Options

NHL hockey at the Shark Tank 2011-2012

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited March 3, 2012 in Sports
I've been told that I don't post enough and was asked to post some hockey. The Shark Tank is the nick-name of the home arena of the San Jose Sharks.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

1. The #2 goalie for the San Jose Sharks: Thomas Greiss. He played for the German team at the Olympics.
IMG2455-L.jpg

2. Captain Joe Thornton entering the rink from the Shark's Head
IMG2872-L.jpg

3. Dancing. Tommy Wingels (Sharks) and Olli Jokinen (Calgary)
IMG9537-L.jpg

4. jubilation. I call this my best non-goal photo ever!!!! The refs waved off this game winning goal, but replay showed that it was good! Sigh. I still love this frame.
IMG9553-L.jpg

5. Former captain Patrick Marleau
IMG6746-copy-L.jpg

6. Dan Boyle. I still love the way he plays
IMG6426-L.jpg

7. Shampoo+haircut needed. Adam Burish (Dallas Stars)
IMG4226-L.jpg

8. Mike Cammalleri. I think this was his first or second game in a Flames jersey. He was traded mid game by his former team and was pulled off the ice before the game ended!
IMG8878-copy-L.jpg

9. Kari Lehitonen
IMG4083-copy-L.jpg

10. Below the cross bar! Patrick Marleau against the Senators
IMG0274-copy-L.jpg

11. Brent Burns, @burnzie88. He's new to the Shark's, but is a fan favorite.
IMG2744-L.jpg

12. Open Net!!!! Joe Pavelski vs. Jonathan Quick (Kings)
IMG3114-L.jpg

13. Martin Havlat
IMG4558-L.jpg

14. Montreal Canadiens warmups. I love the santa hats from their fans!
IMG4774-L.jpg

15. Shark Tank with Sharky, the mascot on center ice.
IMG6860-copy-L.jpg

16. Jamie McGinn. Skaters tend to stick their tongues out and I'm not quite sure why.
IMG4631-L.jpg

17. Jim Vandermmer
IMG4727-L.jpg

18. In a Line!
IMG7034-copy-L.jpg

19. This is going to hurt.... Boye vs. Kevin Bieksa (Canucks)
IMG7044-copy-L.jpg

20. Mikka Kiprusoff
IMG8544-copy-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bigblue1cabigblue1ca Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Great shots, love seeing all of your hockey shots at the Shark Tank.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Burish has "Flow"!!!

Great shots! WB is perfect to my eye.

I'm jealous. Evidently the "Tank" has more relaxed rules on the types of camera's and lenses they let in the gate than the JLA does.

Oh, and Re: Dan Boyle. The Avalanche LOVES the way he plays too! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Great stuff April. You have to appreciate NHL arenas when they turn up the tv lights. You are the master when it comes to shooting hockey. I look forward to seeing more of your pics. j
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Overall a good set of shots. Being that you taught me lots of what I know about shooting hockey take these comments and critique as a compliment of how well you taught me.
    • I like #1 quite a bit the intensity on the eyes comes through.
    • I think #2 could pop a little more if you can reduce the noise some, I realize that you were shooting that in a dark introduction sequence, but the ice and speckling on the yellow section of the dashers is a little off putting.
    • #3 if a good shot, but the focus of the crow and the goalie makes the image a little disconnected for me. Everyone is staring in another direction from the action. I am amazed at how sharp the goalie still is between the two skaters. If not a hockey fan it is hard to understand what the goalie's head is doing floating in the middle of the two heads.
    • The scale on #4 is a little odd to me, but I still like the picture quite a bit. The fans look bigger to me than the players on the ice. Perhaps a closer crop to stop at the top of the glass might address the issue.
    • 5, 6, 7 are great player shots. They could be on trading cards.
    • I am really impressed with #8 I like the balance you got with the stick up and not having it cut off. Really a good shot as most people crop in and lose the stick but I think it helps define this picture.
    • You know I have a soft spot for goalie helmets and I like how sharp the focus is on the helmet for #9 and the DOF is great so the logo is out of focus but the helmet is in. Nice composition.
    • 10, 11, 12 are good shots with the white ice very consistent which always amazes me about your shots.
    • #14 is a great shinney shot of the Habs. Seeing the santa hats are great. They do travel well.
    • 15, 16, 17 are your standard great shots.
    • The only thing I think would make 18 better is if I knew where the puck was. I do like the fact everything is lined up like you said, even the goal cam.
    • 19 is a great shot. I really like how crisp the puck is. I wonder if a little de noising would even out the sweaters and ice.
    • 20 is my favorite of the group. I like how framed it is right down to the tie on the sweater being in the image.

