Options

uploading pics from another website

shwetznrshwetznr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
I want to switch my online photo storage to SM.. I wanted to know though if I can transfer or upload pictures from another internet site ( for example: my current photo sharing website, Fotki. )

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Bulk uploaders?
    shwetznr wrote:
    I want to switch my online photo storage to SM.. I wanted to know though if I can transfer or upload pictures from another internet site ( for example: my current photo sharing website, Fotki. )

Thanks.
    If you can get all the images from Fotki onto your own hard disk (perhaps order an image DVD from them), there are a number of 3rd party uploaders that can then upload them all the smugmug in one unattended session. I happen to use Star Explorer, but there are others too.

I'm not aware of any tools to directly copy images from Fotki to Smugmug. Hopefully other people will have other ideas.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    shwetznr wrote:

Thanks.

Hi shwetznr,

I'm going to move this to the "hacks" forum - I know some of our resident hackers are working on tools to move photos from flickr and from pbase - shouldn't be too difficult to do so from Fotki, either.

Stay tuned, and thanks for posting!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    Thanks

I do hope I can move them from fotki. It would be a pain to upload them form different disks I have, some of which I have misplaced I think.
    andy wrote:
    Hi shwetznr,

I'm going to move this to the "hacks" forum - I know some of our resident hackers are working on tools to move photos from flickr and from pbase - shouldn't be too difficult to do so from Fotki, either.

Stay tuned, and thanks for posting!
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Fotki -> Smugmug
    Fotki -> Smugmug

OK, so it shoudln't be too hard. Harder than Flickr, because it doesn't seem to offer an API, but screen scraping should be possible without much difficulty.

If you have a premium account it should be even easier, it can just be FTP downloaded and then re-uploaded.

So the good news is, it should certainly be possible.

The bad news is, that I can't release the software to you until Smugmug fix their API bugs.

If you don't mind, it would be really helpful if you could let me know your FOTKI identity so I can get an impression of the problem I'm working on.

I might be able to help without releasing the software formally, so lets see whether we can get round the issue. I have some hope.

I'm sure you'll be happy with Smugmug, it's a great service :-)

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    I do hope I can move them from fotki. It would be a pain to upload them form different disks I have, some of which I have misplaced I think.
    Have faith, I'm sure we'll be able to do it somehow :-)

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    1 £0v3 0µr $mµgmµg h4(k3r$
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Fotki -> Smugmug

OK, so it shoudln't be too hard. Harder than Flickr, because it doesn't seem to offer an API, but screen scraping should be possible without much difficulty.

If you have a premium account it should be even easier, it can just be FTP downloaded and then re-uploaded.

So the good news is, it should certainly be possible.

The bad news is, that I can't release the software to you until Smugmug fix their API bugs.

If you don't mind, it would be really helpful if you could let me know your FOTKI identity so I can get an impression of the problem I'm working on.

I might be able to help without releasing the software formally, so lets see whether we can get round the issue. I have some hope.

Cheers,

Luke
    from a former FOTKI member, any FTP client can fully access the FOTKI account....d'load cuteFTP and do it all for free...drag 'n drop.

Doug
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    photodoug wrote:
    from a former FOTKI member, any FTP client can fully access the FOTKI account....d'load cuteFTP and do it all for free...drag 'n drop.

Doug
    Hi Doug,

Can you get the Metadata like keywords that way as well?

I was thinking that we could automate the solution slightly more, handling things like connection fall-over during the long transfer etc.

But yes, FTP would work to some degree for a preimum user, on a fast connection.

Incidentally Fotki -> Smugmug would be free as well ;)

Luke
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2005
    Hi Doug,

Can you get the Metadata like keywords that way as well?

I was thinking that we could automate the solution slightly more, handling things like connection fall-over during the long transfer etc.

But yes, FTP would work to some degree for a preimum user, on a fast connection.

Incidentally Fotki -> Smugmug would be free as well ;)

Luke
    The sysadmins there are ready/willing to assist...direct your questions to 'em.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    If you still need it , my identity on fotki is: shwetznr

Let me know if you need any other info from me. I'm glad that you may be able to make this happen. Thanks

I do have a premium account on Fotki, but a standard account with SM.
    Fotki -> Smugmug

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    Could you please let me know what I need to do next to transfer the pictures. I am not a very tech savy person, so the whole FTP stuff is going over my head.

Thanks.
    Fotki -> Smugmug

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2005
    shwetznr wrote:
    Could you please let me know what I need to do next to transfer the pictures. I am not a very tech savy person, so the whole FTP stuff is going over my head.

Thanks.

Hi Shwetznr, standby, our hackers work on a volunteer-basis thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    shwetznr wrote:

Thanks.
    We can do this 2 ways....

1. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I should have the process automated. You enter your Fotki information in an application and your smugmug info, and sit back and wait...

2. If you don't wish to wait, then I can send you instructions as to how to use an FTP client, it's not all that hard... Then you can upload the photos either using something like S*E or just Smumug's Uploaders.

Cheers,

Luke
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2005
    I will wait for you to do what you need to do. When you think I can try your automated process let me know. I will keep a lookout for your 'go ahead' signal.

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate it.

Shweta
    We can do this 2 ways....

1. If you can wait a couple of weeks, I should have the process automated. You enter your Fotki information in an application and your smugmug info, and sit back and wait...

2. If you don't wish to wait, then I can send you instructions as to how to use an FTP client, it's not all that hard... Then you can upload the photos either using something like S*E or just Smumug's Uploaders.

Cheers,

Luke