Options

I'm a guitar player and motorcyclist...

AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited February 25, 2012 in Cameras
...those are my hobbies. I really don't know squat about cameras though I have some old SLR film cameras and a small Casio digital pocket-carry that I use on my motorcycle rides.

I would like to start DSLR video-recording of myself when I play. Equipment-wise I just want to start with simple stuff like using an iMac with Garageband and iMovie software. I think I am there with what I need for audio when recording at home. I also travel in my job sometimes and tend to take a guitar with me, so for portability when on the road I will use Zoom H1 audio recorder (H4n is real overkill for my needs).

My question is that I don't even know where to start when it comes to choosing a DSLR camera. When I go into a camera store I am just overwhelmed. I just want good equipment that will do a decent job of video'ing me and where I can sink up the video with the sound track easy enough.

Haaaaaalp!

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2012
    SO I take it you're gonna set this up on a tripod and just shoot it straight out?

I understand about the overwhelming amount DSLR cameras available!

But just to be sure, you do know they're not really "Video" cameras, right? I mean, that has been the rule of sorts and that is surely changing, but DSLR's are still primarily designed to do really fantastic Stills & also capture a video when needed.

If you want Primo-Video, then there are better choices. The Canon C300 comes to mind.

So just to help, take time to truly dig in and identify your needs, and what you'd desire as an end result. if DOF: [Depth of field] is the draw to DSLR's, then your choices become limited quickly.

And I won't go further until you dig in and identify more of your needs and desires. Also if you have a budget that often helps others limit suggestions.
    tom wise
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    It's funny that I'm in your same boat (guitarist, motorcyclist, photog, network engineer, wait a minute lol).

If you want those awesome soft videos you see on youtube of people getting photographed while playing, you HAVE to have someone behind the DSLR. It's impossible other wise. That shallow DOF that looks so amazing really requires a set of hands on it's own.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    ...So just to help, take time to truly dig in and identify your needs, and what you'd desire as an end result. if DOF: [Depth of field] is the draw to DSLR's, then your choices become limited quickly.

Take the time? I'm trying to avoid that, which is why I posted. I've got a regular job that keeps me busy, so don't have a lot of research time available. Yes, I'll put the camera on a tripod. I don't want to buy a video camera, but want a DSLR that takes video, that way I can also take still pictures with the DSLR.
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    It's funny that I'm in your same boat (guitarist, motorcyclist, photog, network engineer, wait a minute lol).

If you want those awesome soft videos you see on youtube of people getting photographed while playing, you HAVE to have someone behind the DSLR. It's impossible other wise. That shallow DOF that looks so amazing really requires a set of hands on it's own.

Nope, nobody to help. I'm not really looking for "amazing" either. But if I can get something that looks like this... http://youtu.be/rmw4NcjHF3U then I will be happy.

I just want to turn on the camera and the audio, go to my chair and sit down and play, then get up and turn the stuff off when I am done. I'll edit out the stuff I don't want and synch tracks up with garageband and iMovie. I'm just looking to send the clips to friends and family.

Thanks guys! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    I like that Canon EOS 5D MkII and how it was used by Laforet on that Reverie video over on SmugMug (where I keep my photos). However, I would like to keep the price tag under $1,000.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    It sounds like you're way overshooting your needs. If you wanna take good video, pretty much anything HD will work. My android phone can take wonderful video given the right lighting. I think a DSLR will be kinda wasted sitting on a tripod like that.

I'm only familiar with Canon cameras, but I guess if I had to recommend one I'd suggest the Canon T2i. It's pretty cheap (as far as DSLRs go) at $500 for the body. You could go even cheaper with the T3 at a $400 body if you don't mind shooting 720p at 30fps.

Even though these cameras are cheap, they're still pretty capable (especially as far as video goes) once you get the hang of them. There's a music video I liked... this was shot on entirely a 60d (which is a slightly higher end camera, but has a comparable sensor to the T3i): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nripy0WzFxk

Hope this helps! And good luck...
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    Alatriste wrote: »
    Take the time? I'm trying to avoid that, which is why I posted. I've got a regular job that keeps me busy, so don't have a lot of research time available. Yes, I'll put the camera on a tripod. I don't want to buy a video camera, but want a DSLR that takes video, that way I can also take still pictures with the DSLR.

Hmmm. If I told you that I am an experienced photographer
    interested in traveling cross-country on a motorcycle to take
    photographs, and wondered what model Vespa to buy, what
    would your reaction be?

If you replied that a Vespa wouldn't be the best choice for
    cross-country travel, and I blew you off saying that I don't
    have time to check out what type of bike would be best
    for the project, what would you think?

