Options

I hope Nikon

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited February 16, 2012 in Cameras
...has been keeping a "D700s" with the 16mp D4 sensor under tight wraps. Would be a perfect play for them to wait for Canon's next move and then reveal a D700s the next day.

There is now a gaping hole in Nikon's lineup that is only filled by the $6000 D4. Who wants to shoot 36mp all day and deal with the mountains of data in post? My 3.6 GHz iMac is slow enough with 21mp.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    FearNothing321FearNothing321 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    I think Nikon is going with the mind set of specific cameras for specific purposes
    Nikon D800, Pentax K1000

You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

Blue Moon Originals
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Thom Hogan's musings put it best.

http://bythom.com/

In short, Nikon DOES want to maximize the production runs of any sensor that they use exclusively, and the Nikon D4 sensor is DEFINITELY going to need to end up in a more affordable camera body because it's simply not profitable enough for them to ONLY fabricate a sensor for a $6,000 camera. (The D3X sensor was "shared" with Sony, who also used it in two other cameras at $3K and $2K)

HOWEVER, it's just not going to happen any time soon. Thom Hogan was even slightly surprised by the speed at which the D700 came out after the D3; within one year is "lightning fast" for Nikon. So, don't expect a D4 sensor in an affordable body to arrive any sooner than Feb 2013, or maybe even 2014. Sorry!

If anything, we might see a D3s sensor in a D700s. Unfortunately I doubt it; Nikon is going to have their hands full just producing and shipping the D4, D800, and probably a D400 later this year.

If anybody cares to check announcement dates, I would wager that "s" versions of cameras all appeared within 1-2 years of their predecessor. The D70s, D2Hs, D2Xs, D3s, ...anything else?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum