Options

Portrait Man

FishEyeJohnFishEyeJohn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited February 11, 2012 in People
Thsi is a portrait shot I took of someone out in the snow

What do you guys think?

Any advice on how to improve next time..

:dunno
“ Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph. – Matt Hardy

“ You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Several suggestions.
    1. The grey sky as a background is a sure loser. Blah.
    2. Having the horizon bisect your subject's head would destroy the best shot.
    3. The shot is not even close to being in focus.
    4. Shots of people are almost always more pleasant if the subject is not looking straight into the camera. A good guidline is that you only want to see one ear at a time.
    5. It's underexposed. Your meter was fooled by having so much sky in the frame.
    6. The eyes are dead. You either need to pop a little fill flash or orient your subject so there's some sky reflected in the eyes.

What is there about this photo that you like?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    This seems more like a candid snapshot, like you just said hey let me take your picture, click. It is lacking a few things that would make it a portrait.. there is no posing, no planning, no preparing, no attention paid to the background, no attention paid to details or to improving the shot, no attempt to flatter the subject or to capture his personality or expression.
    To improve next time plan ahead, consider wardrobe, select a better background, a better pose, anything that would flatter the subject, try to improve the lighting either with flash, or a reflector. And read up on exposing when shooting in snow. Think about what you want to capture with this subject.
    And then post again !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    What she said...
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    This seems more like a candid snapshot, like you just said hey let me take your picture, click. It is lacking a few things that would make it a portrait.. there is no posing, no planning, no preparing, no attention paid to the background, no attention paid to details or to improving the shot, no attempt to flatter the subject or to capture his personality or expression.
    To improve next time plan ahead, consider wardrobe, select a better background, a better pose, anything that would flatter the subject, try to improve the lighting either with flash, or a reflector. And read up on exposing when shooting in snow. Think about what you want to capture with this subject.
    And then post again !!

He's got to be yanking our chain...wings.gif
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2012
    Photoshop Blur on the background - not very good :(
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me