Options

act/scene

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited February 17, 2012 in The Big Picture
This is a crazy question to ask on a 'tog site but I know there are lots of dgrinners in the performing arts here.

If I refer to hours, minutes, and seconds I can say I'm talking about units of time.

So I can say something like "At what time did that occur?" and that would mean hours, minutes and maybe seconds.

If I refer to act, scene, like ACT I SCENE IV, is there some typical way that is refered to as a unit?

Can I say something like "At what ???? did that occur in the play?" and expect a response in terms of act/scene?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    This is a crazy question to ask on a 'tog site but I know there are lots of dgrinners in the performing arts here.

If I refer to hours, minutes, and seconds I can say I'm talking about units of time.

So I can say something like "At what time did that occur?" and that would mean hours, minutes and maybe seconds.

If I refer to act, scene, like ACT I SCENE IV, is there some typical way that is refered to as a unit?

Can I say something like "At what ???? did that occur in the play?" and expect a response in terms of act/scene?

Thanks in advance,

I usually ask, Where is such and such [in the Play]? They know I mean where in the play. Someone will usually answer, "after Laertes is Killed", someone else will chime in, "last Act, last Scene." Thats just my experience.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2012
    I've been thinking of calling unit "part". Someone still might answer with "The part where someone's cell phone went off." but it still would be close enough for my purposes... unless there is are real convention for this of course.

Needless to say what I am working on has nothing to do with the arts and everything to do with programming:D

Thanks
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I usually ask, Where is such and such [in the Play]? They know I mean where in the play. Someone will usually answer, "after Laertes is Killed", someone else will chime in, "last Act, last Scene." Thats just my experience.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    Looks like the running info track things like act 1, act1 scene 2... scene 1 is implicit. And depending on what you have to be getting done the unit might be page.

Thanks, this will be useful for some samples want I want to put together.
    DavidTO wrote: »