Options

D3x?

WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited February 18, 2012 in Cameras
With all of the great new offerings its a great time to be a long time Nikon fan :ivar
...but am I the only one that thinks the King of the mountain D3x is still the one to have??:scratch
I am on the trail of a couple of sub 2000 SC now. But at 5800ish wouldn't a person be better off with the D4 :scratch Kind of hard to answer that question as they haven't actually shipped any yet :rofl

Also is there a way to find out if a used camera is actually a USA model?

If you are a X user please feel free to chime in and tell just how great they are..you wont be alone :thumb
Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 9, 2012
    If I shot Nikon the Nikon D3s would be my FX camera of choice, as well as either a D300s or a D7000 to complement with DX. I truly believe that the Nikon D3/D3s will go down in history as groundbreaking professional Nikon bodies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Ziggy,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree you could not go wrong with either.
    Lots of great choices right now. mwink.gif
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    In my opinion, Nikon has really left the D3X high and dry. I'd be shocked if I didn't see people trying to peddle theirs off as a straight trade to the D800 in a year or three.

Just tell me, what on earth does the D3X offer that the D800 doesn't? Dual CF instead of CF+SD? A few buttons in dfferent places? Slightly better weather sealing when using a vertical grip? Even if you add up EVERY feature, including the fact that the D3X is of course simply built to a higher standard in general, (shutter life comes to mind) ...It still isn't worth more than ~$1,000 extra to me.

So even if you do believe that the D3X is still a pinnacle of Nikon achievement and a great camera to have, (both are true) ...I would at least wait 6-12 months and see if I couldn't score one for ~$4K or so...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    Just tell me, what on earth does the D3X offer that the D800 doesn't?
    And that is the question. Just how good is that 800 going to be..because at 3k its a steal. The grip is another 500 but still under 4,000.
    How could you expect a X owner to sell for that? It would have to be well used. And to be honest I rarely buy anything used much less electronics.

I cant get a straight answer from Nikon on the grey market thing. I gave them a serial number and they looked for about 5 min and still couldn't tell me if it was USA or not.
    He did say that if a deal on the internet seemed to good to be true it probably was. rolleyes1.gif
    going to be a short nights sleep tonight.
    Thanks for the input.
    Gary
  • Options
    borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    The D800 should have a significant ISO advantage over the D3x, at least that is what it looks like now based on images shown.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Wayupthere wrote: »
    And that is the question. Just how good is that 800 going to be..because at 3k its a steal. The grip is another 500 but still under 4,000.
    How could you expect a X owner to sell for that? It would have to be well used. And to be honest I rarely buy anything used much less electronics.

I cant get a straight answer from Nikon on the grey market thing. I gave them a serial number and they looked for about 5 min and still couldn't tell me if it was USA or not.
    He did say that if a deal on the internet seemed to good to be true it probably was. rolleyes1.gif
    going to be a short nights sleep tonight.
    Thanks for the input.
    Gary

Honestly like I said, $5800 is D4 territory if you don't really NEED that kind of resolution; otherwise if you're bent on getting a true flagship AND you need megapixels, dont' get this one for $5800- just wait a year or so, let the D800 saturate the market, and I PROMISE you'll be able to pick up a used D3X for at least $5K, if not $4K.

I know it's scary to buy used electronics, but honestly this a fine piece of engineering and it won't give you any surprises if you give it a good test once you buy it. Getting it of Ebay or Craigslist might be a little too risky, but there are better options out there. So there you have it. Either get the D800, or get a D4 if you've got that kind of cash, or at least wait a year to see what happens to the D3X price. Unless NG is hiring you on full time in the next two months an sending you to Antarctica, I'm going to bet that you can survive on the camera gear you've got now... ;-)

=Matt=
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    I'm thinking the D3X is done for as far as new sales are concerned. It's like...hmmm...where's it's niche. Not a better portrait camera than the D800...doesn't have better ISO...doesn't have more card slots...doesn't have Expeed3, doesn't have the newest CAM3500 focus system...doesn't have the newest color metering system...doesn't have a pop-up flash and CLS, doesn't have HD video, and can't use the newest memory card technology...hmmm...it does have twice the price, though. If you need better weather sealing than the D800 offers...buy a weather jacket for it...it's sure not worth twice the price for a little more water protection.

