Options

Capture One?

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited February 27, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Anyone here use Capture One? I've been a satisfied Aperture user for some time. I've looked a little into Lightroom and don't want to make that jump. Capture One v6 was recently released and it has a few features that intrigue me and that I'm pretty sure I'd make use of.

I see it used by a lot of the MF folks and some dSLR folks but not much mention of it here on DGrin.

Thoughts on the package?

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    I know that C1 is very popular among studio shooters, especially for its tethering, skin tone rendition, etc.
    For non-studio shooters, I'd be interested in knowing what features it has that are compelling. (Or are you buying a MF camera?!)

I did find an interesting raw converter comparison (slightly dated) here: http://www.twin-pixels.com/raw-processors-review-aperture-bibble-capture-one-dxo-lightroom/
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    I've thought about a move to MF, but I'm going to hold off on that for a while. A couple of the features in C1 that attracted me are the Keystone adjustments and what seems like a decent quality slideshow authoring capability. I know that PS has keystone and perspective adjustments but again, I'd rather not exit my RAW editor or otherwise roundtrip images unless I'm specifically doing a drawing manipulation.

I don't know, but it also seems that the package has that little bit more capability and sensitivity than either LR or AP. I'll probably download a trial version soon and give it a whirl. Still interested in hearing other's thoughts.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I've thought about a move to MF, but I'm going to hold off on that for a while. A couple of the features in C1 that attracted me are the Keystone adjustments and what seems like a decent quality slideshow authoring capability. I know that PS has keystone and perspective adjustments but again, I'd rather not exit my RAW editor or otherwise roundtrip images unless I'm specifically doing a drawing manipulation.

I don't know, but it also seems that the package has that little bit more capability and sensitivity than either LR or AP. I'll probably download a trial version soon and give it a whirl. Still interested in hearing other's thoughts.

The king of keystone correction is probably dxo. I took it for a whirl, but didn't find it compelling enough against LR3, let alone LR4.

LR also has manual perspective correction, but it is a little kludgy, as it is slider based.*

*similar to PTLens, which for $25, is a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    ReeRayReeRay Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2012

I've been using C1 Pro as my primary RAW developer for some years now and swear by it. Tried repeatedly ACR and LR but C1 outshines them all. Keystone is great, light fall off recovery almost unique and the colour management tools are superb. Conversely, I prefer Iridient RAW for skin tones and highlight recovery facility.

I do believe we need more than one RAW developer and highly recommend the above.

Currently shooting 5DMK2, Panasonic GX1.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    ReeRay wrote: »
    I've been using C1 Pro as my primary RAW developer for some years now and swear by it. Tried repeatedly ACR and LR but C1 outshines them all. Keystone is great, light fall off recovery almost unique and the colour management tools are superb. Conversely, I prefer Iridient RAW for skin tones and highlight recovery facility.

I do believe we need more than one RAW developer and highly recommend the above.

Currently shooting 5DMK2, Panasonic GX1.

Anyone mind discussing the Keystone feature? I'm not familiar with this term. What exactly does it do? Thanks for any help that you can give me.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    I don't have C1, but my guess is that it is refering to an image transform or warping you can use to correct converging vertical lines, like you get if you take a picture of a building but point your camera upwards a bit so you can include both the top and the bottom of the building.

Lightroom doesn't have a tool tool like this (I don't think) but photoshop does.

You can get around this problem on the camera itself by using a tilt/shift lens or with swings and tilts on a big view camera. But photoshop gives a way to do the correction in post processing when an ordinary lens is used.
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Anyone mind discussing the Keystone feature? I'm not familiar with this term. What exactly does it do? Thanks for any help that you can give me.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I don't have C1, but my guess is that it is refering to an image transform or warping you can use to correct converging vertical lines, like you get if you take a picture of a building but point your camera upwards a bit so you can include both the top and the bottom of the building.

Lightroom doesn't have a tool tool like this (I don't think) but photoshop does.

You can get around this problem on the camera itself by using a tilt/shift lens or with swings and tilts on a big view camera. But photoshop gives a way to do the correction in post processing when an ordinary lens is used.

Lightroom 3 and 4 both have this feature. It's under the Lens Correction Manual tab in the Develop Module. It is somewhat inelegant as it is based on sliders (vertical, horizontal, rotate).

DXO also has this feature. BibbleLabs/Corel Aftershot has a plugin that does this.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    Right, thanks, I forgot about that.... inelegant is the operative word there though:D
    MarkR wrote: »
    Lightroom 3 and 4 both have this feature. It's under the Lens Correction Manual tab in the Develop Module. It is somewhat inelegant as it is based on sliders (vertical, horizontal, rotate).
    QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »

The keystone objective is perspective correction. Correcting either/or converging vertical and misaligned horizons. Where it scores over Lightroom and other corrective tools is it's ability to crop OUTSIDE of the frame. You can also use ASPECT within this tool which allows further adjustments to the image shape. i.e. elongate or otherwise.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    The keystone objective is perspective correction. Correcting either/or converging vertical and misaligned horizons. Where it scores over Lightroom and other corrective tools is it's ability to crop OUTSIDE of the frame. You can also use ASPECT within this tool which allows further adjustments to the image shape. i.e. elongate or otherwise.

headscratch.gif
    What do you mean by "crop outside the frame?" Is it related to the scale slider in LR's Lens Correction module? I'm genuinely curious.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    headscratch.gif
    What do you mean by "crop outside the frame?" Is it related to the scale slider in LR's Lens Correction module? I'm genuinely curious.

See here for all their tutorials: http://blog.phaseone.com/category/capture-one-tips-tricks/page/3/

Lots of other "tips and tricks" available by scrolling around

Hope this helps
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2012
    See here for all their tutorials: http://blog.phaseone.com/category/capture-one-tips-tricks/page/3/

Lots of other "tips and tricks" available by scrolling around

Hope this helps

Ok-- so "crop outside the image" is the same as unchecking "constrain crop," and maybe moving the size slider, in LR3, as near as I can figure.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    Just wanted to drop back in. I haven't made the decision on whether to go for C1 yet (missed the half price deal, not even sure it was available in AU) but I might in the near future depending on a few changes in circumstances.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    Just wanted to drop back in. I haven't made the decision on whether to go for C1 yet (missed the half price deal, not even sure it was available in AU) but I might in the near future depending on a few changes in circumstances.

I suspect you'll do well with whatever product you choose. :D