Options

Cute couple.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited February 10, 2012 in People
This is an engagement shoot I did last week. Handsome couple they were pretty easy after the first 15 minutes or so and they relaxed.
All natural light with the d3 and the 85 1.4.
Their full gallery is here: http://alloutdoor.smugmug.com/Engagement-galleries/Lacy-and-Brian/21341201_BLRBD9#!i=1699757273&k=n7DDSpn

950D3R7725.jpg

950D3R7884-2.jpg

950D3R7961-2.jpg

950D3R8080.jpg

950D3R7857-2.jpg

950D3R8036-2newedited-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Absolutely love, love, LOVE #2! That may be one of my favorite shots of yours EVER, because the energy just jumps off the page. Sure, one could find technical nits (that dark frame to the left is awfully prominent), but I don't care because I love the feel of it and the PJ style you've used makes those things not terribly important. I love that even with shallow depth of field all the important stuff is there in frame in a way that makes you notice it (eg her left hand).

Btw, John Galt, This shot is a textbook example of what I've meant by a shallow depth of field shot that still manages to provide context and texture thumb.gif
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Told you, you should do more of these! Glad you did, they're great.

Only slightly negative input I could give is that in Number Two, I would have preferred bare feet as opposed to the bottom of her shoes.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    #2 really is a standout. That 1.4 lens does a great job (I should say, you did a great job with the 1.4 lens). #5 is great too. You captured the anticipation of a kiss perfectly.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    My Disclaimer: Reminders help remind us...

Nice images... I really like your set overall... nice job... great location... Don't you just love the 85mm lens?
    A couple of thoughts... I'm not a real fan of CLUB hands...
    In #1 ... Her clutching hand just drives me nuttso... In the future maybe you can keep an eye on this and go for more relaxed or even move her hand up towards his elbow... hands can really make or break a great portrait.
    In 3... "I want to drink your blood"... and she says... yeah, okay... go ahead... I've never been a fan of this shot... (that's just me... however, your execution is wonderful)
    #4 This is the only image she looks chunky in... horizontal stripes can be a killer... This is a perfect case of how they can extend a body... The hand... again... ...I would have moved her hand down to the seams on his shoulder... Love the high-key... Super deluxe...
    #5... I think they needed a little more eyeball ...
    *** #6... Perfect... Simply a great portrait... bravo... I of course don't know this couple but I can tell you nailed them here... ring hand & all :)
    Do you play with curves at all in photoshop? I think I would have clicked on his face & warmed that up just a smidgen or 2... 3:) Also in PS... I might have desaturated the red on her wrist in this last shot... It's certainly not a deal breaker but I think it would help from sucking your eyeballs right into it...
    Just my 3 cents worth:) thanks for sharing...
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment, appreciate your remarks and feedback.
    Yes the 1.4 is nice for portraits. I always wrestle with using the 70-200 at high mm or using the 85.
    They are using the bottom photo announcement.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 9, 2012
    Outstanding set. To me the tension in their hands in #1 gives the shot a sense of passion. So when is her boudoir shoot? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Thanks kdog.
    There were really nervous when we first showed up this was about the 5th shot we took. I told them to pretend they snuck off from a tour for a quick makeout session....they were just kinda getting going and I said really loud "hey what are you two doing back here" this is the look I got for number 1.
    We had a good laugh then and the tension went away pretty quickly after that...
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    I like 2 best. Great pics overall.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Wonderful work here as always. You have prompted me to start using my 85 again. I put it aside when I got my 50 1.4 and have been wondering why I need both, you just answered my thoughts. I just LOVE your engagement sessions, they are what I would be happy to accomplish someday. I still remember that couple out on a farm (the gal that was not happy and the boy who needed a haircut) , tractors ..who knew?? Anyway, your posts have always been inspiring to me. bowdown.gif
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2012
    Thanks Scott and Trudy.
    That farm shoot is still one of my favorites.
    Yes the 85 makes portraits so much easier, appreciate your comments.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Really nice set. 2 & 5 are the stand-outs, IMHO. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Nice set, really like 1 & 5 especially. More and more I grab the 85 when outside.
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    2, 5 and 6 are my favorites and if I had to choose one I would go with the last one. It is traditional yet different at the same time....Well done.