Options

Camera Club Portrait - Ruby

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited February 9, 2012 in People
At camera club yesterday we set up a load of lights and had a portrait session. Here is the first I processed.
I used one light mostly on the backdrop, and the other camera left as the main. A reflective sheet camera left for fill...How does it look?

6843890375_97c7815368_o.jpg
Ruby at Camera Club Portrait Session by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    It may be just my screen but the face seems to be soft. I would have focused more on the face so it was sharper and not her shirt. As for lighting it looks a bit hot to me on her left side (camera right), but that may be just my taste.
    Facebook - Twitter
    Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Very nice shot. I don't see the softness or hot spot that FarnsworthPhotography mentions -- looks sharp and well exposed to me. I don't think you described the lighting set up correctly though. The main light was camera right, correct? Next time, pay attention a bit more to the styling -- her hair is a bit of a mess the way it gets caught up in her collar. I think that takes a way a bit from the overall success of the photo (there's also a weird blur in the top right corner of the background -- clone that out).
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    6845622353_c034a8b690_o.jpg
    lights by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

But I think the light I had on the BG was closer to ME and gave too much spill on Ruby's left side.

She was tired (drafted in to model at the last minute) and had already sat for over an hour. It was also nearly 3 hours past bed time, she is only 6. :)
    But she is a club member so attends the meetings. :)
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Very nice image. I also see some hot spots. But, still very nice.

It's funny that your main is to camera left, but the catch light is from the BG light, which is also indicated by the shadows cast from that direction. This is usually the case when your subject is way too close to the background light.

I also see, from your exif data that your were shooting at 1/250, ISO 100, and f-11. Did you guys meter the lights when you set them up? I don't do this type of shot a lot, but would think that 1/125 at f-5.6 at 100-200-400 ISO would have worked well for exposing her, with the BG lighted at f 8 or f 11 at the most. You will be better served by getting her away from the background and background light, so that you are free to expose her a stop or two below your BG lighting using your main as a reference. Easy peasy...

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Very nice image. I also see some hot spots. But, still very nice.

It's funny that your main is to camera left, but the catch light is from the BG light, which is also indicated by the shadows cast from that direction. This is usually the case when your subject is way too close to the background light. You could have moved her further away from the BG...and reduced the spill from your BG light.

Thank you...yes I sort of realised that afterwards. Originally the BG light was closer to the background, but I think someone said there was too muchj shadow on the left of Ruby's face, and so moved it away from the background and closer to the photographer, causing the spill. We could have done with some flags or something, maybe?

Cheers
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Thank you...yes I sort of realized that afterwords. Originally the BG light was closer to the background, but I think someone said there was too much shadow on the left of Ruby's face, and so moved it away from the background and closer to the photographer, causing the spill. We could have done with some flags or something, maybe? Cheers

Did you meter the lights? You were really cranking out the light, if you had to shoot her at ISO 100, 1/250 shutter speed, and f-11, according to your photo's exif data.

Just looked at your flicker images...you sure have some nice shots there.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Did you meter the lights? You were really cranking out the light, if you had to shoot her at ISO 100, 1/250 shutter speed, and f-11, according to your photo's exif data.

No meter. :(

Just set up the lights in the space we had, and changed settings on the camera until I got a decent exposure. I don't have a meter. i know some at the club do have, but I didn't see one on that night. Mind you, we were all in different parts of the building with different set ups.