Options

Annular Solar Eclipse

MeadowlarkMeadowlark Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 23, 2012 in The Big Picture
There will be an annular (not total) solar eclipse in the western US on May 20. An annular eclipse is where the moon will center on the sun, but the moon is too far from earth at that time to totally obscure the sun. Albuquerque will be one of the areas in the eclipse path, and the eclipse in Albuquerque will be in the late afternoon just before sunset. This might offer a unique photo op for a sunset with / without good foreground or distant elements. Also, an eclipse of this kind will throw circular shadows through a small opening (e.g. leaves of a tree) and some unusual shots might be made of that too. All that said, can anyone offer up some ideas and locations around Albuquerque that would be good to check out? I live in Texas and I've never been to Albuquerque, but I will plan to be there on May 20.

Comments

• Options
    illuminationillumination Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Aww...I live on the East Coast so I won't be able to see it :cry Oh well, maybe next time. On another astrological event occurring this year on or around June 5th is the transit of Venus, this only happens twice every 125 years, the second one to occur this year. Depending on where you are you will see Venus cross the face of the sun as it is setting (or rising, depending again where on Earth you are) Look HERE for more details including safety tips and times for individual locations.