Options

Old Movie Still - C and C Please!

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited February 15, 2012 in People
Some of you know of my love of old movies. I have been wanting to try something like this for a long time.

Finally got the shots to give it a whirl.

Did I pull the 1920's movie still look off?

Comments

• Options
    Brock62Brock62 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    I think you did, I like it nice .
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Bryce, you seem to be taking quantum leaps in your photography, big congrats.
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Some of you know of my love of old movies. I have been wanting to try something like this for a long time.

Finally got the shots to give it a whirl.

Did I pull the 1920's movie still look off?
    It seems you see this yiurself - this bright white spot near his hat is not good for the composition..
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2012
    Brock62 wrote: »
    I think you did, I like it nice .

Thanks a lot!
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Bryce, you seem to be taking quantum leaps in your photography, big congrats.
    Thanks Charles! You can give yourself a pat on the back then, as you (and others here) have played no small part in any improvement I may have made.
    It seems you see this yiurself - this bright white spot near his hat is not good for the composition..

I think I see what you mean Mr. Pautov. Not one to leave things alone, is this rework more to your liking?
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    It's very cool. thumb.gif But, as is often the case with composites (and why I hesitate even to try one, although at some point I know I must/should if only for fun).... the light on him vs the directionality of the light(s) in the bg doesn't match. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed that as much if I hadn't seen the original hi-key portrait already to *know* that it's a mashup, but even so - the patches of light left of his right arm (camera left), with their circular shape and steep falloff, don't match the bright light ON his right (camera left) arm. Does that make any sense at all? rolleyes1.gif

Regardless, love it. I'm just assuming you read Strobist, yes? If not, you need to go dig out and read the Film Noir assignment/series he did over there - fantastic stuff.
  • Options
    CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    Bryce... I like your lighting... you did a great job on the shot... but your guy... he wants to be a model right? Well, he needs to get some facial character. You know... something to make him stand out from the crowd... He needs more than just the plain old look everyone else has... Do you have other shots of his with some expression? He looks like he would be fun to work with.

P.S.... try poking him with a stick:)
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2012
    In the edited version, there is something going on with his right eye that's not in the original. Other than that, I like the edited version better.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    captain78 wrote: »
    In the edited version, there is something going on with his right eye that's not in the original. Other than that, I like the edited version better.
    15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    I agree with the weird thingy on his right eye. He looks zombified now.

I disagree with Diva though. Looks like you used two rim lights and a key which solves the issue of directional lighting since you have a light source hitting your subject from all sides.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    It's very cool. thumb.gif But, as is often the case with composites (and why I hesitate even to try one, although at some point I know I must/should if only for fun).... the light on him vs the directionality of the light(s) in the bg doesn't match. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed that as much if I hadn't seen the original hi-key portrait already to *know* that it's a mashup, but even so - the patches of light left of his right arm (camera left), with their circular shape and steep falloff, don't match the bright light ON his right (camera left) arm. Does that make any sense at all? rolleyes1.gif

Regardless, love it. I'm just assuming you read Strobist, yes? If not, you need to go dig out and read the Film Noir assignment/series he did over there - fantastic stuff.

I'm not sure if I agree with the light direction issue. Being a nightclub scene, the subject could certainly be standing underneath a chandelier or other light source. But I do value hearing what other people see! I have looked around strobist a bit but had not seen the film noir thread. Will certainly look it up. Thanks again.
    Cowboydoug wrote: »
    Bryce... I like your lighting... you did a great job on the shot... but your guy... he wants to be a model right? Well, he needs to get some facial character. You know... something to make him stand out from the crowd... He needs more than just the plain old look everyone else has... Do you have other shots of his with some expression? He looks like he would be fun to work with.

P.S.... try poking him with a stick:)

Thanks a lot Doug.

I will keep expressions in mind and try to coax him out a bit. This was his first ever session and I'm sure he'll get more expressive as he gets a few more under his belt.
    captain78 wrote: »

I see that now. Think I made a boo boo with the dodge tool.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Am posting final result
    I agree with the weird thingy on his right eye. He looks zombified now.

I disagree with Diva though. Looks like you used two rim lights and a key which solves the issue of directional lighting since you have a light source hitting your subject from all sides.

As I mentioned above, I thought it looked like he was standing under a light at the entrance to the club.

Here is the Non-Zombiefied version! :D
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I keep looking at this trying to figure out what it is that doesn't make sense to me on his camera left arm. I THINK (thinking about this further), it's because there's rim on his arm.... but where is it on the counter I perceive him to be leaning on? I may not have noticed it if I'd seen the composite before the original portrait, but you know how easy it is to start obsessing over these kinds of photographic details!

Here's one of the Strobist threads, btw (follow links and look in the lighting 102 archive for more) - enjoy! http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/12/lighting-102-42-ultra-hard-light-film.html
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I think this is great Bryce. Reminds me of that show on HBO, Boardwalk Empire.. love that show.
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com