seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited February 15, 2012 in Street and Documentary
hyde_tom_davenzero_004.jpg
Dave and Zero | Westport, WA | January 25, 2012

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    Looks like that dog needs to get off and run. Over weight! :D

Fun shot, even so. thumb.gif Dave is certainly getting His exercise! rolleyes1.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    The processing is pretty darned impeccable. I'd suspect that this would work nicely as a larger print. Not sure if it's really possible to appreciate it off paper.
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    The processing is pretty darned impeccable. I'd suspect that this would work nicely as a larger print. Not sure if it's really possible to appreciate it off paper.

I suspect you're right. Looking forward to making a large print. BTW, I did not add the vignette or do much to this in PS, this was shot wide open on a full frame camera with a 50mm.
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I would have liked to see it tighter. My attention went straight to the dog... the rest of the shot adds context (which is great), but I think the wide angle ultimately obfuscates the subject too much.

Awesome shot though :)
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    I would have liked to see it tighter. My attention went straight to the dog... the rest of the shot adds context (which is great), but I think the wide angle ultimately obfuscates the subject too much.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and I go back and forth on this myself but I do like negative space. I shot a little series and the one posted above seemed the best of the lot. Not sure why, just had a certain quality it seemed, a bit cinematic maybe and not as "cute" or "sentimental" as the others. Still mulling it over.

A few of the others ... and no, I didn't have it on auto drive :)) ...

hyde_tom_davenzero_001.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_002.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_003.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_006.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_007.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_008.jpg

hyde_tom_davenzero_0010.jpg
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2012
    The whole set is pretty good, but I'm tied between the 2nd picture (where he's looking at the dog) and the second to last (closeup on the dog).

The B&W rendition is pretty good, and I especially love the shots with the man against the sky, w/ his dark clothes against the lighter sky and the light dog against the darker pavement.

Cool stuff :)
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    being on two most times, I enjoy #4, he's got his lean angle down :D
  • frostybrocfrostybroc Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2012
    Nice shots.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    The additional ones are amusing, but the first is quite wonderful. I would do a bit more Photoshop work to make the bike rider and dog stand out, but as Jen noted, this really needs to be a big print. I understand the comment about cropping - it was my first thought as well - but the more I look at it, the more I believe it absolutely should remain what it is, which is an evocative scene, of which bike rider and skateboarding dog are an important part. Of the extras, I'd pick the fourth from the bottom, where both rider and dog are leaning to their right, into a turn.

VERY nice work!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    1 is very very good. You should have posted the others first and then said, "Oh, btw, here is this hero shot."

Well done.