Osprey Jump

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited February 20, 2012 in Street and Documentary
This is the MV-22 Osprey. And there are some people very excited to jump out of it.

6883501153_0d4c0cd25d_b.jpg

6883503001_3351b8342f_b.jpg

6883499971_58b9881bd2_b.jpg

6883499621_b4b3f2bf86_z.jpg

6883500843_9a900b994f_z.jpg

6883503499_cc81d0bf3e_b.jpg

6883504013_1b4e229aee_b.jpg

6883504349_291d05de1f_b.jpg

6883504713_d373e02d03_b.jpg

6883504997_2fd8593205_b.jpg

6883505319_683659a4c1_b.jpg

6883502667_0f57ba0206_b.jpg

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Awesome. Great aircraft, great people, incredible captures. #1 and #11 are my faves.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    #10 is awesome. Did you jump out with them?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,885 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    #10 and #12 are fantastic!
  • NmahoochNmahooch Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    #3 and #12 are my favs. all are good- nice set
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Thank you all! Haha, I don't think I've had this much response on this forum in such a short period of time...ever! hahaha.

I am not a qualified skydiver, and I was there in an "official" capacity, so I didn't get to jump at all unfortunately. The photography was just a side thing...luckily, in my line of work, sometimes all you have to say is "Sir, do you mind if I go up in the Osprey for this pass," and it works.

I have, however, been wondering how one goes about photographing the aftermath of jumping out of a plane. I would imagine it is incredibly difficult.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
    Very exciting series! Did you have a safety device on when you made these images ?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    enjoy these and especially like #10 and the last one thumb.gif
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I have, however, been wondering how one goes about photographing the aftermath of jumping out of a plane. I would imagine it is incredibly difficult.

I've worked with someone who has done it. He built a helmet with a strong camera mount attached to the top. The camera also has a safety cable, just in case. Then he had a wired shutter release cable to trigger the camera. Finally, he gaffed everything down so if something came undone it would not pose a safety risk. He said you compose by best guess. The more you do it, the better you get. You kind of learn what angle to point your head to get the shot. Oh, and don't forget to open your chute before you hit the ground. No chimping until you're safe! :D
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited February 16, 2012
    Wow! Excellent work, Quincy. clap.gifclap.gif
    edited February 16, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Very exciting series! Did you have a safety device on when you made these images ?

Yes. The Osprey's speed makes it pretty much necessary at all times, unless you're so used to it you want to jump out, hahaha
    Richard wrote: »
    Wow! Excellent work, Quincy.

Thanks bud!
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Nice series, and I'm a tad bit envious of the shooting opportunity. I take it there were several hops done and you on the ground for a few of the other shots?

When you shot 9/10/11, did your light meter go crazy going from dark to bright sunshine? Or did you figure out the exposure of the bright and shoot it all for that?

I've got to go with 7 and 10 as my favorites. Seven for that "simply bad-ass what we do" and 10 for the framing of the guys grin in the middle of the two beyond their point of no-return.

• NoCardNoCard Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    #7 is the one for me, I can hear "Ride of the Valkyries" ringing in my ears, great series!
    Critique and comments welcome.
    edited February 16, 2012
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Nice series, and I'm a tad bit envious of the shooting opportunity. I take it there were several hops done and you on the ground for a few of the other shots?

When you shot 9/10/11, did your light meter go crazy going from dark to bright sunshine? Or did you figure out the exposure of the bright and shoot it all for that?

I've got to go with 7 and 10 as my favorites. Seven for that "simply bad-ass what we do" and 10 for the framing of the guys grin in the middle of the two beyond their point of no-return.

The lighting was a real challenge, M3. However, I knew my plan going into it. I went into Manual immediately after boarding the plane, and actually, for the first time, utilized the Custom Setting feature of my 7D, so I had everything in place the moment I turned the selector to C1. When I shot the images looking out of the plane, I basically underexposed until I was only a stop or so overexposed for the outside. I felt this provided enough light to make the interior portion of the image dramatic and interesting, but gave me enough room to bring the earth back in Lightroom. My plan worked pretty well, so when I got the images into LR, I basically made adjustments to the exterior with an exposure mask so that the earth was there again. This is probably most evident in the black and white shots that capture the exit from the plane. I dodged moderately on the divers, and then reduced exposure by about 4/5 a stop on the ground below...just enough to give it context.