For the project you describe, a dedicated video camera with
    an electronic remote (so you can start, pause, and stop without
    going over to the camera) would work best.

Also buying a decent compact camera (a point & shoot) would
    complete your needs. Both can be acquired for less than your
    stated budget. You don't seem to a person that needs a
    more expensive dslr with interchangeable lenses.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    Demian wrote: »
    It sounds like you're way overshooting your needs... but I guess if I had to recommend one I'd suggest the Canon T2i...T3...

I will take a look at both of those. You are correct that I might be overshooting my needs, that's why I came here, but you have at least given me a starting point of where to look.

Thanks for the help Demian.
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Hmmm. If I told you that I am an experienced photographer
    interested in traveling cross-country on a motorcycle to take photographs, and wondered what model Vespa to buy, what would your reaction be?

Hmmm. I would give you some specific information, not just tell you to go dig deeper. So if you were insistent on a Vespa I would recommend you look at the GTV 300 since it can get up to 80 mph. At the same time I would advise you to stay off of Interstate systems and use only back roads if you were adamant in choosing a scooter. I've been all over Mexico and Texas on 250cc bike which only gets up to 85 mph on a good day with a windshield, so I would preface my advice with that experience. Also, when I make my way to the border on the US side, a day's ride, I stay off of Interstates based on my experience. I'd also advise you on maintenance mitigation issues based on the type of bike you choose.
    If you replied that a Vespa wouldn't be the best choice for cross-country travel...
    I wouldn't reply like that without giving you specifics as to why, nor would I simply blow you off by telling you I am an expert and for you to go do some research on your own and then come back to me. I would at least give you a starting point.
    You don't seem to [be] a person that needs a
    more expensive dslr with interchangeable lenses.
    Maybe not. The camera would also be replacing the two older Minolta film SLR cameras that I mentioned in my first post, not just be used for recording.

Thanks for the response Tony.
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    If you want a DSLR for stills and video, I'd suggest the T3i. It's basically a T2i with a flip LCD (so you could see yourself while shooting) and some extra video features - I think it has a mic jack? It's great for stills too.

You might start with the 18-55 kit lens. I'd also add a 50mm f/1.8 II - it's a really good value at $100 or so.

Buying refurb or used equipment can save you money.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    Thanks ThatCanonGuy thumb.gif I will check that model out as well.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 12, 2012
    You might also check out the Panasonic GH2. At least look at this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=213987
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You might also check out the Panasonic GH2. At least look at this thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=213987

Thanks Ziggy. Nice!
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    Didn't get a camera, and after last weekend's exercise, not even sure I want one now for video recording my guitar play.

Here's what I did to learn on the cheap (less than $100) regarding the audio recording of my live play music after talking to others and locking myself in my home office for a couple of days. No camera involved:

1. Bought a Zoom H1 digital audio recorder.
    2. Downloaded some free software called Audacity. It is editing software for .wav files.
    3. Played my guitar into the recorder and then dragged the .wav files to my PC.

To make a long story short, I now realize there is a lot of fraud on the internet. These guys who are making these home videos of their guitar play are cheating on their music tracks. They are cutting/splicing, changing the tempo, using "effects" etc., to make their music sound better than what it really is when they play. In fact much of it isn't even real music. I can even see this on the videos where they are missing notes, etc. but somehow the music magically appears on their sound tracks. Then on some of the guitar forums, guys who are doing this same cheating congratulate their fellow cheaters on what a great job they did on their play. This is bullshit. Just takes me back to why I prefer LIVE music as opposed to the fakery of recorded music. What a downer.
  • Options
    LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    You are my sunshine. My only sunshine
    You make me happy when skies are grey
    You'll never know dear how much I love you
    Please don't take my sunshine away...
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    This is bullshit. Just takes me back to why I prefer LIVE music as opposed to the fakery of recorded music. What a downer.
    Sing it brother thumb.gif "back in the old days" When I first started shooting film, you heard about the dark room "tricks"..but for the most part you had to go out and really practice fundamentals and get creative to get a good shot. Took a long time and buckets of crap pictures to start seeing progress.
    Fast forward to the modern day, I get back into the game only to find out that a lot of people spend as much time in PP software as shooting headscratch.gif.
    A little bit of a downer, but what the hey. I still love it. I remember a interview with Wayne Newton, in which he was asked about the modern day artist that could produce a record with the recording studio tricks but couldn't show up live.
    He said to be truly successful you still had to walk out on the stage with a nothing more than a mike and a smile and let it rip.bowdown.gifbow
    Gary