Options

Video Uploads on a Flaky Connection

RussianspiRussianspi Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
Hi everyone! I recently upgraded to a Power account, and I've got a problem. I have a VERY flaky, very slow internet connection (upload and download over VSAT). I want to start uploading videos, but every time I try, my connection hiccups at some point during the upload. Is there a way (commercial or otherwise) that I can upload a video and resume where I left off if my connection drops? I HATE getting 90% of a video uploaded and needing to start over (manually, at that). The Smugmug default uploader isn't bad for pictures, but it's NOT doing what I need for videos. Is there a way to change this behavior? Can I vote on a feature for this (I didn't see one)? Is there another uploader that will do this without breaking the bank? Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Try Olde Faithful. But SAT connections lack some stability, and we rely on stability to verify each packet sent :(
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2012
    Thanks, Andy. Does Olde Faithful resume interrupted partial downloads? And for the verification, does high latency mess everything up, or just lack of stability? I can handle a file that gets uploaded slowly, bit by bit, but I'd hate to just have something trying and retrying from the beginning with no way for me to see what's going on.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Russianspi wrote: »
    Thanks, Andy. Does Olde Faithful resume interrupted partial downloads? And for the verification, does high latency mess everything up, or just lack of stability? I can handle a file that gets uploaded slowly, bit by bit, but I'd hate to just have something trying and retrying from the beginning with no way for me to see what's going on.
    You can try the HTML5 uploader, it will resume if the connection is interrupted. Don't think it's going to help with the packet loss. Satellite connections can be unforgiving. :(
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    The HTML5 Uploader is what I tried first. It might resume and try another file, but it sure doesn't seem to resume the same file on a connection that goes offline for a few seconds. I tried and tried and tried to upload one of my videos using the HTML5 uploader, and every time the internet connection would hiccup, I'd just get an error message about one of my videos having fallen behind, with a prompt to start that file over. I don't mind packet loss - even on a great connection packets can be lost. The error correction built into TCP should work fine for packet loss. I just don't want to have to start my uploads over again every time I lose connection for a moment. At this point, I'm looking at using dropbox to upload the files, and having someone with a good connection put them in my Smugmug account. It just seems backwards though.

Is there a way to do Smugmug uploads like torrents, or dropbox uploads (or like the Motionbox express uploader, before Motionbox got sold)? It seems that with these methods, a file can be uploaded bit by bit and if a piece is lost or mangled, then the whole file is not lost.