And, you can buy two D800's and a new lense for the price of one new D3X.

I don't see the D3X as a flagship anymore...it's been replaced by the D800. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure the D3X is a good camera...just not a leader when compared to the D800. (Now that Nikon has muddied upn the model numbers again.) Maybe the D4x will be a 45MP body...who knows.

So, does anyone reallly want D3x now that the D800 is here?
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2012
    So, does anyone reallly want D3x now that the D800 is here?
    Yea..I do..or I thought so.headscratch.gif
    This week just had to be fricken crazy at the shop, so didn't have a lot of extra time. My thinking was to get a low shutter count X or S before everybody dumped them for the new gear.
    But now that the ball has dropped on the new bodies, you almost cant go with older "flagships" unless someone is practically giving them away.
    But just a couple of minutes ago they were taking some of the most stunning pictures there is...and now they are worthless?
    Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing anybody's point..in fact I agree..I guess I just don't like it. headscratch.gif
    And, you can buy two D800's and a new lens for the price of one new D3X.
    This is what sealed the deal for me today..Harsh cold facts. eek7.gif

By the way, if anybody is looking for a no doubt, no problem, 20k shutter D3s please call Really Right Stuff. Ask for Carla, tell her that Gary sent you and you will get a 10% discount.

Ok, you wont get a discount but she is a great salesgal! :D
    Gary
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    ...I don't see the D3X as a flagship anymore...it's been replaced by the D800. Don't get me wrong...I'm sure the D3X is a good camera...just not a leader when compared to the D800. (Now that Nikon has muddied upn the model numbers again.) Maybe the D4x will be a 45MP body...who knows....

Yep, this is exactly the sentiment I posted in another topic, and in the article I wrote on the D800...

"Actually, Nikon has had a long history of NOT being afraid to develop a more affordable camera that totally under-cuts it’s previous, more expensive model. First, in 2003 the D70 versus the D100. Then, the D300 versus the D2X. Then, the D700 and the D3. Now, the D800 and the D3X. This is one of the reasons why I like Nikon as a brand- they always outdo themselves, on a level that I can afford."

Nikon is just really awesome about boldly making new cameras that blow away their previous models. Sometimes (2005-2007) it's because they simply need to play catch-up. Sometimes though, like now, ...they simply are say "this is the best damn camera we can make, enjoy!"

Like you said, it's not like the D3X is all of a sudden obsolete or something. It's just all of a sudden a TERRIBLE value for the price, unless you need something specific that it offers but the D800 doesn't...

=Matt=
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Like you said, it's not like the D3X is all of a sudden obsolete or something. It's just all of a sudden a TERRIBLE value for the price

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is the very truth.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    That's what it comes down to for sure. Doesn't really matter..unless you are trying to sell..then its a harsh reality.
    A little like real estate in Fl right now. Been looking hard down there for the last 4 months. Unbelievable buys. I was talking with one of my old customers that lives there.
    He said that the market value of his house is 30% of 10 years ago..eek7.gif But he said that is fine..he is not trying to sell :D
    Gary
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Like you said, it's not like the D3X is all of a sudden obsolete or something. It's just all of a sudden a TERRIBLE value for the price, unless you need something specific that it offers but the D800 doesn't...