Still a great set, one day I will shoot as well as you do. I just need more practice.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 17, 2012
    Always liked both the Sharks stuff and the NCWHL stuff you've posted. TG you don't have any of moi lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    bigblue1ca wrote: »
    Great shots, love seeing all of your hockey shots at the Shark Tank.
    Thank you! :D
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Great shots! WB is perfect to my eye.

I'm jealous. Evidently the "Tank" has more relaxed rules on the types of camera's and lenses they let in the gate than the JLA does.

Oh, and Re: Dan Boyle. The Avalanche LOVES the way he plays too! rolleyes1.gif
    I find that I'm pretty picky about WB for my hockey shots and the shark tank makes it easy due to HD TV lighting. In general, i'm the WB person in this xkcd comic. Especially in bad lighting situations, I just focus on the WB and tend to ignore the composition which isn't the best thing.

As for Dan Boyle, I think a few teams like him for that reason! rolleyes1.gif

Tha tank has relaxed rules in the sense that it allows you to bring in a camera unlike some rinks like Scotiabank Place, but it has many limits too. I really want my 70-200, but that's not allowed and I make due with what is legal.

As for the Joe, the limit is 80mm. It's better than nothing and depend on the seats, and your imagination, I think you can get some keepers. When i can not go tight, i got wide-wide and think outside the box. I'm still chasing my dream T&S shot at the tank. One day!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    john l wrote: »
    Great stuff April. You have to appreciate NHL arenas when they turn up the tv lights. You are the master when it comes to shooting hockey. I look forward to seeing more of your pics. j
    Thank you so much for your kind words. iloveyou.gif Just keep on shooting your grandkids! I hope they have a great season.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Overall a good set of shots. Being that you taught me lots of what I know about shooting hockey take these comments and critique as a compliment of how well you taught me.

Thank you for such good feed and it gives me food for thought especially in my editing process.

Your comment about #20 really surprised me because I really consider that a reject image in my mind. I only finished it off because I wanted a frame of Kipper, but otherwise, that frame would be deleted. I would classify #1 as my best frame followed by #3 (due to the body positions of the skaters) and #4 to to the celebration on the ice and in the stands.

You're making me question what is a keeper and what isn't.... Different eyes == a different set of opinions. mwink.gif

Thank you for the thought exercise.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Always liked both the Sharks stuff and the NCWHL stuff you've posted. TG you don't have any of moi lol3.gif
    I have gotten frames of the refs too rolleyes1.gif
    IMG4974-copy-M.jpg

I do wonder if you had ever ref'ed any of my game or if you threw me in the box. You would have been on the ice when I first started playing, and when I started, I couldn't stop and kept on running into people. I think for the first few games, I got into the sin bin at least once a game for roughing. Oops!
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    love your pix ! now where are the Leafs?
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    jmp2204 wrote: »

Jmp, can't you see Aktse only captures the highest quality hockey images? Having a Leafs jersey in any of her photos would just ruin her great work. :D

Well that and a quick glance at the Sharks home schedule reveals that the Leafs don't play in SJ this season.
  • Options
    MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    April... You get around the rink a bit. Where are you shooting from for shots like #12, #18 and #19?

