30 mins of "La Chatre"

NoCardNoCard Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited February 23, 2012 in Street and Documentary
This is a composite of about 8 shots taken from the same spot over a 30minute period.
I kept the woman as the "key frame", she gave good eye contact and seems to hold it all together.
Not really Street/PJ, or is it???
I like to think of it as a video in a single frame.
6192799503_56efc8e450_b.jpg
Critique and comments welcome.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    Sure it's Street / PJ. And very well done at that. It's also a very innovative approach in presentation that I don't remember seeing anyone do before. Quite interesting.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    This is wonderful - I like your style!
    And, now that I have "baguette awareness", I'm pretty sure I see one poking out of a hand basket. :bread
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    That's really quite nice....

Have you given thought to an attempt in a cemetery? Grab a bunch of friends and I'd bet the results would be interesting.

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 12, 2012
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    I don't know what it is but I like it!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • NoCardNoCard Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    Thanks all for the encouraging comments!

If nothing else, it seems I have raised the awareness of the humble baguette.
    Critique and comments welcome.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 12, 2012
    NoCard wrote: »

If nothing else, it seems I have raised the awareness of the humble baguette.

Nothing humble about the baguette in France. If you want humble, try one in Spain. lol3.gif

Cool image. thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2012
    Very well done, extremely creative approaches Nocard

Again nice work... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I like this, it is very original. I like the BW conversion too. I only wish the woman's feet weren't cut off, but I'm being picky.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I am really liking NoCard's images all around.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Very well done...love looking at the ghost images.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    It's definitely NOT PJ, despite what some have said. But it IS very intriguing, and an interesting approach to capturing life on the street. Not sure what precisely it is, but I'd like to see more. I believe what what makes this particular offering work, and would definitely also be needed in others, is a strong primary image - in this case your woman on the right. Very intriguing. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Lovely work, I don't care what it's called :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    I like it. Very cool effect.
    edited February 19, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    It's definitely NOT PJ, despite what some have said. But it IS very intriguing, and an interesting approach to capturing life on the street. Not sure what precisely it is, but I'd like to see more. I believe what what makes this particular offering work, and would definitely also be needed in others, is a strong primary image - in this case your woman on the right. Very intriguing. :-)

Why not...looks to me that he combined several PJ images to make this one...so not PJ. Who says...and why? I understand the photojournalism credo...but, today...we have, at out finger tips, the power to combine into one photo, all the images that used to take up a lot of editorial space.

Unedited...hmm...how much more is this not photojournalism, than using a photo out of context to satisfy an editors slant on a particular political candidate.

Ed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 19, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Why not...looks to me that he combined several PJ images to make this one...so not PJ. Who says...and why?
    It might be acceptable for a feature as an illustration, but I don't think anyone other than the National Enquirer would accept translucent people as fact. Are you serious?
    edited February 19, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    It might be acceptable for a feature as an illustration, but I don't think anyone other than the National Enquirer would accept translucent people as fact. Are you serious?

Well, sort of...if you can look at photojournalism as art...lol.

Ed
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/06/sacbee-photojournalist-fired-after-more-manipulations-discovered/

Old, but pretty relevant to what is being said here.

Objectively, this isn't PJ in anyway. It's wonderful street photography. Street has no rules, other than the presence of humanity, really, and even that can sometimes be ignored. PJ has rules, and for good reason.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »

+1!

Fascinating concoction, Card. To see this kind of thing pushed to the limit, see Cole Thompson's "The Ghosts of Auschwitz-Birkenau": http://www.colethompsonphotography.com/GhostsImages.htm
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 20, 2012
    No matter what its called, its an absolute marvel of creativity! Kudos NoCard!
  • stanpustylnikstanpustylnik Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2012
    Well thought, nicely taken photograph!

I'm too, fascinated by time factor that I was missing during long period of my photography, while stopping time in each shot. It is easy to miss something that lays right under your nose without seeng it.

Can you imagine emount of people, personals, passing through place like this in 1 day or 10 years? Our living space should look like termite's city if turned into timelapse. But is individual and personal from our level.

what is next?
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    I love it!!!! Great job. Thank you for sharing.

Love & Prayers
    Darryl
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Excellent work! The old woman definitely makes a great central theme, especially with the ghosts in the background.