Options

Canon 60D

mmiller6300mmiller6300 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited March 3, 2012 in Cameras
Hello
I am going to be upgrading to a new camera and I am considering a Canon 60D. Can anyone give me any pros or cons about this camera, and if you have one, do you like it? Would you recommend it? Currently I have a Rebel XTi, and I would be shooting mostly portrait work.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,918 moderator
    edited February 15, 2012
    The Canon 60D has a very similar sensor to the Canon 7D. The primary difference is fewer readout channels, which means a bit slower throughput. Image quality of the 60D should be very similar to the 7D, which is to say very good indeed.

The primary deficiency of the 60D for portraiture is the lack of a PC port. The 60D only has a hot shoe to trigger and external flash. Fortunately the 60D also has the ability to act as a commander/controller in a wireless flash scenario, which makes it more versatile than otherwise. There are also third-party devices to add a PC port as needed.

Couple the 60D with a few appropriate lenses and a few flashes and flash modifiers and you should be good to go for portraiture. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Hello
    I am going to be upgrading to a new camera and I am considering a Canon 60D. Can anyone give me any pros or cons about this camera, and if you have one, do you like it? Would you recommend it? Currently I have a Rebel XTi, and I would be shooting mostly portrait work.
    Thanks!

the 60D is a good upgrade but portrait work is more about lighting
    http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/01/lab-test-canon-60d
  • Options
    cadredcadred Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    It's a great camera. The main thing it's lacking from the 7D is a more advanced autofocus, however it will still be a major upgrade from an XTi.
  • Options
    mmiller6300mmiller6300 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2012
    I ordered the 60D, and it finally arrived. Seems to be good, all except it seems to be VERY loud and noisy. (I mean volume noise, not ISO noise) When I take a photo the sound isnt a soft click, but rather a loud distracting noise. Has anyone noticed this on their 60D? Is this common to this camera?
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I ordered the 60D, and it finally arrived. Seems to be good, all except it seems to be VERY loud and noisy. (I mean volume noise, not ISO noise) When I take a photo the sound isnt a soft click, but rather a loud distracting noise. Has anyone noticed this on their 60D? Is this common to this camera?

I haven't noticed mine as being too loud - however there are two modes of silent shooting available in the menu - try those if you haven't already. I keep mine on mode 2. Good luck and congrats on the new camera!
    Eric ~ Smugmug