Options

Smaller files?

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited October 31, 2005 in Cameras
Perhaps this is a post process question. But I have noticed that the images I have been editing lately from the races are not nearly as large (HDD-wise) as the ones I was taking before. I am not doing much at all to them in PS, nor was I them. Is there a setting I should be looking at on my 20D to see if it was set to a lowered setting? Besides the L setting I mean.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited October 31, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Perhaps this is a post process question. But I have noticed that the images I have been editing lately from the races are not nearly as large (HDD-wise) as the ones I was taking before. I am not doing much at all to them in PS, nor was I them. Is there a setting I should be looking at on my 20D to see if it was set to a lowered setting? Besides the L setting I mean.
    It sounds as if you are shooting in-camera jpgs at the L setting. The file size is determined by the detailed information in the scene and the ISO used.

Images with lots of fine details will be significantly larger than simple scenes with minimal detail and minimal color changes. Higher ISO imges tend ot be smaller also. That is why they can vary so much, even without changes in images quality settings in the camera.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin