Options

Thread DSS #96 Vanishing Points - 2nd try

JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Another try ... Not sure of titles yet. C&C.. suggestions?

1-
i-QNwwSVK-XL.jpg

2-
i-HNdBnwz-XL.jpg

3- (multiple vanishing points)
i-VZLGtLZ-X2.jpg
Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    Could use some C&C.. thanks
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I really like #1!

I like the fact you have the main vanishing point but also the more subtle ones.
    I think the perspective is perfect.
    I might try adding a little contrast to make it pop a bit, but other than that I really like it!! thumb.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    #1. clap.gif Really sweet perspective! Well seen!

You might play with it from slightly different angles. Truly centered or more off to the side. You might play with DOF and focus on the FG with the BG OOF.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    CHANDLERJA wrote: »
    I really like #1!

I like the fact you have the main vanishing point but also the more subtle ones.
    I think the perspective is perfect.
    I might try adding a little contrast to make it pop a bit, but other than that I really like it!! thumb.gif
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    #1. clap.gif Really sweet perspective! Well seen!

You might play with it from slightly different angles. Truly centered or more off to the side. You might play with DOF and focus on the FG with the BG OOF.

Thanks!

Here's a 2nd edit of #1 ... Better?

i-JwRhGHj-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    #1, excellent!
    Personally, I prefer your first version to the edited one simply because the colors are much better for me.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    #1, excellent!
    Personally, I prefer your first version to the edited one simply because the colors are much better for me.

I had an idea to add a little something extra to this image. I have this little toy car of my granddaughters and took different angle shots of it. Do either of these work? :D I wanted to tell a story... granddaughter was here! :D She loves to play cars on anything that looks like a road. Make sense?

1b-
    i-ZT5ZG6h-XL.jpg

1c-

i-pgmb493-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Jenn - I really like the second edit of #1 - without the toy. It's clean and simple. The idea is to lead the eye away toward the end and the toy keeps me focused on the front. Nice job - maybe a little more dof?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Vanishing point doesn't mean to focus on the 'vanishing point' but merely an image that contains lines creating a vanishing point whether connecting at the end or not. In most cases, images are bland without the attention of a subject. In the entry gallery, the sunset photo "First Light" is spectacular. Eye focused on the sunset and not the end of the beach a mile away. The entry "Golden Arches" does not focus on the people at the end, but the architecture and textures which are equally complimenting.

My favorite would be 1b, a FUN image with a focus point and contrasting colors that compliment each other.

Troy
  • Options
    SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    I like the first version of #1 the best!
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Jenn - I really like the second edit of #1 - without the toy. It's clean and simple. The idea is to lead the eye away toward the end and the toy keeps me focused on the front. Nice job - maybe a little more dof?
    Vanishing point doesn't mean to focus on the 'vanishing point' but merely an image that contains lines creating a vanishing point whether connecting at the end or not. In most cases, images are bland without the attention of a subject. In the entry gallery, the sunset photo "First Light" is spectacular. Eye focused on the sunset and not the end of the beach a mile away. The entry "Golden Arches" does not focus on the people at the end, but the architecture and textures which are equally complimenting.

My favorite would be 1b, a FUN image with a focus point and contrasting colors that compliment each other.

Troy
    SAMBALAM wrote: »
    I like the first version of #1 the best!

Thanks for all the comments! It helps a lot. I think I am favoring 1b myself. I keep looking at it and really like the toy car there. I'll think on it some more before I enter something, tho. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    ditto on 1b
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    ditto on 1b

Thanks Greg! I think I'm going to go with 1b for my entry. I can't think of anything else better that I have currently that would work better. :) I hope everyone likes it! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Jenn,
    I like 1b also, but while looking at it I felt that something was amiss and couldn't put my finger on it. Then it dawned on me. This is obviously a composite of two photos and while you remembered to include the shadow of the toy you forgot its reflection in the tile. I think that it might be worth a complete reshoot if possible. Other wise you'll need to photoshop it in the way you did with the toy. If you go this route be sure to fade it out enough to be similar to the reflected tile from the back wall. Sorry for the negative comment but once I noticed this it is all that my mind and eye can focus on. If you do rework this I also liked the more intense blue as opposed to the lighter shade of blue in the 2nd edit. Overall this is a great concept and a good composition. I hope that you will tweak it and really make this one one of your best yet. Good luck.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2012
    KevXman wrote: »
    Jenn,
    I like 1b also, but while looking at it I felt that something was amiss and couldn't put my finger on it. Then it dawned on me. This is obviously a composite of two photos and while you remembered to include the shadow of the toy you forgot its reflection in the tile. I think that it might be worth a complete reshoot if possible. Other wise you'll need to photoshop it in the way you did with the toy. If you go this route be sure to fade it out enough to be similar to the reflected tile from the back wall. Sorry for the negative comment but once I noticed this it is all that my mind and eye can focus on. If you do rework this I also liked the more intense blue as opposed to the lighter shade of blue in the 2nd edit. Overall this is a great concept and a good composition. I hope that you will tweak it and really make this one one of your best yet. Good luck.
    — Kevin

I'll be darn... you're absolutely right ... I forgot the reflection. How's this:

i-BKx74nL-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    I agree with Troy's description of vanishing point and I like this new version of 1b with shadow added per KevXman's suggestion. GP
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I'll be darn... you're absolutely right ... I forgot the reflection. How's this:

i-BKx74nL-XL.jpg

More believable now Jenn. thumb.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2012
    KevXman wrote: »
    More believable now Jenn. thumb.gif

Thanks for the heads up! :D It's the most fun I've had with a challenge entry, I do believe! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like the evolution to the car. Before the car version, I was going to suggest that you crop out all of that negative space on the left and bottom. The car puts it good use.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Very good work Jenn and even greater with the addition of the reflection thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I like the evolution to the car. Before the car version, I was going to suggest that you crop out all of that negative space on the left and bottom. The car puts it good use.

Chris
    Very good work Jenn and even greater with the addition of the reflection thumb.gif

Thanks ladies! :D I really debated on adding the little car, but after I did I got attached to it being there. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    sorry, I dropped off the face of the earth all week. Super busy!
    I agree with everyone else. I like 1b... Love that the reflection was noticed and fixed.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    dnie wrote: »
    sorry, I dropped off the face of the earth all week. Super busy!
    I agree with everyone else. I like 1b... Love that the reflection was noticed and fixed.

thanks! Donna :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited February 20, 2012
    Good entry! The addition of the car (and its reflection) is a nice touch, IMO.
  • Options
    PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    My vote is #1. Wonderful composition. Wonderful all the way around.thumb.gif
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    PappyRoot wrote: »
    My vote is #1. Wonderful composition. Wonderful all the way around.thumb.gif

Thanks! :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Very nice and cute picture
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Memol wrote: »