PENELOPE0211120187-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    1st and last got and hold my attention.

However the series in whole is....... what I would expect from you mwink.gif

Nicely done and delivered.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 15, 2012
    The last one might be a sign of the times in that the focus and exposure are on the iPad, not the kid. lol3.gif The first one is priceless. clap.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Precisely why I shot that one that way, Richard. And thanks, Ben. Of course my favorites - by far - are three and the last one. And of those two, three is IT. (The Mom and I just ordered 20x30, foam-board mounted, honest-to-God silver prints of that one. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Cute kid, and nice family snapshots, BD.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Last one has some well composed subject matter, #3 has a good documentary feel to it. Thanks for posting, B.D.!
    edited February 16, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Cute kid, and nice family snapshots, BD.

Show me the family with "snapshots" like those images, Russ, and I'll accept your comment at face value.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Really nice set, BD. That third shot is worthy of the treatment you guys are giving it. Like all good works, the passion you have for this occurrence comes through loud and clear. And that's not always an easy effect to drag through the lens and camera and onto a print.

Well done.clap.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    I like 1, 3, 5, & 7. Odd, isn't it? ne_nau.gif

I always like perusing your shots to see how you compose around the main subject.

Who is Penelope?
    edited February 16, 2012
    Thanks Rainbow - and Tom. Penelope is a co-worker's baby. I was asked to shoot the Christening. So I took some family snaps. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 16, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Show me the family with "snapshots" like those images, Russ, and I'll accept your comment at face value.

That, of course, would be impossible, BD; not because there aren't any family snapshots as good as these, but because I wouldn't put someone else's family snapshots on the web. But actually, my comment ran to the continuing taxonomy problem. How would you classify these shots: street or pj?
    edited February 16, 2012
    That, of course, would be impossible, BD; not because there aren't any family snapshots as good as these, but because I wouldn't put someone else's family snapshots on the web. But actually, my comment ran to the continuing taxonomy problem. How would you classify these shots: street or pj?
    They're documentary shots. Which are welcome here.
    edited February 17, 2012

Well I see Richard said it for me, but, quite clearly, they are documentary - and shot in the same way I would shoot street or pj.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited February 17, 2012
    Well, I don't really want to get back into the taxonomy argument, but what you're saying is that if a shot is "documentary" and "shot in the same way" as street or pj, it's welcome here. On the other hand, when I posted some birds that were documentary and shot in the same way I'd shoot street or pj, Richard decided they weren't welcome here. Which is it?
    edited February 17, 2012
    Russ, the only one here with a taxonomy problem is you. Your birdie post belonged in the Wildlife forum, so I moved it there. The only reason you posted it here was to be provocative, and you and everyone else who saw it know that perfectly well.

This forum is home to street, documentary, PJ and miscellaneous candid photography. The forum title doesn't say that, but that's what it's about. You may have been confused in the beginning, but you have been here long enough to get it by now. The Daily Show is only on four days a week, but somehow its fans don't get bent out of shape over the name.

These taxonomy discussions are boring as hell and are a distraction for almost everyone here except you. They're over, Russ. Deal with it and move on.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Well, I don't really want to get back into the taxonomy argument, but what you're saying is that if a shot is "documentary" and "shot in the same way" as street or pj, it's welcome here. On the other hand, when I posted some birds that were documentary and shot in the same way I'd shoot street or pj, Richard decided they weren't welcome here. Which is it?

We call 'em as we see 'em, Russ.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 18, 2012
    Exactly, David. So do I.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    There are a few earthquake shots in this set. I'm indifferent on a few of the set and the good ones are, well, expected. Forgive me for getting contractual. Do you specifically include rights to post commissioned stuff on the internet in your contracts?
    edited February 19, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    There are a few earthquake shots in this set. I'm indifferent on a few of the set and the good ones are, well, expected. Forgive me for getting contractual. Do you specifically include rights to post commissioned stuff on the internet in your contracts?

What contract? In most cases I work on a conversation and a handshake.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com