In some shots, I felt it was pointless to bring in the outside...i.e. the one where the crew member is looking out into the sky. It would've been nice to see a pretty blue out there, but I was more concerned with the crew member (I'd give the image a number, but I'm at work, and I can't load any of my images to connect them with my number labels). Some images were just "no-gos" and there were a couple I was very disappointed I couldn't determine the right exposure for quickly enough, but that's alright. I like my results.

If that wall of text is too long: I took a bunch of pictures, played around in Lightroom, and got something I felt was satisfactory.
    NoCard wrote: »
    #7 is the one for me, I can hear "Ride of the Valkyries" ringing in my ears, great series!

Thanks, NoCard! If it elicits a feeling for you, that is the most flattering comment I could possibly receive. Aside from, of course, "this is the greatest image I have ever seen." That's pretty flattering in most circles, hahaha.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Great shooting, Quincy, though I never could understand why anybody would jump out of a perfectly good airplane That last one is a classic. It deserves to be on display somewhere as a very large print.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 16, 2012
    Yowza! :wow

Really great work. You had a fabulous opportunity and you nailed it. Thanks for sharing these awesome shots. bowdown.gif
    edited February 16, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Great shooting, Quincy, though I never could understand why anybody would jump out of a perfectly good airplane That last one is a classic. It deserves to be on display somewhere as a very large print.
    kdog wrote: »
    Yowza! :wow

Really great work. You had a fabulous opportunity and you nailed it. Thanks for sharing these awesome shots. bowdown.gif

Gents I really can't tell you how much I appreciate these comments. I've been on a real downward slope lately, and needed to bounce back...I knew I had to make some good stuff. I wasn't even supposed to go up in the plane, really, but I just asked anyway for the heck of it, and look where it got me! hahaha

Russ, I will print it! It seems to be the most complimented of the bunch. I do like #10 also, so I might get that one as well, hahaha.

Thanks again guys.
    edited February 16, 2012
    Sorry for the double post, but:

I'm considering submitting one of these to 1x. Which would you all suggest? I'm thinking 10 or 12, but it's very difficult for me to decide.

If you think neither are worthy, say so. It's my last entry before I have to pay the moneyz.
    edited February 16, 2012
    I don't know what you are submitting to,but IMO #10 is the strongest . BTW really good work on this set, awesome shots!
    edited February 16, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    I don't know what you are submitting to,but IMO #10 is the strongest . BTW really good work on this set, awesome shots!

Thanks lens! Just so you are aware: http://www.1x.com
    edited February 17, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Thanks lens! Just so you are aware: http://www.1x.com

Hey
    Thanks for the link.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Love the series beginning with #7, 10 being outstanding. First six are okay, but not nearly as interesting or compelling.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    edited February 18, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    Love the series beginning with #7, 10 being outstanding. First six are okay, but not nearly as interesting or compelling.
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Splendid work sir!

Thanks!!

I think 10 is going to be my 1x submission. That one seems to get a lot of love.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Great access and a great set!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    #3, #10 and #12 for me... looks like those are trending :)

great shots!
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
    edited February 19, 2012
    Nir wrote: »
    Great access and a great set!

Thanks, Nir, I certainly am lucky to be able to simply ask "Sir, do you mind if I get on the Osprey for the next jump," and receive an enthusiastic yes.

Thank you, also, DeVerm.
    edited February 19, 2012
    What do you all think of this recrop of #10?

6905805189_500e14c7aa_b.jpg
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Nice shots, and yes I am way jealous!! One thing that kinda got my attention was the preparation, rigging etc to take a camera on a jump.

Back in the day....We would buy a $15.00 Kodak 35mm something or other, put it our pocket, then when over DZ throw the mule out the door first. We just couldn't get them to follow. They didn't seem to enjoy the experience much. :D Pull the camera out of your pocket, take pictures, put camera back in pocket, and crash. Of course Hollywood daylight jumps were far and few. Most were at night, and no we didn't have or could we have used a flash. :D

I have always thought about the quality of images one could get now with the modern digital cameras.

Get jump qualified and take your DLSR with you!!!

Sam
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Wow.. Q; Fanastic!

The last one is really good

Very nice work...
    Rags
    edited February 19, 2012
    Re crop of #10 works excellent IMO. thumb.gifthumb