Dumb APS-c vs FF question

2»

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Compression
    As long as we're thread-jacking...

These shots are from a little test I did a while ago. Same camera to subject distance. Notice the identical compression:

5DII at 135mm, f/5.6:
    5DII_news_56_60_small.JPG

7D at 85mm, f/3.5:
    7D_news_85_small.JPG

I too would have thought that longer focal length from the same subject distance would create more compression, but nope!

You can convince yourself by using live view and duplicating that neat trick they do on TV when a character makes an "oh shit" realization, and the background falls away behind them. The camera person walks or rolls towards the subject while simultaneously zooming out.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Jack-
    Very interesting comparison.
    Guess it's true you really do get at least 1 stop more/less DOF with FF vs APS-C
    Also, is it just my imagination or are the colors a bit deeper and the dynamic range a touch better on the 5D? It may be down to exposure/processing but the paper looks close to the edge of highlights on the 7D.
    I can't even fathom what f/1.4 looks like on the FF camera
    Here's to waiting to see what Canon offers as upgrades for the two models...
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Jack-
    Very interesting comparison.
    Guess it's true you really do get at least 1 stop more/less DOF with FF vs APS-C

Right, the DOF difference is 1.33 stops.

Here is that scene again at the same aperture, f/3.5:

5DII:
    5DII_news_35_160_small.JPG
    7D:
    7D_news_85_small.JPG

I don't think it's as big a deal as a lot of people make it.
    Also, is it just my imagination or are the colors a bit deeper and the dynamic range a touch better on the 5D? It may be down to exposure/processing but the paper looks close to the edge of highlights on the 7D.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't worry about that too much. I just shoot my 7D for sports/action, and my 5DII for everything else (including some impromptu sports/action) One thing I do notice right away if I compare two test shots is that the 7D is a little warmer. Actually the 5DII meter seems to be a little more conservative than the 7D's.
    I can't even fathom what f/1.4 looks like on the FF camera

That, my friend, is a match made in heaven. 35mm, f/1.4:

camp11035-XL.jpg

camp11032-XL.jpg

camp11037-XL.jpg

camp11020a-XL.jpg

IMG0894-XL.jpg

IMG0945-XL.jpg

IMG0954-XL.jpg

IMG7792-XL.jpg

IMG8263-XL.jpg
    Here's to waiting to see what Canon offers as upgrades for the two models...

I'm thinking the upgrade to the 5DII is going to be undeniable. Whatever they call it, the rumors are making it look like the mythical 3D may finally land.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    You just had to go there didn't you?!?!

Now I really, really want the 5D. Screw the $6000!

Those are really nice shots by the way. I can get close to that 3-D effect of the pier with my 70-200 lens and treasure it for that reason. You put up some damn good reasons to jump to full frame.
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    The compression thing is a bit tricky. Below are three shots taken, from top to bottom, at 70mm, 135mm, and 200mm. The difference here is that the distance from the camera to the foreground subject is altered to keep the subject the same size. Notice, though, that the barn in the background seems to move closer.

Now of course one could move back and crop to achieve the same thing. The only advantage of a telephoto is that the image is better than the equivalent crop.
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    For me, the 7D was also the speed and reach camera and the 5D2 for everything else. Before I knew what was happening, my wife took up photography and I now find myself with the 7D as my wife takes the 5D2 99% of the time. Now, who has a better excuse to buy a new camera body? thumb.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    You just had to go there didn't you?!?!

Now I really, really want the 5D. Screw the $6000!

Those are really nice shots by the way. I can get close to that 3-D effect of the pier with my 70-200 lens and treasure it for that reason. You put up some damn good reasons to jump to full frame.

Haha, thanks. Yeah if you want to shoot fast primes wider than normal (<50mm FF), Full Frame is the only way for now.

Another advantage of FF is that for a given composition, you are either going to be using a longer focal length, or you will be closer to your subject. Both are usually better for resolution.
    -Jack