=Matt=

The D3x has always been terrible value for the price. But there is one single reaason I'd prefer it over the D800. At least for shooting portraits or fashion. I can hold the full size body all day. When I first bought my F4s back in the 90s, it was the first camera from ANYONE that I could hold and shoot all day wihtout my hand going numb. That won't show up in a print or a download, but it sure shows up in my demeanor on a shoot, or a willingness to put in a full day. My D7000 makes my hand cramp after 45 minutes. I now put it down every 10 minutes or so and I am able to make it through a 2 hour shoot. If I've got a 4hr shoot or longer, I don't even put it in my bag. It's a no go. Even with the grip. My pro bodies, no problem at all. If Nikon release a D4x with that 36MP sensor, I'll beat people with a stick to get my hands on it. I pre-orered aa D800, but I know my hands are going to be KILLING me.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Perroneford, I'm assuming you are not pre-ordering the D4. Given the ergonomic issue you experience with the D700 (even with the grip), why are you going the route of the D800? Since you said you'd go for a D4x (were there one), it doesn't seem to be a straight $$ issue. You just need the additional MP?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    The D3x has always been terrible value for the price. But there is one single reaason I'd prefer it over the D800. At least for shooting portraits or fashion. I can hold the full size body all day. When I first bought my F4s back in the 90s, it was the first camera from ANYONE that I could hold and shoot all day wihtout my hand going numb. That won't show up in a print or a download, but it sure shows up in my demeanor on a shoot, or a willingness to put in a full day. My D7000 makes my hand cramp after 45 minutes. I now put it down every 10 minutes or so and I am able to make it through a 2 hour shoot. If I've got a 4hr shoot or longer, I don't even put it in my bag. It's a no go. Even with the grip. My pro bodies, no problem at all. If Nikon release a D4x with that 36MP sensor, I'll beat people with a stick to get my hands on it. I pre-orered aa D800, but I know my hands are going to be KILLING me.

If you've only ever held a gripped D7000, then I think you're in for a pleasant surprise if you try a gripped D800. From the look of the controls and based on the feel of how the D700 / D300 grip already is, I think the D800 grip is going to be great. But, you're right, having the grip be built-in is one reason to go with a flagship. Just not a $5,000 reason for me

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Perroneford, I'm assuming you are not pre-ordering the D4. Given the ergonomic issue you experience with the D700 (even with the grip), why are you going the route of the D800? Since you said you'd go for a D4x (were there one), it doesn't seem to be a straight $$ issue. You just need the additional MP?

D7000 not D700. I've held a D700 and it's better, but it's no D3.

I am not going with the D4 simply because I need the MP. If the D4 had 24 I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'd been contemplating a move to either Sony, or Pentax 645 until the D800 was announced. So, I'll put the grip on my D800, and use it with the 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 since I won't have to hold it up. I'll put the 70-200 on the D3s since I can comfortably hold that one. And should Nikon release a D4x with the same sensor, or a D4s with at least 21MP, I'll sell all this stuff and move up.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    If you've only ever held a gripped D7000, then I think you're in for a pleasant surprise if you try a gripped D800. From the look of the controls and based on the feel of how the D700 / D300 grip already is, I think the D800 grip is going to be great. But, you're right, having the grip be built-in is one reason to go with a flagship. Just not a $5,000 reason for me

=Matt=

Well, I've got a gripped D200 but I just bought it a couple weeks ago and haven't really worked with it. All the rest of my bodies are pro bodies (save for the D7000). Maybe I'll head over to Best Buy tomorrow and see if the D700 without the grip feels the same as the D200 without the grip. If they are similar, then my gripped D200 should be reasonably similar to the gripped D700.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Well, I've got a gripped D200 but I just bought it a couple weeks ago and haven't really worked with it. All the rest of my bodies are pro bodies (save for the D7000). Maybe I'll head over to Best Buy tomorrow and see if the D700 without the grip feels the same as the D200 without the grip. If they are similar, then my gripped D200 should be reasonably similar to the gripped D700.

I've had the D200, still have a D300, and now the D700. To me, they all feel essentially the same. I haven't noticed any difference, actually.

Hope this helps.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    I've had the D200, still have a D300, and now the D700. To me, they all feel essentially the same. I haven't noticed any difference, actually.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that. Yes it helps. I pulled out the D200 last night in fact and put some glass on it to play around with. It's certainly more comfortable than my D7000, so maybe I can get through a full day with it.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012

Hope this helps.

This is true. I'm staring at all three of those bodies as I type. They are essentially the same.