Options

Pronghorn don't jump

austinjamesaustinjames Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited February 20, 2012 in Wildlife
I watched a group of about 30 pronghorn cross under this fence near Walsenburg Colorado, I later learned pronghorn don't jump fences which is one of the reasons their habitat is threatened and need wide open spaces. They obviously are learning to adapt here...fun to watch them line up and go under
IMG2703-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Thanks for sharing this photo, Austin. They look like they could sail over the fence like gazelles--or deer. There's a program on the Carrizo Plain (here in California) to raise the lowest strand of barbed wire so the pronghorns can more easily crawl under without letting the cattle through. Is the criss-crossed fence in your photo for sheep? This kind of fence makes it even harder for the pronghorns--I'm surprised they can get through at all. --- John
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2012
    There was a bit of a low spot (ravine) where they were crossing...it was a pretty well traveled path you could tell. I have never seen sheep in that area so I am not sure why that kind of fence...only very few cattle.
    IMG2730-L.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 15, 2012
    That is why you generally do not see pronghorns in farmed areas with fenced fields, like Kansas or Oklahoma. Pronghorns are not deer, but more like a goat, and goats don't jump.

I have photographed pronghorns in Kansas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, and the Dakotas, but they get very rare as fences go up as you head east. They really prefer/need open spaces.

"Pronghorn- A Portrait of the American Antelope" by Gary Turbak, with photos by Alan and Sandy Carey is a lovely book about pronghorns, with interesting details. For example, pronghorn eyes are larger than the eyes of a horse or an ox, even though the pronghorn is much less than 1/4 the weight of a horse.

I always have a good day when I can see them running free as I drive along.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    WyomingBobWyomingBob Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Hi Austin, Nice photo's. While antelope don't like to jump fences if you spend enough time watching you will see them jump. I posted a few pictures of jumping wildlife on another post.
    Bob
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Thanks Bob for the info...found you post and you are indeed right; I guess some Pronghorn do jump : )