Options

My wife in the woods.

2»

Comments

• Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    that looks really blue in the background, not saying I don't like it, just a completely different look than the others.. Nice work MrJphoto
    check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
    http://www.scotthofferphotography.com
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Are her eyes, tree and her shirt the right colors? How about the whites of her eyes and her teeth?
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Also don't forget, if I understand correctly, Google Chrome does not do color management well and there is a bug filed on it (http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=143)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    Are her eyes, tree and her shirt the right colors? How about the whites of her eyes and her teeth?

Yep, they are dead on.

I did not know this about google chrome. I only use it.. I hate internet explorer.. wonder if that is why I see so many problems.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Hi Scott,

First let me say your wife is beautiful :)

At first I didn't care for the back highlights on her hair but after playing around with the image a bit that element grew on me.

Long story, short.

I played around with Elements 9 and FastStone Image Viewer and in the end I felt all that was necessary was a "adjust for skin tone" and some slight brightness/contrast adjustments.

Also cropped to 4/3's :)

Wifeinwoodscomparison.jpg

The composition may be a little tight on the left side and I'd consider cloning out the tree at the back left but this image needs to be printed...

Cheers, Don

BTW - 22" Dell IPS monitor calibrated with Spyder3 Pro.
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    On my calibrated moniter the original looks best.

The others look either cold or lacking in detail.

Also congratulations on having a beautiful wife, what a smile.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Every single one of these looks wrong to me by a lot, though the last one is closest. I think you'd have to go back to the original high res version to possibly save it. It's over-exposed and over-saturated and the color shift is very orange.

As for monitors, if you're serious about editing your photos, you need to have a good one and a color calibrating tool otherwise you're more likely to screw up the photos then to make them look better. I've got a Dell U2311H, which is fairly inexpensive and does a great job in conjunction with an x-rite i1 color calibrator.
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Every single one of these looks wrong to me by a lot, though the last one is closest. I think you'd have to go back to the original high res version to possibly save it. It's over-exposed and over-saturated and the color shift is very orange.

As for monitors, if you're serious about editing your photos, you need to have a good one and a color calibrating tool otherwise you're more likely to screw up the photos then to make them look better. I've got a Dell U2311H, which is fairly inexpensive and does a great job in conjunction with an x-rite i1 color calibrator.

Completely agree. The bunch seems orange, oversaturated/desaturated and all that.

If you shot this in RAW, restarting with the right color temp in RAW would really help. But, it doesn't if the monitor isn't calibrated right in the first place. Gotta know for sure that it is. Scott, aside the RAW color temp, what is your monitor color temp set to?

The profile applied was 'c2' and the web is sRGB. Converting it to sRGB would probably help before uploading. This is what I came up with, anyway:

41978228975476442378610.jpg
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    This thread is great. Never have I considered that we are ALL wrong. We all can't see colors properly. Do we need to hire a professional retoucher with $20,000 displays to actually tell us how this is supposed to look?

Meanwhile, while we are all wrong, we all think we are right. That's the best part. Calibrated displays or not, every one of these varies far too much.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the help with this. I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions everyone has given with all my heart. I am working off a toshiba satellite a505 laptop with whatever screen came with it, as for color temp of the screen? I have no idea... whatever it came with is what I have been using and didnt know you could even change it. When I get money I want to get a good monitor and desktop, but as of right now, I just dont have the funds and wanted to get a great looking picture of my wife edited to print. Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Here is a little better images for you too work with..

i-QcB9LK9.jpg

i-3TJTGJz.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    I am only wanting to print like a 5x7 for my desk.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    I often edit on a laptop; not as good as a snazzy high-contrast IPS screen, but it's fine if you calibrate. You can get a Huey calibration devicefor not too much money (I bought mine - an original Huey, not the Pro which now seems to be the only one available, although the price has sure dropped! - from another dgrinner, in fact, for about $40). It definitely makes a huge difference when adjusting colours and skintone thumb.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    Even though "we're all wrong," here's what looks right to me.

i-j3tfgvs-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    Even though "we're all wrong," here's what looks right to me.

i-j3tfgvs-L.jpg

Yeah, looks good here
  • Options
    Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2012
    THere's a lesson here, and I don't think we've pointed it out ... and it happens to wander down the road to what is becoming somewhat of an emerging mantra for me: get it right on the camera, rather than try to save something in pp. I think the OP recognizes the issues here, and I'd suggest it's a function of two things: balancing light (backlit=bad) and white balance. The orange cast off the shirt isn't helping, either.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Options
    canoesailorcanoesailor Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    THere's a lesson here, and I don't think we've pointed it out ... and it happens to wander down the road to what is becoming somewhat of an emerging mantra for me: get it right on the camera, rather than try to save something in pp. I think the OP recognizes the issues here, and I'd suggest it's a function of two things: balancing light (backlit=bad) and white balance. The orange cast off the shirt isn't helping, either.

It hasn't been mentioned because it doesn't apply.
    Several monitors on this thread, including my calibrated Imac, see this picture in different ways. That is nothing to do with the camera image it is to do with how the monitor displays the image.

Also the only way you can get an image close to right in camera is if you only ever work in Jpeg. Those of us that have outgrown Jpeg and shoot in RAW have to process the picture on the computer. It is rather like when we used film and had to have the negative processed.
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    I agree Canoe, very few images are posted here, without some type of PP. I don't think being backlit is an issue, it was handled nicely. I think several issues after that, the c2 profile doesn't play well with most image hosting sites (RGB). Secondly, yes, the hot pink shirt did splash somewhat, nothing that can't be PP'd. Lol, thirdly, that's what this site is for, to learn, and this thread most certainly is doing that lol.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
    Pupator, that looks nice on my screen too! Great job!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2012

IPS monitors have the best color reproduction and nowhere do I see these mentioned as IPS. Make sure they are first. Cause for this price there are quite a few IPS monitors you could acquire with very high display quality.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Scott,

I have an earlier model of this and am quite pleased with its color reproduction (when calibrated).

http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VP2365-LED-23-Inch-Monitor-Black/dp/B0053YKE72/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    First of all, lovely wife! But, I'll be honest here, Scott - I think her eyes and teeth are a little too nuclear. Trying bringing the exposure down a bit, maybe like this?

i-b2Npf4M-XL.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2012
    Yep, they are dead on.

I did not know this about google chrome. I only use it.. I hate internet explorer.. wonder if that is why I see so many problems.
    drop chrome and go Fire Fox....it has been great for me for the past several years 6++ ...ok now onto reading starting at 36...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    My experience in shooting backlit shots like this is that it is really hard to get the colors in the shadows right while still keeping the bright background looking reasonably normal. When I look at these variations, I don't find anything that manages to do both, at least to my eye. I have tried several approaches, including high-thresholding out the background, and local adjustments that separately contrast and color the shadows (in this case her face) and the surrounding areas. Not saying I have been particularly successful at this, but it usually results in some improvement.

To my eye, the contrasts in most of these versions are off as well...
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    If you don't want to splurge on a monitor yet, try getting the Huey Pro calibration device mentioned above - it works just fine on a laptop screen (as well as full size monitors). It's an inexpensive addition which makes a HUGE difference to editing results.