Nice set.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • Options
    MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    April, this is a great set of shots. I love (and have played) hockey and these really bring out the emotion the players are going through on the ice. Great job!
  • Options
    jmp2204jmp2204 Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    bigblue1ca wrote: »
    Jmp, can't you see Aktse only captures the highest quality hockey images? Having a Leafs jersey in any of her photos would just ruin her great work. :D

Well that and a quick glance at the Sharks home schedule reveals that the Leafs don't play in SJ this season.
    aaahhhh
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Yup, welcome to the new scheduling paradigm. It used to be that each team played each team home and away each season. It is now set so that there is more conference and division play at the lost of as much East versus West games. Kind of disappointing at times.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2012
    Yup, welcome to the new scheduling paradigm. It used to be that each team played each team home and away each season. It is now set so that there is more conference and division play at the lost of as much East versus West games. Kind of disappointing at times.

I agree. Unfortunately the NHLPA vetoed the NHL resolution a couple of months ago that would have changed the alignment of the league a little (ex. Moved the Winnipeg Jets from the Southeast into the Central with the Wild and a few other changes based on georgraphy) and it would have also ensured that each team in the league played a home at home series vs. every other team each season. Something along those lines will likely resurface after the NHL and NHLPA work out their new CBA for next season.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    jmp2204 wrote: »
    BradfordBenn and bigblue1ca are correct. I see them about once every two years due to the scheduling paradigm.

I saw them when they came to town during a previous season (2010-2011)

1. james remier has an interesting helmet. hockey night in canada!
    1154819068_5ZrjU-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    MDalby wrote: »
    April... You get around the rink a bit. Where are you shooting from for shots like #12, #18 and #19?

Nice set.
    Actually, #12, #18, #19 are taken from the top row of the upper bowl. There isn't really a bad seat at the shark tank :D
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    April, this is a great set of shots. I love (and have played) hockey and these really bring out the emotion the players are going through on the ice. Great job!
    Thank you for your nice comments! And there seems to be a handful of people that play and love hockey at smuggy! :D:D:D:D:D

I play hockey and love the game; i really hope that it comes through in my frames!
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    We still miss Burnzie here in MN. He was the only player who lived here year-round, and his house in the suburbs was pretty much a zoo. Basement full of snakes, IIRC.

He had a bet with former teammate Nick Schultz, first one to get a haircut lost. Schultz gave in and cut his. Looks like Burns is still just rolling with it. What a nut. lol3.gif The accessibility of the players in the NHL is probably the reason it is my favorite pro sport.

Great shots, April. Takes a lot of game knowledge and timing to get great images of the action. thumb.gif
  • Options
    legatolegato Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2012
    The "limit" the tank has (last I checked) was 6", or the length of their ticket scanning devices... I've used a 135 f/2 there. Apparently I haven't uploaded my latest game to smugmug quite yet, so I'll have to edit this later. I was down by the glass in the handicap area, and had my 17-40 and 135. I'd love to bring the 70-200, but *pout*.

-j
    aktse wrote: »
    I find that I'm pretty picky about WB for my hockey shots and the shark tank makes it easy due to HD TV lighting. In general, i'm the WB person in this xkcd comic. Especially in bad lighting situations, I just focus on the WB and tend to ignore the composition which isn't the best thing.

As for Dan Boyle, I think a few teams like him for that reason! rolleyes1.gif

Tha tank has relaxed rules in the sense that it allows you to bring in a camera unlike some rinks like Scotiabank Place, but it has many limits too. I really want my 70-200, but that's not allowed and I make due with what is legal.

As for the Joe, the limit is 80mm. It's better than nothing and depend on the seats, and your imagination, I think you can get some keepers. When i can not go tight, i got wide-wide and think outside the box. I'm still chasing my dream T&S shot at the tank. One day!