Options

How many photos in your sets? (viewer fatigue)

skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited February 16, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello

I have various sets by location visited, for instance Italy, with a subset for Venice, subset for Lake Como, etc. France, with a Paris subset, Normandy, and so on.

I'm worried about viewer fatigue. I want people to want more when they click, and possibly buy something. Wouldn't that be nice, a sale!

What is the max amount of photos you will allow into a set? EG the viewer finds your site, sees Italy, likes Venice, checks out my Venice set... and then sees (for instance) 50 photos. Is that way too much, even if all 50 are good photos? Is that about right? Is your rule of thumb if they cannot see all thumbnails on one page, it's too many?

The tough part is that what "I" like and try to highlight might not be what others like, which means something I think won't sell might actually do well. Do you break things down into even more granular subsets so that the total amount is smaller and not overwhelming?

I guess I am asking: other than the obvious (take great photos), how do you keep eyes on your page?

And is part of "taking great photos" knowing how well to edit down the images you show?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    BlakerBlaker Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012

I guess I am asking: other than the obvious (take great photos), how do you keep eyes on your page?

And is part of "taking great photos" knowing how well to edit down the images you show?

Thanks.

Yes, editing is what it's all about, and you need to be ruthless as you edit.
    It can be difficult to edit your own photos, because it's often hard to separate the actual photo from what you were experiencing as you shot it.
    Sometimes it helps to find an objective fellow photographer, (not a friend or family member who thinks everything you shoot is wonderful) to go through your photos and pull out the ones that are saleable.

In looking through your galleries, there are some gorgeous shots. There are also a lot of 'snapshots' or 'vacation shots' that likely have value only to you.

I also noticed a lot of redundancy- photos that are nearly identical.

Having too many similar versions of the same shot can be overwhelming to the viewer and detrimental to you. The viewer will tend to just skip over the gallery, not really looking at each specific shot.
    For example, the sunflower gallery- this can easily be whittled down to less than 5 really good shots.

Perhaps you could make up one gallery of your 'fine art for sale' photos, with just the very best one or two photos from each gallery, and have it set up clearly as photos for sale, with prices, sizes, etc.

As people go through your galleries, there is no way of really seeing that these are photos for sale.

Good luck and happy travels! So jealous of all the places you've been!
  • Options
    skywalkerbethskywalkerbeth Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Thanks Blaker! I know, I really do have to edit more. What you see here is much less than flickr, but I think I need to pare it down even more.

If I can at least get rid of the redundancy I'll be in better shape. It's tough, snaps are like children!

Good point about not seeing they are for sale. I will have to include that in each "folder".