Raptor ID please

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited February 21, 2012 in Wildlife
We went out looking for snowy owls again yesterday. Came across 3 individuals but no shots as good as last week. Along the way we found 4 of these guys, and a photographer that I chatted with in a different location reported he had seen 3 more. The only raptors that 'might' be here at this time of year are gyrfalcons and northern goshawks, and I don't think that is what there guys are. I don't have great shots, but the underwing is super unique so a real birder should be able to tell what they are! They are big - I'd say much bigger than a Swainsons.

IMG9442-L.jpg

IMG9457-L.jpg

IMG9488-L.jpg

IMG9504-L.jpg

And Snowy on a stick:

IMG9614-L.jpg

Later, on a bit of a hike in the woods, we found this owl:

IMG9698-L.jpg

I love that the chickadee shared the branch with him. I'm wishing it were a long eared owl but I think it's a great horned. :dunno

Overall it was a fabulous winter day here in Alberta!

Comments

• Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Ann,

I believe it's a juvenile rough legged hawk.

Bud
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2012
    Bud1880 wrote: »
    Ann,

I believe it's a juvenile rough legged hawk.

Bud

Thanks Bud, it does indeed look like a rough legged hawk. They are NOT a common sight here. Since there was a small group of them, I'm wondering if they have started a northward migration super early? Interesting!!

ann
  • novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Very nice, I have a hard time getting good bird shots. You might have some chromal aboration on the last owl image, I see slight pink halos on the smaller limbs. mainly above him.
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Rough legged for sure, I hope they are coming up my way soon. That's great to get a chickadee with the GHO. "snowy on a stick" That cracked me up!!!
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Hey Deb, you may be interested in the info here

I'd completely overlooked rough legged hawk, due to the status as rare in southern Alberta according to the Birds of Alberta book that I use. It's so cool to have seen them!!

Good luck birding!

ann
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2012
    Thanks Ann, I check out that site about once a month. I believe you are right, the rough legged is not a "common' hawk as I only see a few a year as opposed to the thousands of other species. I have been taking shots of a hawk owl these past few weeks and this is my 1st time photographing this species. Take care, spring is almost here Yaaaaaa!!!!!
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com