digicam) in a rangefinder style body.

thanks Ziggy.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Hi, Liz! As you know, they are my entries...so you can take my comments with a grain of salt! And if you choose to decide the EP-1 is too close to being a dslr, that's fine with me! (I bought the system because it was pretty darn close to being as useful as my Canons!)

If it helps, the Olympus EP-1 is a micro 4/3rds camera using a mirrorless system. It does allow the use of interchangeable lenses. It is similar to the Lumix GF system from Panasonic and the Sony NEX-7 (which is mirrorless, but not m4/3rds). Here is an article from Outdoor Photographer which describes the "new" category: http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/cameras/our-guide-to-mirrorless-cameras.html

Even though I don't think of the EP-1 as a DSLR, it may be that it still breaks the "spirit" of your contest. If that's the case, that is fine! I can certainly live with waiting to play another day! :)

Hey there,
    Yes it was your images that prompted my post.
    I did not clarify from the get go and it's hard to draw a line as to where to stop, so I will go with my original post no DSLR shots and yours isn't one, so you are good to go. You are not the only one, so do not remove your shots, you are in good company. I just wanted to make sure on my end.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Internaut wrote: »

thank you Internaut.
    I want all entries to stay. I will just stick to the orginal no DSLR.
    It will still work. I appreciate your input.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    The problem is defining "big." If 4/3 is out, what about 2/3"? What about film? ne_nau.gif

that's what I've struggled with.

So it stays as is.

Thanks Mark.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    OK...thanks, Liz! I sure didn't mean to muddy any waters! Given the high quality of the posts you've had on that list, though, it is an honor to still get to play...