toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited February 14, 2012 in Street and Documentary
RAG0591-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Nicely seen. thumb.gif

Face looks a little shiny-- harsh light, or something else?
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Thanks for the comment Mark

I had to kick up streetlight highlights; shot in dark - looked flat @ iso 6400
    Rags
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Sometimes I think that good "Street" shots are 90% noticing what's in
    front of you and 10% pointing the camera at it. Good noticing.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    How about instead ofjunior achievement the title was child abuse?

Sam
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 14, 2012
    Sam wrote: »

Sam
    How would that change the image?
    edited February 14, 2012

Sam

headscratch.gif He doesn't look abused. headscratch.gif
    edited February 14, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    How would that change the image?

Richard,

The title wouldn't change the image of course but does offer an alternative view / interpretation of what was photographed.

Street photography as well as other photography is at it's best when it invokes some emotion. This image evokes achievement to the photographer. To me not so. To others?

Sam
    edited February 14, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    headscratch.gif He doesn't look abused. headscratch.gif

The abuse (to me) is mental. He is too young to actually have an individual opinion or to understand the sign he is carrying or the meaning of the occupy people.

I could also add child endangerment. The occupy environment is not a safe warm fuzzy place to be.

Sam
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Back to the technical aspects of the image. It looks like it was significantly underexposed and the child's face in shadow before some pushing on the PP. Nothing particularly engaging with the image itself for me. I'd throw it in the back catalogue and chock it up to learning to keep exposure adjusted all the time.
    edited February 14, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    Back to the technical aspects of the image. It looks like it was significantly underexposed and the child's face in shadow before some pushing on the PP. Nothing particularly engaging with the image itself for me. I'd throw it in the back catalogue and chock it up to learning to keep exposure adjusted all the time.
    15524779-Ti.gif It looks forced.
    edited February 14, 2012
    The abuse (to me) is mental. He is too young to actually have an individual opinion or to understand the sign he is carrying or the meaning of the occupy people.

I could also add child endangerment. The occupy environment is not a safe warm fuzzy place to be.

Sam

I had a long and rambling response to this, but it ends up like this: there's nothing in the picture that indicates mental abuse, and the OP didn't indicate in his title that there was mental abuse going on. Therefore that title would be irresponsible to good objective Photojournalism, which the original picture was, IMHO.
    edited February 14, 2012
    This image evokes achievement to the photographer. To me not so. To others?

Sam
    To me, it's just a kid at a demonstration. It neither suggests achievement nor abuse. I just really get impatient when the discussion centers on a thread title rather than the image itself.
    edited February 14, 2012
    Richard,
    Street photography as well as other photography is at it's best when it invokes some emotion. This image evokes achievement to the photographer. To me not so. To others?

Sam

I thought that Junior Achievement title was an ironic reference to the group whose stated goals were to bring "the real world to students through hands-on curriculum ..." :-D
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I thought that Junior Achievement title was an ironic reference to the group whose stated goals were to bring "the real world to students through hands-on curriculum ..." :-D

Yup.

The facts: I noticed this boy earlier in the day marking a wall with chalk (occupy). Thinking he was going spray paint the words, I inquired: are you going to misbehave? He said, Nope just chalk.

He was alone without adult supervision day & night. He acted lawfully while demonstrating (shouting, etc)

the title/chant of the rally was Fu** the Police.

My comment was more than ironic, it was sarcastic.

The comment on child abuse assumes there is some authoritative figure (parent/organizer) forcing the youth to do something harmful to himself. Neither was the case here.

I have seen more "child abuse" at union organized teacher demonstrations than here.

Titles: the title of the forum includes PJ - which includes text - titles are text; live with it.

Don't like the title? fair enough - Don't like the images? fair enough

Thanks for looking everybody and thanks for the comments. One can say an image works if it elicits a response, positive or negative & this one certainly has.
    Rags